587,569 active members*
3,605 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 133 of 186 3383123131132133134135143183
Results 2,641 to 2,660 of 3716
    Anyone wanting the Aztec calendar gcode files, can download the Aztec-Mayan Calendar G-code file at Arbo's download site by clicking on the following link. The one zip file contains 16", 24", and 30" diameter gcode files and a readmefirst file. These were created by jsantos and are the files I have been cutting and showing here. The files are set up to cut in the same orientation as you see it displayed in Mach3. (standard Cartesian coordinates)

List File Gallery

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

A new (old) addition to the shop equipment

I got a call from a friend three days ago who offered me and old Grizzly 16" band saw if I wanted it for salvage parts for my home projects. I went to look at it yesterday and brought it home. The table and tubular steel fence rails had a thick layer of rust, but I was able to sand it down to smooth cast iron with no apparent pitting. The rails were supposed to be chromed but it was the thinnest chrome plating I ever saw. It has dark places in the almost bare steel but there is no rust now, just what looks like blued steel. I waxed the sanded metal to help prevent new rust formation.

I cleaned the whole saw and made some adjustments. It runs fine, but the cast aluminum blade guide parts are broken and in need of replacements. If the parts are not available at a reasonable cost I will machine the parts from 6061 aluminum or mild steel. The tires on the blade wheels looks like new. I doubt this saw has seen much use in its lifetime. I was told that it was new in the late 80s- early 90s.

Whatever, it was "free as in beer".

CarveOne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0492.jpg   DSCN0498.jpg   DSCN0497.jpg  
    CarveOne

It's who you know...

Nice score!

Isn't it great to have nice friends (or nice to have great friends).

C1, you do know that I consider you a great friend? (hint, hint) :wave:

Randy,
    I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

SCORE !!!

I get wood, you get tools.

No more lamenting from you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DIYaholic View Post
    Nice score!

Isn't it great to have nice friends (or nice to have great friends).

C1, you do know that I consider you a great friend? (hint, hint) :wave:

Randy,
    Thanks Randy,

It's not that often something like this comes my way. I made this guy and his wife one of the Aztec and Mayan Haab calendars last year. This was his way of giving back. He is interested in the stuff I'm doing now and just wanted to to help in some way.

Doing good things for others sometimes has unexpected rewards.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Quote Originally Posted by atwooddon View Post
    SCORE !!!
    I think so too. The newer Grizzly 14" band saws look like the upper roller bearing guide assemblies may fit the same diameter sliding shaft. Not so sure about the lower assembly. I'll do some research (download the PDF manuals) and maybe give Grizzly customer service a call. Also see if Carter has any after market replacements that will work.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Quote Originally Posted by zool View Post
    I get wood, you get tools.

No more lamenting from you!!!
    I'll get either when I can. When there's no room left for air in the shop I'll have enough. (Then I'll see about building another shop.)

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Ok guys, my work shop is going to be out of commission all of next week.

The insulation guy I called this morning will give me a quote later today on putting blow-in insulation in it, and come do the job middle of next week after I do preliminary work to get it ready. I'll be busy during the day and sore as heck in the evenings. Need to get this done before really hot weather gets here. I'll be checking in here though.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Free Beer!!!

Good luck with the shop insulation rehab. Just be sure not to over do it and need to rehab yourself!

Remember that with enough cold beer:cheers:, help is usually easy to find!

Randy,
    I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Good luck with the shop insulation rehab. Just be sure not to over do it and need to rehab yourself!

Remember that with enough cold beer:cheers:, help is usually easy to find!

Randy,
    One guy has already offered help. He is the same guy that just gave me the Grizzly band saw. Didn't even ask for beer... I'm sure that I'll need one (or two) by evening.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    One guy has already offered help. He is the same guy that just gave me the Grizzly band saw. Didn't even ask for beer... I'm sure that I'll need one (or two) by evening.

CarveOne
    That is the way to get them! Fixer uppers are always better

Then you know every inch of the machine by the time your done!

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    That is the way to get them! Fixer uppers are always better

Then you know every inch of the machine by the time your done!
    I looked at the upper blade guide on my Jet band saw yesterday while cutting some OSB and I could swear that it will fit the Grizzly. I'll measure the shaft diameter today and look at the lower bearing guide also. Surely it's not as simple to repair the old Grizzly band saw as ordering replacement guides for some other newer machine. My luck just doesn't work like that.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    I looked at the upper blade guide on my Jet band saw yesterday while cutting some OSB and I could swear that it will fit the Grizzly. I'll measure the shaft diameter today and look at the lower bearing guide also. Surely it's not as simple to repair the old Grizzly band saw as ordering replacement guides for some other newer machine. My luck just doesn't work like that.

CarveOne
    I have a sears professional band saw, 14" i believe. It has served me well over the years. I dread the day of me rebuilding it, but i will i am sure. first thing iwill do is rolling lockable wheels, with adjustment to keep it level. Would make it so nice to move around. Have a drill press and sander which need the same treatment.

Free is always good, and rebuilding is always (usually) fun

the arrangement I prefer is the three wheel with 2 fixed wheels in the real and one swivel wheel in the center of the front. The center wheel is on a cam lift arrangement and when I step on the lever the wheel goes down and stays fore movement and then comes back up when movement is over. When I take the tension off the swivel wheel then there is a adjustable foot on either side of the front for leveling and holding the tool in place.

I have made one of these and then bought several off of the Cummings tool truck. The problem with them is they were of a fixes size base but I would cut and insert oak for length to extend the base..

Never really found locking wheels to be all that good for tools..

Garry

PS
    Another thing I just did is bought a HF ATV lify that I am using as Cheap pallet jack. Its takes a quite a bit of clearance but works well with many things.

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    I have a sears professional band saw, 14" i believe. It has served me well over the years. I dread the day of me rebuilding it, but i will i am sure. first thing iwill do is rolling lockable wheels, with adjustment to keep it level. Would make it so nice to move around. Have a drill press and sander which need the same treatment.

Free is always good, and rebuilding is always (usually) fun
    When I bought the Jet 14" band saw I also got the Jet 3 wheel mobile base for it. The two fixed wheels have a knob on top that pushes a curved metal band against the top of the wheels. The third wheel is a typical locking caster. That arrangement has worked well enough over the past 8 years or so.

The homemade moving dolly I put the Grizzly on is temoprary. I made the dolly for moving my 750 pound milling machine 5 years ago. It has been too handy around the shop to ever disassemble it. One of the casters is dragging and I should have oiled the axles and bearings before putting the band saw on it. DOH!

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Man, I feel like I was the bad guy in a Jean-Claude Van Damme movie! Only half of the attic work in the shop is done. Ran into issues, and figuring out how to deal with it took longer than expected.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Is the Doctor in?

Take two asprin, (Tylenol, Advil or whatever works for you) to relieve muscule pain. Then, thourghly lubricate all joints with ample amounts of beer (or any adult beverage of your choice)!

Randy
    I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Take two asprin, (Tylenol, Advil or whatever works for you) to relieve muscule pain. Then, thourghly lubricate all joints with ample amounts of beer (or any adult beverage of your choice)!

Randy
    A couple of frozen margaritas usually relieve muscle and joint pain very nicely, but I didn't have any. No beer either. Just groan and bear it.

I wasn't happy with all the weight from the boards I was adding to the middle of the trusses, and the "floor space" I would be left with wasn't worth it, so I gave up the idea of having storage space up there for no more use than it would be. This morning I removed the boards I had installed yesterday and just framed around the attic ladder so that 15" of insulation could bring it up to local home insulation code. This lets the insulation installers do their thing quicker, with no obstacles in the way.

I'll bore the holes in the 7/16" OSB wall paneling this afternoon and they can start work tomorrow if they wish to. The sooner it's over the better I'll like it.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Randy
    Agreed. lol

Page 133 of 186 3383123131132133134135143183