587,297 active members*
4,043 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > boolian subtract not working

boolian subtract not working

I have version 23. My boolian subtract has decided to quit working. It now has decided to become boolian add. I highlight the solid i want to keep then the solid i want to remove hit ok and it becomes one big solid. It worked before and it will work on a different drawing. What went wrong.

I have similar issues with V24. Only works (for my situation) if thing to be removed is not imbedded in other part. Seems to be ok with something "pressed" into other part. I cut my piece to be roved into 2 sections.

Angry

I have now tried it in both versions and same result. It is just an irregular shaped pocket with radius fillits on the bottom that I am trying to remove out of another solid. I am baffled. This does not help with turn around time on a customers job . Slowly losing faith in bobcad.

Try turning on your surface normals and make sure they are all pointing to the "outside" of both parts. Sometimes it's as simple as reversing a few to get the boolean to work.

Thanks for the info. Have never used those, not even sure how, but will look at that.

Also, I find it helpful if the bit to be removed "sticks out". For example, to create a 1" deep hole stick in a cylindar 2" long so a inch sticks out and can be selected.

Yes, I also find BobCad a real pain. I'm a hobbyist and can't afford the support contract and it irks me that they will not provide even a modicom of help even if its a bug report. Trouble is I'm not sure other products are much better and I did get a really cheap deal...

Good luck.

Yes I have learned the stick out trick. started the whole drawing over again in frustration. I have it going in both 23 and 24 in hopes i might get lucky. now when I remove the pocket it leaves no bottom or sides, the part is hollow. I am going to start over again. I want to think this is all operator error but you have to wonder. I will get ahold of them this week.