587,840 active members*
3,317 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Safety Zone > is machining/cnc bad for your health?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by roadtrip View Post
    thanks for all the replies, so it seem that cnc is a dangerous job, is this why this field is so demanding?
    How do you come to that conclusion?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Yes it's dangerous. You dealing with sharp objects all the time, possible cutter/part ejections at high velocities, burning coolant, metal fines, standing for hours at a time, and lots of stress. You need to put it in perspective though, ever watch Deadliest Catch ? Thats an extreeme job. on a scale of 1-10, i would say it's a 6. It probably wont kill you, but most machinist don't live to be 90 either.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    How do you come to that conclusion?
    i was just assumed that that the moment. To my common sense, i think that it doesnt matter how clean the shop is (which is not from what ive seen) or how frequently you use coolant to trap the dust. there will always some dust from those metals that floating in the air because there is such thing as a perfect clean environment. So you will evently inhaled in a huge junk of those toxic over long period of time and it might lead to cancer or other illness, but im no doctor or researcher so i cant really prove it. So i think what i really want to know is how many people out there have or think they are having illness due to being in this field.
    Another thing i want to know, aside from the problem i mentioned above, how high is the chance of getting accident, such as getting fingers cut off, burn skin, electrocuted..ect..thanks

In fact, I know several people with health issues from metal dust, or absorption. beryllium was very common, so was asbestos and lead. There are many others, and we may not know long term effects with carbon fiber,titanium, or other "newer" materials. Aluminum was even linked to Alzheimers, don't know if it was ever proven or not. Do we really know what some of these synthetic coolants are going to do long term?