587,366 active members*
3,538 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > RS-232 Setup for Miyano w/Fanuc OT

Unhappy RS-232 Setup for Miyano w/Fanuc OT

Can someone help me with this type of connection. I am having a hard time understanding exactly what to do to connect a laptop to the machine. I do have the "special" cable with the proper wire to pin arrangement that Miyano requires. My basic setup: 9pin female to 25pin male(machine end). Com1 on computer.

I guess I need a push in the right direction for making sure baud rate, bits, parity, etc. are correct. Also, do I need a special program to accomplish the connection? Will Hyperterminal do?

Thanks!

Jerry,

Here are my hyperterminal settings for my Puma with Fanuc OT control. You will have to check your baud rate in the parameters to see what is is. If it's not 4800, change the settings in hyperterm to match what you have.

Sump Cleaner
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails settings.JPG  

Jerry,

Here is a better soloution than hyperterminal. It does have it's hang ups and limitations. Go to cadem.com and download NC Lite. This is free DNC software with file transfer for one machine but no dripfeeding. Install this software on your laptop and set to the settings below. You will still have to check the baudrate on your OT control and match the software settings to it.

Good luck with it,

SC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails general.JPG   machine.JPG   nc.JPG   recieve.JPG  

transmit.JPG   pinouts.JPG  

Angry Sos

OK. I downloaded the NCLite progra, and configured it according to the instructions. Still nothing. Machine is outputting the program (output flashes on screen) with no alarms, so I think the cable should be OK. COM1 port on my computer checks out OK too. All baud rates, parity, stop bits appear to match. I'm lost....

Here is the detail for my machine and computer settings:

Fanuc OT

TVON - 0
    ISO - 1
    Inch - 1
    I/O - 0
    Seq - 0

PWE - 0
    TapeF - 0

Parameters
    0002 - 00000001
    0012 - 00000101
    0552 - 9
    0553 - 9
    Hardware

I also tried Hyperterminal in Win95:
    2400 Baud
    Even
    Hardware
    Transmit Buffer - Low
    Receive Buffer - Med High

ANy suggestions?

Jerry,

I checked my machine settings and the only difference I can see is as follows

0002 - 00000011
    0012 - 10000001

When I send to my Puma, I send the program first from the computer and then hit the input on the CNC.

When I send from my puma, I get the computer ready to recieve and then output from the puma.

I don't know what else to tell you. This set-up works flawlessly for me. Maybe someone with a little more experience can jump in here and help out?

SC

Check the signal output with an oscilloscope to make sure it is working. Also triple check the wiring for shorts or broken wires. All the wiring and settings look textbook.

Sending from Fanuc 0T

When you send the program from the Fanuc and the "OUTPUT" symbol blinks, does it go off after a short while ? If not, then the Fanuc is being inhibited from sending because of the CTS signal (pin 5 on the Fanuc).

If the OUTPUT symbol blinks for a while, then goes off, that means that the Fanuc is, in fact, sending the data. If the OUTPUT symbol stays blinking forever, then you've got to find out why the Fanuc does not have a signal on pin 5. Normally, this signal is wired to the RTS signal on the PC side (pin 7 on a 9-pin serial port). You can jumper pins 4 & 5 together on the Fanuc plug also, but then the Fanuc can send data even when the PC isn't ready.

Your parameters and your PC settings look OK to me.

Hmmm

Dan,

At this point the output signal flashes until I stop the transmission manually. I did however, at one point get it to flash for awhile then shut off like you described (I think I changed the ISO parameter or something...). If I upload a schematic of the cable, can you tell me if my cable was made properly?

Fanuc serial cable

Sure, no problem. Sounds like the CTS signal on pin 5 of the Fanuc isn't getting anything. There are a bunch of cable configurations that will work. Send us yours and we'll see what you've got.

I think it might be useful for you to pickup a RS-232 mini tester. It basically plugs in series with your RS232 cable and the device. You can easily test your cable and RS232 port functionality at the same time. I bought mine from radioshack years ago (back when they were actually selling electronic components). Their catalog number is 276-1401. I can not find it on their website anymore though. I am pretty sure you can pick one up locally at an elertronic component store. You can goggle "rs232 mini tester" if you can not find one locally.

Victory!

Problem solved... Turned out to be a bad cable. The schematic that I got from Miyano gave me the incorrect pin/wire configuration (go figure!). I ended up having to make a new one based on the data I got from Fanuc. Transferring data like a champ!

Big thanks to Dan Fritz for his help in the matter!

Hello everyone. I have MIYANO BNC 34S with FANUC 0T control.
    I also have problem with connection with my PC.
    Can someone upload schematic of the cable and parameters for machine.

What bound rate is required.

Quote Originally Posted by djosalan View Post
    What bound rate is required.
    Baud rate??
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Program Input

Hi All,
    I can output programs to our Bobcad V21 from the Program screen (Fanuc OT) by typing in the program number OXXXX and pressing Output. Works fine.
    I can't find in the manual how to Input or load a program. Everything I have tried gives me the 086 error - reader not ready. Any help please?
    Thanks,
    H

Quote Originally Posted by hmc710 View Post
    Hi All,
    I can output programs to our Bobcad V21 from the Program screen (Fanuc OT) by typing in the program number OXXXX and pressing Output. Works fine.
    I can't find in the manual how to Input or load a program. Everything I have tried gives me the 086 error - reader not ready. Any help please?
    Thanks,
    H
    This is normally caused by incorrect cable configuration at the machine end. It means that the DSR line is turned off (not powered). If software handshaking is used the machine's Uart has to be fooled into thinking that its OK to receive data, notwithstanding that the Hardware lines are not being used to control the data flow. This is pin 6 at the machine side and is powered off of pin 20.

The following cable pin out and parameter settings will work for you.

Bit 0 = 1
    Bit 2 = 0
    Bit 7 = 1
    #552 = 10 (4800 Baud) Starting point

Control Set Page Settings
    I/O = 0
    ISO Format

Cable pin out for Xon Xoff (software handshaking)

Machine End----------------------------PC End
    DB25 Male Connector----------------DB9 Female-----DB25 Female
    2---------------------------------------2-----------3
    3---------------------------------------3-----------2
    | bridged

|
    8 all bridged
    |

7---------------------------------------5-----------7

PC Software settings
    Handshake Method = Xon Xoff
    Baud Rate = 4800 (set the same as machine) starting point
    Data Bits = 7
    Stop Bits = 2
    Parity Bit = Even

Unless there is a fault with either the Machine Control or the PC, the above will definitely establish communication both ways between machine and PC

To Upload a program from PC to Machine depends a bit on the transfer software being used on the PC. Some software allows for the PC to be made ready to send and will wait for the control to send an Xon control character to the PC to commence the transmission; others will start sending immediately, irrespective of whether the control is ready or not.

If the PC can be made ready and wait for the control, do so and then with the control in EDIT, type O plus the program number then press INPUT. If the program being sent from the PC has a program number commencing with "O" listed at the start of the program, you need only press INPUT at the control without specifying a program number.

If the PC software is unable to wait for the control to initiate the transfer, get the Control ready first by inputting O plus program number then press INPUT with the control in EDIT mode. Go to the PC and send the program. Again, if the program being sent has a valid program listed, you can just press INPUT with the control in EDIT mode without specifying a program number.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks Bill,
    We did not have Pin 8 brideged w/6&20. Added it in and it works fine.

Dear all
    i need the parameter of miyano ANC 45 S , Fanuc control OT
    any body here help me ?
    thanks
    [email protected]