587,613 active members*
3,904 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Compact II?

Hybrid View

applicon

Seeing as there are acutally some posts here regarding applicon bravo I tought I would ask... Does anyone know where I can get another hardware key/copy of applicon?

I've been programming my lathes with bravopc 5.5 for the past 10+ years and haven't found anything that works as well for me doing family part programming.

I would love to pick up another copy/hardware key just to have a back up. If anyone has one they would like to sell or knows of anyone with a copy please let me know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nate-RCR View Post
    Seeing as there are acutally some posts here regarding applicon bravo I tought I would ask... Does anyone know where I can get another hardware key/copy of applicon?

I've been programming my lathes with bravopc 5.5 for the past 10+ years and haven't found anything that works as well for me doing family part programming.

I would love to pick up another copy/hardware key just to have a back up. If anyone has one they would like to sell or knows of anyone with a copy please let me know.

Thanks
    This is why i started this thread Nate, there is none or little support for this software anymore and there is nothing new that will touch the speed or control you have when doing familyparts using the parametrics. We have 4 seats at our place and some of the pc's have been replaced before already so we put the old networkcard into the new computer as the key is locked to the mac address of the network card. Problem is now if the netcard fails its game over.
    Keith.

Doin it the 80's way, or maybe, Deja Vu all over again

I used Compact II in the 80's but it wasn't able to offer much in the way of 3D and 3 axis control, so in 1985 I switched to NCL developed by NCCS, they are still around in Irvine CA.

Like COmpact II, APT and NCL, there were several systems available at that time that worked using the same type of editable written language, it was sort of in-vogue to do it that way probably because the computer mouse and screen pointers were still like invisible cloaks and anti-gravity machines back then.

These languages allowed the programmer to include macros and parametric variables which could be saved in libraries, it was a very powerful way to do part families, similar parts or in the case of NCL and APT to repeat complex 3D and 4 or 5 axis tool path strategies.

The company whose software I used back then is still around, last I heard they are in Irvine CA, I have no idea what their product consists of today, but they have users that have stuck with them for 30+ years. I dropped them sometime ago because I don't do part families or similar parts any more, but anyone who still wants to do it the 80's way may want to contact them....

Interesting thread,
    I still have PCAPT with Cadkey geometry and N/C Verify did lots of parts.
    Been using APT since 68 but now have a Mastercam X5 to use.
    NCCS or NCL is alive and expensive
    5 axis cam software & postprocessor with highspeed machining
    Been doing this too long

drop me a line, ill send u a copy w' instructions and full nodelock

Quote Originally Posted by martinsimpson78 View Post
    Hi Martin, just read your post, i sent you a PM.
    Keith

Compact II

I just read through these posts. It brought back some memories of teletypes, yellow roll paper, black paper tape for prove outs and mylar for proven programs, using QED (quick editing device) for cleaning up the outputs - watching the HP pen plotters draw out the geometry and then the tool path. I also remember having to "read" the tape output when there was an error reading the tape at the machine (think hanging "chad"). Got really good at finding the stop codes, space bars, carriage returns and line feeds in the paper tape.

Every month we would have to go through the on-line bill from MDSI and break out the costs to the proper job. We eventually got a PDP11 in-house and then we could really push the window of what you could do with part boundaries, rotations, family of parts and macro family of processes.

We had an assistant whose job was to enter our programs into the system - writing out the program on paper in CII forced you to logically layout the various processes.

I watch at what is being done today and wonder how things are going to be in another thrity-five years -

Amazing

it's still alive...

I just started a new job in May and we are still using Bravo, we're on Bravo8... my job will be to eventually replace it. I have so far, rewritten several of the links and written several macros in those old links to support the probing that is being done on castings.

TruePrecision mentioned NICAM IV, back in 1990 I trained under their (Automation Intelligence) staff for writing post-processors for their Expedite 3D software.

At any rate, I am wondering if anyone knows how to suppress output in a link, in order to get the F-Code to come out I am having to use a LINEAR_MOT statement but that is also putting out a G1, I probably can't have that because it may interfere with the Renishaw probe macro, but may it will be ok?? Not sure; this is basically what I am getting (see N0007):

Code:
    (////  PROBE   ////)
    (TOOL 1  PROBE SEAT AND SET CENTERLINE)
    N0001T1M6
    N0002G90G0X0.Y0.B180.S650M3
    N0003G43Z8.H1
    N0004M5
    N0005M44
    N0006M23
    N0007G1G65P9810Z2.113F30.
    N0008G65P9023Y.5A3.
    N0009G91G28Z0.
    N0010M24
    N0011M45
    N0012M1
    btw, I am running this under Windows7, MSFT put out an XP virtual machine (for free) that I use to run it. It's pretty slick, I have dual monitors, W7 on the right and XP on the left.

Also, as I alluded to, I'm writing these links so perhaps we can pool our knowledge and help each other out. We've got thousands of programs here so we will likely keep this going for another few years before we completley move away from this, if we are ever actually able to. This is fantastic for the family-of-parts work that we do!
    -making chips since '78
    -C, Pascal, Assembler, G-Code, Post Processor

Hello all,

Wanted to take a moment to correct the email address for Leon Korkowski. Need to add an "L" in front of it all...

In regards to the problem that ttx336 is having, I do not have the best solution, but you can always create a macro in MS Word to remove, replace or insert your desired text (code), and run the .tap file through that before you send it out to the floor. It is an extra step, but a quick one.

We use Applicon everyday and have since the early 90's. Getting in touch with Leon this week, got a new W7-32bit machine to replace the tired XP.

Quote Originally Posted by ttx336 View Post
    I just started a new job in May and we are still using Bravo, we're on Bravo8... my job will be to eventually replace it. I have so far, rewritten several of the links and written several macros in those old links to support the probing that is being done on castings.

TruePrecision mentioned NICAM IV, back in 1990 I trained under their (Automation Intelligence) staff for writing post-processors for their Expedite 3D software.

At any rate, I am wondering if anyone knows how to suppress output in a link, in order to get the F-Code to come out I am having to use a LINEAR_MOT statement but that is also putting out a G1, I probably can't have that because it may interfere with the Renishaw probe macro, but may it will be ok?? Not sure; this is basically what I am getting (see N0007):

Code:
    (////  PROBE   ////)
    (TOOL 1  PROBE SEAT AND SET CENTERLINE)
    N0001T1M6
    N0002G90G0X0.Y0.B180.S650M3
    N0003G43Z8.H1
    N0004M5
    N0005M44
    N0006M23
    N0007G1G65P9810Z2.113F30.
    N0008G65P9023Y.5A3.
    N0009G91G28Z0.
    N0010M24
    N0011M45
    N0012M1
    btw, I am running this under Windows7, MSFT put out an XP virtual machine (for free) that I use to run it. It's pretty slick, I have dual monitors, W7 on the right and XP on the left.

Also, as I alluded to, I'm writing these links so perhaps we can pool our knowledge and help each other out. We've got thousands of programs here so we will likely keep this going for another few years before we completley move away from this, if we are ever actually able to. This is fantastic for the family-of-parts work that we do!
    If you are still stuck with this problem
    Try create a edi file in your linklib folder eg "removeG1.edi" in this file enter the following

SET QUIET ON
    SET FINDCONF OFF
    SET WILD ON

FIND [G1G65] S/G1//

and save it. s=substitute then /G1/ is replaced with // nothing between slashes therefore its removed.
    To call this in your .src file, append the top of file like so,

MACHIN,3420,HASS,EXE(C:\BRAVO3\LINKLIB\HASS.EDI)

All the best,
    Keith.

Re: Compact II?

HELLO MARTIN,
    WE ARE TRYING TO MOVE OUR APPLICON VERSION 8 TO A NEW SERVER.
    CAN YOU TELL US HOW TO DO THIS OR TO GET ANOTHER SEAT OF COMPACT II?
    THANK YOU,
    DAVE SEAMAN
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by martinsimpson78 View Post
    Is this information still available?

Quote Originally Posted by JRU View Post
    Is this information still available?
    PM me at [email protected]