587,600 active members*
4,319 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Joes CNC Model 2006 > Bearing Adjustment and X-axis Twist Problems

Bearing Adjustment and X-axis Twist Problems

Hi, I've been working on a Model 2006 R2 kit for a few years now and finally have it moving around. I'm setting it up to run with Mach3 and Rockcliff controller, but am having problems getting the X and Y axis to travel the whole span without stalling the motors.

I've seemed to have narrowed the problem down to my inaccurately made bearing supports. At one end of each axis, the motors will stall. I'm able to get the Y to get to the end by loosening the adjustment bolts and then snugging them down again, but it will be very sloppy at the opposite end. So should I just remake the bearing supports? Or, has someone found a way to compensate? Heh, obviously I had a hard time making the brackets in the first place.

Also, the X axis table has a slight twist to it. Looking eye level from one end to the other, one corner on the opposite side is higher than the others. The frame was glued together all straight, but must have warped when gluing the top and bottom skins. Can this be corrected by skimming a spoil board flat relative to the machine? Or, will i have to remove the top and bottom skins and reglue? Thanks for any help you can offer!

If you are having binding issues at each end then you likely have misalignment as you stated. I just made the holes in my bearing holder biger to give some slop. I moved all the way to the edge then tightened the bolts and it seen to fix my problems.

As far as the twist in your table, it is going to be difficult to remove the skins and re-glue. Not sure how twisted your table is, but your best bet would be to surface your top or your spoil board. Does the machine sit flat on your table or stand? Does it wobble? You might also check your stand or table (whatever you have your 2006 sitting on) to ensure it is flat and level.

Biss

If the entire table is twisted along the x axis, does that mean your rails (pipe) are twisted also? If so, surfacing the table wont fix that problem the surface will also be twisted. However, if it is just the table surface that is twisted but the rails are not then surfacing the table or a new 'thin' spoil board that you surface would fix the problem.

Don

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll have to do some disassembling, but I'll try oversizing and readjusting how they sit.

I can steady the machine by shimming a leg. The gantry seemed to move freely to both ends before the drive shaft was put in, so I think the axis pipes are in straight.

Make sure your rockcliff controller has enough power to move the gantry, you should use a 36v controller with 305oz motors to have a nice cutting machine. perhaps your controller is to week to move the gantry, the rockcliff machine is a small lighter weight machine.
    Thanks,
    Joe

www.joescnc.com
    joecnc2006 at yahoo

Well I ended up remaking the brackets by gluing templates, center drilling and then drilling to size. They turned out way better and seemed to solve the problem of getting stuck at the ends of the axises. I've started posting about my build here: Black Rynius' Blog. Just showing off the workstation and stuff like wire protection. Thanks for the help.