587,306 active members*
3,937 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > How to move an object up to the Z Zero Plane?

How to move an object up to the Z Zero Plane?

Is there a command or an easy way to move objects in one direction to a specific plane. I know you can move an object by numbers and coordinates if you have all the coordiantes, but I want to move a whole bunch of curves straight up in their original position but up to the Z Zero plane. Thanks.

Try either: ProjectToCPlane or SetPt. With SetPt, you can set a Z level other than 0, ProjectToCPlane just "flattens" everything on the CPlane. SetPt also allows you to set an X or Y as well. --ch

Setpt will move all the points to a plane.. Don't think that is what you are wanting though.... I can't think of a command that will do what you want. I usuaully use the "move" command.. and then hold the shift key .. that puts it in Ortho so it will only move in a straight direction.

Jeff T.

http://www.3dcarvestudio.com

Well the OP did talk about getting curves to the 0 level and both ProjectToCPlane and SetPt will do that for curves - as long as you want them flat on the plane.

If you want to move 3D stuff without flattening it you can try the set of Align commands, maybe that will do what you want. Otherwise, moving an object or a collection of objects so that the lower surface of the bounding box is at Z0 is a very easy thing to script with Rhinoscript. --ch

The easiest way that I have found to move objects up to the zero plane is to draw a point object, using an object snap, at the lowest point of a curve or entity. Use a different layer and different color. Use the "Analyze-point" command to see what the coordinates of that point are (write them down), and then window all the objects you intend to move and pick the point object as the point to move from, and input the same coords you wrote down, changing the Z coord to 0.

The best way I have found is in options under modelling aids enter the required distance in 'nudge key alone' press enter, then select the items you want to move, hold the ALT key down and press PgUp or PgDn to move up and down along the Z axis

Richie

Nudge command move object at fixed length - TS ask for move to Z zero plane. So
    1. turn on Osnap to desired element of object to be aligned to Z0 (point, end of line or edge etc.). Turn on Project
    2. At Top cplane create a point snapped to chosen element. Point will be created at Z0 position
    3. With Osnap-Point turned on run move command, as from choose element you need to align, as to choose point you created.
    If you want move to specific level, such Z5, use Nudge command for it after Z0 align.

I run into this sometimes while creating drawings to be plasma cut. I'll draw in the top view port, but sometimes end up with curves on different z locations.

My solution: If you have some curves on Z zero, but not all of them;

1. Turn on Onsnap and put a checkmark next to "End".

2. In TOP viewport, select curves to be moved to Z Zero.

3. Type "move" or select "move tool"

4. Type "v=y" (meaning, vertical equals yes).

5. In the TOP viewport, select an end point on one of the curves you want to move.

6. In the FRONT or RIGHT viewport, snap to any end point of any curve currently on Z zero plane.

It will pop right up there without changing X or Y position.

If you didn't have any curves on Z zero plan, you could draw one (any line would do) and snap to that.

This is an old thread...
    I'm always amazed to see what kind of hoops people figure out to jump through...

If curves are in different locations in Z and you want them all flat on the 0 plane in the Top viewport, then just select them all in that viewport and choose Transform>Project to CPlane and use the option delete=yes. The curves will all be on the 0 plane. It's as simple as that. There is also a toolbar button for that in the Transform tool palette (flyout from the Move button). --ch

Quote Originally Posted by chmillman View Post
    This is an old thread...
    I'm always amazed to see what kind of hoops people figure out to jump through...

If curves are in different locations in Z and you want them all flat on the 0 plane in the Top viewport, then just select them all in that viewport and choose Transform>Project to CPlane and use the option delete=yes. The curves will all be on the 0 plane. It's as simple as that. There is also a toolbar button for that in the Transform tool palette (flyout from the Move button). --ch
    Cool. That's much easier. Thank you.