587,832 active members*
3,569 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > 15' long 8' wide Ex-Boeing CNC *REBUILD*
Page 72 of 80 22627071727374
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 1585

Talking

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPNv76xpgPw"]YouTube - ‪Cnc Rebuild Video #82‬‏[/nomedia]

Now i need to order a collets and endmills so i can test cut some stuff.

Found out a 4'x8' sheet of HDPE .750" thick runs about $250 dollars.

For that reason i will not be starting with the big boy right away. I will buy smaller pieces and get a few solid hours of test cutting in with different materials. I believe its time to throw some chips finally.

We tracked the charge pump problem back to a chip. New board should arrive soon, and i can put that issue to rest.

Just a waiting game now. I will order up my collets and a few endmills!

Talking

Just ordered up:

TECHNIKS ER20 PRECISION COLLET 1/16" T.I.R. .0002"

TECHNIKS ER20 PRECISION COLLET 1/8" T.I.R. .0002"

TECHNIKS ER20 PRECISION COLLET 1/4" T.I.R. .0002"

TECHNIKS ER20 PRECISION COLLET 3/8" T.I.R. .0002"

TECHNIKS ER20 PRECISION COLLET 1/2" T.I.R. .0002"

I would like to start off cutting some type of machinable foam or wax, then plastics, then move onto wood, the metal.

In general for now should a 2 flute end mill accomplish all my needs to get generally acquainted with the machining process in softer materials. They are not cheap, but would like to get one that can handle a lot of materials just to get a feel for the machine.

I was searching enco and figured i would ask about a nice general endmill that should get me going. Thanks guys!

Chips are coming sooon!!

I dont know what rpm's you are running, but I run a 2 flute .375 bit in HDPE at around 75 ipm at 6000 rpm, if you are running at a much higher rpm I would probably go with an 0-flute, feed rate is important to remove heat with the chips, .25 d.o.c. btw, just remember that along with cutting certain plastics comes alot of static (the chips will cling to everything) but the cleanup is easy

Looking forward to seeing this thing come to life!!

JTCUSTOMS
    "It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
    Clive James

I have used the Micro100 Single Flute Carbide Routers before and they work well. This type of cutter will cover everything from plastic to aluminum. This is the part # for one of their 1/4" cutters #SFA-250-46. About $25 at Travers. They also make a left hand version (down cut). I think they are similar to the OSG router bits Ger likes.

Talking spindle modbus hookup.

Today im gonna tackle hooking up my spindle to the VFD. Just have to connect the wires to the VFD, and hopefully plug the serial to usb converter into PC and configure mach.

I've uploaded the Hitachi X200 brains that are suppose to control the VFD inside mach 3.

(found here: Hitachi X200)

Anyways, wish me luck and hopefully we will have a working spindle soon.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Unhappy

If anyone is good @ modbus or brains, feel free to throw out some suggestions here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...tml#post947200

Configured the X200 internally from section B3 in the manual (modbus).

Haven't got around to the brains part yet because i am getting no communication when i try and test the modbus in mach 3..

( Also more X200 information can be found at the link below)

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/ind...;topicseen#new

Bought a new converter. I guess the other "converter" i have been using isn't really a converter i've been told. It's an "emulator" which i cant get to work. So i have purchased the real deal so now it should be easy! Crossing fingers!

grainger number #3AEA2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0140.jpg  

Talking Hitachi x200 VFD with 2.2KW chinese spindle mach 3 modbus!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2_Hsx5nk6o"]YouTube - ‪Cnc Rebuild Video #83‬‏[/nomedia]

Finally got her working!!!!!

So I guess apart from completing all the schematics and documentation we can put this baby to bed.
    Congrats :cheers:
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    So I guess apart from completing all the schematics and documentation we can put this baby to bed.
    Congrats :cheers:
    Al.
    hahaha! Yes still have those to complete. My next machine, i will at least know the "correct" way to go about everything lol.

This baby isn't ready for bed just yet!

Still need to do:

Vacuum system
    Table top
    Z touch off tool
    (plug and play-swap breakout board for new one arturo is sending)

Probably a few other things, but ya i'm excited. Cruising up to the local tooling shop Monday and seeing what they have in stock in regards to end mills! Maybe we will see some Foam/HDPE chips fly!! haha

Now i just need to settle on a dang cam program.. Grrrrr. :tired: (solidcam, mastercam, cambam, etc)

A visit to the local tooling supplier was a success.

They did not have any "o-flute" cutters, and didn't carry Osrud.

They supply many of the factories in the area, and also supply many of the machine shops who work for Boeing.

New Series! | Helical Solutions

They said they offer many brands, but most of the large shops use "helical" brand endmills, made in the USA.

Prices: (all are 2 flute)
    1/16" $6.55
    1/8" $8.47
    1/4" $13.39
    3/8" $19.06
    1/2" $29.69

So far they have some of the lowest price around including online for the same specific model numbers of endmills, which is a huge plus, and they are really nice people.

I also asked about resharpening and they said they can do a 1/2" endmill for roughly $10 bucks, and the smaller ones for a lot less. (which could save me a lot of money).

They did suggest for my setup i use a Kool Mist system. They handed me a product manual and i see a few setups for under $150 dollars that would work just fine. If anyone has used one let me know. I told them my machine can't use flood cooling, and they swear by these misters so well see. Also the koolant seems to be "safe" and non fogging so might have to rig it up to my existing relay that mach controls to turn the coolant on and off.

Are the O-flutes my best bet? The 1/8" downcut super "O" onsrud endmill is roughly $30 dollars! roughly 4 times more expensive then a 2 flute.

"The polished flute allows for razor sharp cutting edge and easy chip evacuation. The tool is available in a down cut spiral for improved part holding. Plastic, wood, aluminum and solid surface HELIX A NGLE = 21°"

I don't mind spending good money if that is the correct way of going about it. (for my .063" sheet metal application).

Thanks everyone!!

Now i need to work on the vacuum system! Any ideas for dust shoes?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0314.jpg   IMAG0315.jpg   IMAG0324.jpg   IMAG0325.jpg  

Commercial Door Supplier

Large industrial doors use a broom sweep with a track. The broom or sweep lengths are up to 6" and come in hard or soft bristles. Many of the suppliers have cuts or short lengths that are very resonalbe in price.

Ark.

Thanks Ark! A friend off youtube sent me a link for exactly what you were describing.

Currently this operation is on hold for a couple weeks. The house, shed, fence, and inside needs paints.

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    A visit to the local tooling supplier was a success.

They did not have any "o-flute" cutters, and didn't carry Osrud.

They supply many of the factories in the area, and also supply many of the machine shops who work for Boeing.

New Series! | Helical Solutions

They said they offer many brands, but most of the large shops use "helical" brand endmills, made in the USA.

Prices: (all are 2 flute)
    1/16" $6.55
    1/8" $8.47
    1/4" $13.39
    3/8" $19.06
    1/2" $29.69

So far they have some of the lowest price around including online for the same specific model numbers of endmills, which is a huge plus, and they are really nice people.

I also asked about resharpening and they said they can do a 1/2" endmill for roughly $10 bucks, and the smaller ones for a lot less. (which could save me a lot of money).

They did suggest for my setup i use a Kool Mist system. They handed me a product manual and i see a few setups for under $150 dollars that would work just fine. If anyone has used one let me know. I told them my machine can't use flood cooling, and they swear by these misters so well see. Also the koolant seems to be "safe" and non fogging so might have to rig it up to my existing relay that mach controls to turn the coolant on and off.

Are the O-flutes my best bet? The 1/8" downcut super "O" onsrud endmill is roughly $30 dollars! roughly 4 times more expensive then a 2 flute.

"The polished flute allows for razor sharp cutting edge and easy chip evacuation. The tool is available in a down cut spiral for improved part holding. Plastic, wood, aluminum and solid surface HELIX A NGLE = 21°"

I don't mind spending good money if that is the correct way of going about it. (for my .063" sheet metal application).

Thanks everyone!!
    I get my 2 and 3 flute endmills from Kodiak Cutting Tools Kodiak Cutting Tools - Discount supplier of premium USA made cutting tools.. It does help that evevn with UPS regular it takes only 1 day for shipping.

I do use the Onsrud Super-O Flute bits a lot, and they work really well. I also have the kool-mist system but not intalled yet. I will say I think the up-cut works better if you can hold down your piece

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    I get my 2 and 3 flute endmills from Kodiak Cutting Tools Kodiak Cutting Tools - Discount supplier of premium USA made cutting tools.. It does help that evevn with UPS regular it takes only 1 day for shipping.

I do use the Onsrud Super-O Flute bits a lot, and they work really well. I also have the kool-mist system but not intalled yet. I will say I think the up-cut works better if you can hold down your piece
    Just purchased a Kool Mist kit (the 1 gallon unit off ebay new).

I will check out that website thank you very much!

Also grabbed some dust collector brush so i can make a dust collection setup.

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Just purchased a Kool Mist kit (the 1 gallon unit off ebay new).

I will check out that website thank you very much!

Also grabbed some dust collector brush so i can make a dust collection setup.

Kool mist came! Very cool. No clue where to mount it. Ill have to figure that out.

Mounting misting unit.

Best practice and procedures? Mounting the 1 gallon of coolant on my gantry is just adding weight. Is it ok if i mount it off my cnc machines base, then just extend the coolant lines through my cable carrier?

Also, Still stuck on how to mount the vacuum hose. . .

Good news is, i have a new job, which pays a lot of money. More money = more cnc toys/tooling

New firmware chip arrived from Arturo as well so i can finally get some quality videos of if running for once.

Another question on the dust collection-

I know the velocity of the suction drastically decreases as the hose distance is increased. I was planning on running the hose along the chain but that would require A LOT of hose.. Almost 30'. If i hung the hose above the machine i could probably get away with 14'. I think @ 30' my 6.5HP peak shop vac would not have enough power to pick up a chip! Is 14' of 2 1/2" flex hose to much for it?

HAPPY 4th EVERYONE!!!

Page 72 of 80 22627071727374