587,132 active members*
3,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

This is how I plan to solve the gantry end support issue... It can be cut from a single piece of 1/4" steel, and then bent up with a single weld on the outside of the corner...

Alternatively, I was thinking of making a block out of 3/4" aluminum to bolt across the bearing cars, and another bolted to the back of the first piece to form the back of the box, then a piece of 1/4" steel on the outside, bolted to the first two pieces...

My CNC Router/Plasma Build Thread

I think you are going to have problems finding a machine that can bend 1/4" steel with square corners accurately like your rendering depicts. Maybe one bend and a second plate welded in place to complete it is more do-able.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    I think you are going to have problems finding a machine that can bend 1/4" steel with square corners accurately like your rendering depicts. Maybe one bend and a second plate welded in place to complete it is more do-able.

CarveOne
    Yeah, that's why I included the 'alternatively' part....

I'm gonna pre-fab mine out of 3/4" plywood during mock-up.. I may end up just welding all three pieces out of 1/4" steel.. 3/4" aluminum is expensive!

In reality, my gantry will probably extend about 1.75" past the outer bearing car, so if needed I could bend 'that' angle... and then weld a plate on the back side...

It's going to take a serious commercial hydraulic fabrication machine to make a square inside corner with 1/4" steel and not have fatigue cracking in the bend. That's stretching the steel quite a bit in the outer part of the bend.

I would recommend welding three precut pieces using a welding jig plate fixture to maintain 90 degree angles. The 3/4" aluminum plate may be cheaper in the long run if you have to pay a welding shop to do it for you.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

I have a little time to work all that out.. But I have about a week to decide on the motor/driver/PS package.... And I'm clueless...

I could really use some help in that area.. My new machine build thread is a couple threads down in this forum...

I've actually come full circle, as some others pointed out. I will be using the gantry interface plate shown in the first post. Advantages are a smaller machine footprint relative to cutting area. It also moves the complexity to the gantry assembly instead of the table assembly, which will save about 200 inches of aluminum and $200.

I was gone for a few days looking at some shop spaces in Cincinnati. I think I found one that will work. So now it is time to start purchasing. I will start with the motors and electronics first and continue to revise the design of the aluminum and steel frame.

I made the first purchase last week. Aluminum heatsinks for the drivers.
    They were only $1 and the perfect size. I couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by curriergroh View Post
    I've actually come full circle, as some others pointed out. I will be using the gantry interface plate shown in the first post. Advantages are a smaller machine footprint relative to cutting area. It also moves the complexity to the gantry assembly instead of the table assembly, which will save about 200 inches of aluminum and $200.

I was gone for a few days looking at some shop spaces in Cincinnati. I think I found one that will work. So now it is time to start purchasing. I will start with the motors and electronics first and continue to revise the design of the aluminum and steel frame.

I made the first purchase last week. Aluminum heatsinks for the drivers.
    They were only $1 and the perfect size. I couldn't resist.
    Would you be willing to identify the source for the heatsinks? I have a need
    for a similar size. Thanks for this thread, I enjoy reading this and seeing all
    of your plans.

Carl
    Regards, Carl