587,997 active members*
1,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question regarding Burny 3

Hello,
    I'm new to this site and had a question about our Burny 3 control. We had a machine installed a while back and when it was done the person who helped train us on the machine said it was not capable of recieving custom drawn shapes from a source such as a computer. Although, i'm a bit skeptacle seeing as though there is a 25 pin port with only 7 pins wired to it. Telling me that someone had wired this com port up at one point in time. I guess before i get in too deep, my question is, is this machine capable of recieving files for shapes drawn up on a computer? Any other additional info would be greatly appreciated since i'm kind of self-teaching myself at this point.

Thanks,
    Keith

Burny ran an interface for CNC program format called ESSI.
    Most from the 2.5 up could read in through a RS232 port, do you have the manual?
    you can set the RS232 protocol etc through the parameters.
    This link may shed some light.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_pl...ce_needed.html
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Burny 3

Keith,

The Burny 3 had a floppy drive that can take standard word address programs. That was the primary way of handling the programming. You can make your program(s) on your computer, put them on a floppy, and take it our to your Burny. You will be limited to 1.44 meg, but that is a fairly large program.

Also, I remember that Burny had a serial port option that was mounted on the back of the box. Thus it was possible to connect to your remote computer via serial line and download data that way. We did a few installations using the serial communications. My Burny 5 manual mentions a Burny MO-4034 Modem Kit which is an option for the Burny 5. I think it was also available for the Burny 3.

It would be of GREAT help to have the original Burny 3 manual! Do you have it or can you get it? Where are you located?

Am I correct that there are now available on the market, options that can use a thumb drive (USB) and convert it to serial?

Regards,
    Jack C.

thanks for the replies. looks like i still have a bit of reading to do before i can begin to get out of the woods on this one. At this point i realy am unsure of where to start. There is no floppy drive on the machine other than the big ugly one that contains the 50 basic shapes. Jack, I do have the Burny 3 manual. I am located near Boston, Ma.

B3

Keith,

You are right - - -it has been a long time since I worked on a Burny 3!!! HOWEVER, I noted a company called Valley Cutting Systems, a CA company, that has Basic Omniport Adapter which will accept a thumb drive (USB) or another memory device, and it is made for the Burny 3/5 line. I called 559-684-1229, left a message for cost & information but no return call Friday.

I like the idea of not having to run a serial line out to a cutting machine.

Regards,
    Jack C.

Thanks again. I think im going to give a temporary serial connection a whirl, using a usb to 9-pin adapter. I think i have the parameters figured out (2135) although im not 100% on the baud rate (D4 being 5 = 2400) Im still a little unsure of the wiring also. I'm going to use the wiring shown for "XON/XOFF Software Protocol" using a 9 pin D-sub at the computer. If you notice anything strange please tip me off. Also, I was wondering if you could suggest any g-code programing and file transfering software/freeware.

You also mentione the manual being of "great help". Just wondering if that was for my reference or if you were interested in a copy? If you'd like i can scan it in for you. I would just have to send it in many seperate files due to possible size.