588,075 active members*
4,919 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > How to I hold tool with 9/16 shank??

How to I hold tool with 9/16 shank??

I need to use a reamer with a 9/16 shank. I could put a 9/16 R8 collet in there but then I would loose the TTS quick change with the power draw bar. So, I'm scratching my head. Is there no TTS option?

You could hold it in a drill chuck. TTS part number 30149, for example.

Best to use a ER20 for reaming in my experience, however 9/16 is going to be hard to fit. I'd start with looking for a closer shank number to what's available first. Or you could try and squeeze it in a 1/2" collet, but not sure if that will fly or not. I'm sure now that this has been brought up, I'll soon need a quick fix too. I'm curious see how your results, keep us posted

Good luck

MariTool sells a 9/16 ER20 collet. This is an oversized special.

If you have a lathe, you might consider boring out a 1/2" TTS holder (or a TTS blank). Or you could turn down the shank of the reamer to fit your existing holders.

If you don't have a lathe, you could still bore out the holder using turning on the mill techniques: YouTube - Taig mill turning bushings

bob

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I ended up making a set screw holder from a TTS blank.

My first thought was to open up a 1/2" set screw holder but they are hardened and would not be drilled. So, I turned to a carbide boring tool which almost worked. The interruption in the cut due to the setscrew hole created problems for the boring operation so that was abandoned in favor of the the TTS blank approach.

I agree that an ER20 collet would be the best solution if I were willing to wait for it.

Is there a way to make a floating holder for that reamer? A reamer follows the initial hole. E.g. BROWN & SHARPE 711-67-120 FLOATING ADJUSTABLE REAMER on eBay! Also http://www.google.com/search?q=float...w=1156&bih=591

Don