587,131 active members*
3,247 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

The build starts now!

Parts have arrived to start building my FLA100. I received the extrusion and fasteners today. I hope to get a few hours of play time in before the little lady gets on me for spending to much time in the garage!

May the games begin!!!

jason75,

Now don't let your excitement get the best of you, WE NEED PICTURES!!!

Now, stop reading this, get back to work and remember to take lots of pictures.

BTW: Congrats & good luck with the build.

Randy,
    I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Pictures to come soon.

This is the extrusion from Automation4less.com I ordered it Monday night and it arrived Friday afternoon. It is cut to length but I will have to drill access holes and tap the ends. The extrusion and shipping was $429
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 429.jpg   434.jpg  

These are the fasteners and bits I ordered. I ordered full box amounts. I figured it was better to have more then what is needed as I'm sure there will be add on stuff in the future. I bought a access hole jig from 80/20. This will make drilling the access holes much easier and precise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 427.jpg  

Lights, Camera, Action!!!

jason75,

Plans= FREE
    80/20 Extrusion= $429
    Pictures= PRICELESS
    CNC Addiction= Very Co$tly

All we need now are pictures of progress. Just giving you greef. lol.

Take your time, measure once and cut twice. Or is that supposed to be the other way around? I like your thinking, regarding having extra fasteners. I prefer to follow the old Boy Scout motto: "Be Prepared".

Enough reading & posting, it's time to get back to work!

Randy,
    I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Tapping

I started to to tap the ends of the extrusion. I use my drill to tap. I know some of you will disagree with this but I have done it for 10 years at work with extrusion. A shot of WD40 on the tap and it runs in just fine. Speeds the process up.

Hopefully later tonight when the wifey gets done wiht me at the home and garden show I can finish tapping and drilling access holes so I can start putting the frame together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   004.jpg  

So you ordered Monday night and it arrived Friday? That was a very fast turnaround, did you pay for expedited shipping or is that standard for Automation4less?

Looks like you have a heckuva start, can't wait to see it run.

It was just standard shipping. The folks at Automation4less got it out quick!

Access Holes

This morning I was able to get the access holes drilled. I used the drill jig to make this easier. I placed the jig in the extrusion and then used a peice of scrap that was flat on the bottom to make sure the jig was flush to the end of the extrusion. On the jig you can see the center lines. This made measuring easy for the holes in the middle of the extrusion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 005.jpg   006.jpg   008.jpg  

Done with tapping and drilling

I finished drilling and tapping. So I guess this is what the "kit" would like. I saved about $240 for about 3 hours of labor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 009.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by jason75 View Post
    I finished drilling and tapping. So I guess this is what the "kit" would like. I saved about $240 for about 3 hours of labor.
    Cool jig, where did you get it from and how much was it?

Actually you saved more than $240 because the $670 that FLA charges doesn't include shipping. The shipping charge to where I live is an additional $54. It's possible you saved at least $290.

I'm not knocking FLA by any means, but an aluminum extrusion build might seem out of someone's price range and they might go the MDF route instead.

Access hole jig

Nothing against Fine Line Automation at all. Nate has been good enough to pass the FLA100 plans along at no charge and answer many questions. The money I save on stuff that I can do myself will go to FLA for things I can't.

The jig is from 80/20 Ebay store. I make a lot of safety cages for automation and such at work and have learned the tools that 80/20 have to offer are invaluable for making quick precise access holes. This jig is for the 1530 series. 80/20 part number is 15S 6130. I think the actual part number is just 6130 but you have to make sure you get the right series. The price was $38.25. Well worth it to make sure your holes are centered in the t-slot and spaced apart exactly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 015.jpg   016.jpg  

Base together

I finally was able to get the base together today. I used the end connectors. These help keep everything square when tightening the bolts down. The base went together really good. I plan on getting my rail material and start making them and then some kits from FLA so I can get the gantry built and on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 005 (2).jpg   012 (2).jpg  

Got my Power Transfer and CNCrouterparts bundles ordered Monday!! Also get my rail material today after work!!

Rails

I was able to get my rail material this week at the local scrap yard. The cost was $51 for the material and to have them cut to length. I drilled the holes using the Haas at work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 006 (2).jpg   008 (3).jpg  

Looks like it's coming along real nice

More Parts

My cncrouter.com parts and FLA power transfer parts came today!!! Hopefully I'll get back to building Friday evening.

Some Progress

I was able to play last night for a bit. I worked on getting some drive components together. I attached one of the rails. I used a flat piece of scrap to get the rail flush with the extrusion on the inside of the frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 009 (3).jpg   008 (4).jpg   007 (3).jpg   003.jpg  

No reply from FLA

I received my $700 order from FLA about two weeks ago. I was short two thrust bearings.................less then $4 in parts. Not a huge deal. I sent Nate several emails letting him know I was short these parts. He hasn't replied to any of them. I picked the parts up at the local Grainger branch this week. I will not be a return customer to FLA.

Page 1 of 2 12