587,760 active members*
2,685 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Is there a bug/workaround knowledge base for BobCAD V24?
Page 1 of 3 123

Is there a bug/workaround knowledge base for BobCAD V24?

I normally expect that bugs and workarounds are listed somewhere on the software supplier's knowledge base. I cannot find one on BobCAD's website.

This means that many users that are experiencing the same problem may ask the same question on this forum or submit the problem to BobCAD, when they could have found the answer in the knowledge base.

Perhaps CNCZone could create a sub forum under BobCAD for each version of the software (or just one combined sub forum?) where users could post what they believe are bugs, why they think they are bugs, and what are the workarounds they have found?

Then forum users could look at that particular sub forum and save a possible repeat question? Also BobCAD Inc could monitor that bug forum to identify possible bugs, and confirm them as known bugs? Also update or confirm the workarounds?

Other forum users could also test and confirm the bug/workaround

Just a thought CNCZone Admin.

I'm not the Zone admin, but you could try these:

BobCAD-CAM SUPPORT TICKET SYSTEM

BobCAD-CAM SUPPORT TICKET SYSTEM - Knowledge Base

Jump all over these with the bugs and workarounds!

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    I'm not the Zone admin, but you could try these:

BobCAD-CAM SUPPORT TICKET SYSTEM

BobCAD-CAM SUPPORT TICKET SYSTEM - Knowledge Base

Jump all over these with the bugs and workarounds!
    Hi Burrman!

I have looked alll over those sites and they are not being used as I suggest.

You can raise a ticket (if you have support, which I do), look at other tickets and track your ticket. None of the FAQs cover bugs or workarounds.

Not having them easily accessible creates work for users and also for BobCAD IMHO.

I am looking for somewhere to look for known problems, also would be nice to have a comprehensive list, so I can be aware of them, even though I have not used that capability.

I think those are posted answers to what was determined were "questions being asked"... You can certainly submit anything you think is a bug there...

Known issues are listed on the updates site where you download the latest update... These would be called release notes.

"Comprehensive list of bugs and workarounds???"

I dont have one of those and dont know where you may find one...

If you have a comprehensive list of bugs and workarounds maybe you can submit it to them for inclusion in the next release notes!

I think those are posted answers to what was determined were "questions being asked"... You can certainly submit anything you think is a bug there...

Known issues are listed on the updates site where you download the latest update... These would be called release notes.

"Comprehensive list of bugs and workarounds???"

I dont have one of those and dont know where you may find one...

If you have a comprehensive list of bugs and workarounds maybe you can submit it to them for inclusion in the next release notes!
    I am suggesting that we build up a list on this forum.

Release notes normally say what enhancements have been added to the version, as well as what bugs have been fixed. The BobCAD V24 release notes say, at a very high level, what has been added to V23 to make V24.

The V24 release notes also say:

• Corrected the software freezing with a white screen during startup on some systems.
    • General fixes to the SolidWorks file reader to correct reported software crashes.

Not very helpful as to known problems with the software.

Anyway, I am suggesting that forum users can build up a list of bugs and workarounds.

This will help users WITH and WITHOUT support from BobCAD.

Welcome dellcouponcodes.. The pine valley life is wonderful!!! Coupons are great for my cart I push around. I have a little spot in the upper left corner to keep them in.... :tired:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coupons.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	138624

BobCAD has absolutely no bugs, and there are zero needs for any workarounds for anything. If you have any doubt about that, ask BurrMan.

I would agree with the proposal you have, and think it could be very useful. Even if tickets are answered by teaching a user how to use a function, actually publishing how the question was answered would be VERY valuable for other members to have access to. It would even reduce the need for users to issue tickets when they have problems if the tickets were published and made searchable.

The current "Search" function on the site won't take three letter entries (like STL)... Why not apply Google Search on the site?

I continue to believe that for the price of what you can get BobCAD for (with negotiation, not the list price they publish!!!) it is a very powerful piece of software. I also believe it has some deficiencies, and is quirky. I am very glad I got V23, and have used it to do a lot of work. I also think it will be soon time for me to "move on" for some of my work (already using DeskProto for 4th axis, will likely go to SprutCAM when I get a 5th-axis installed. I may or may not continue to use BobCAD after that, it depends on how user friendly I find SprutCAM to be for "quick" 3-axis jobs...
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

BobCAD-CAM Support Forum

Over the years I have seen a lot of users up here help others that had questions. While I do see this continuing, we really don't see CNC Zone as our Support Forum. This is why we have one located at BobCAD-CAM Support Forum

We also have a form directly on our website where you can report issues and submit feature requests at BobCAD-CAM | CAD-CAM Software for CNC Machines including: Mill, Lathe, Wire EDM, Laser, Plasma, Waterjet, Routers and much more.

Our support technicians look after these every day and would be happy to assist you. A common thing that we do run into is that an issue has been fixed but the user never updated their software. In any case, please feel free to use these resources for assistance.

Thank you.
    CNC Dude

CNCdude,

I have posted problems in your forum and never gotten a reply. I am a hobby user and cannot afford paid support. I have v23 and v24 and both are almost useless because of "bugs". It might be a case of the nut between the chair and the keyboard but i still need help and it has not been forthcoming.

ErnieD

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    The current "Search" function on the site won't take three letter entries (like STL)... Why not apply Google Search on the site?
    stl site:cnczone.com

Punch that into the Google search box

EDIT: Also works for any site Google indexes unless the site specifically blocks it.

BobCAD has absolutely no bugs, and there are zero needs for any workarounds for anything. If you have any doubt about that, ask BurrMan.
    And here he goes again... Comes in with his snide, rude and condescending attitude. Sureley after I respond, 5 posts down he will be statting how I abuse people in the forum... After it becomes clear that he has nothing really clear to say, or ANY bugs to show, he will be asking "Cant we all just get along?? This isnt going how I wanted it to...."""

Just a jerk sitting on the side looking for anyone who is disgruntled with BobCad, then jumping in and yelling, "Yeah, me too!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieD View Post
    CNCdude,

I have posted problems in your forum and never gotten a reply. I am a hobby user and cannot afford paid support. I have v23 and v24 and both are almost useless because of "bugs". It might be a case of the nut between the chair and the keyboard but i still need help and it has not been forthcoming.

ErnieD
    I just did a quick search in the BobCad forum and in the last 6 years, there is approx 3-4 unanswered posts in the forum... Most recently where you started a question, had about 6 responses from a couple different people, with no response from you, then immediatly made another post stating that there is no response to your questions and being frustrated????

I guess.

Oh, and the nut between the chair and keyboard is not a "Bug", but a normal user.

Yeah, me too!!!!
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Most recently where you started a question, had about 6 responses from a couple different people, with no response from you...
    If you could actually link to that post, it would be great. I thought it was this one:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bobcad....html#poststop

but I see this issue as being discussed, confirmed to not work (I don't consider it a bug, by the way, but the lack of a "feature" that seems like it should work), and I thanked users for the response and moved on... IMO, this was a civil post/discussion/resolution, and is how these things "should" work out... I guess since you confirmed it didn't work for you either that that makes it an "OK" and not worthy of further argument?

If it was a different post, please let me know where to find it. I'm not going to spend a bunch of time looking for a post you claim to have found but could not bother linking to...

If you could actually link to that post, it would be great. I thought it was this one:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bobcad....html#poststop

If it was a different post, please let me know where to find it. I'm not going to spend a bunch of time looking for a post you claim to have found but could not bother linking to...
    I think you are confused.. I quoted and responded to Ernie D's post that he doesnt get help and support in the BobCad User forum (This is not the cnczone forum).

Somehow this has something to do with you??

If you really want to see it, just go to the BobCad user forum (Though I personally would rather you dont) and do a search by username "ErnieD" and then note the "most recent posts" as I had stated, and you will find the 2 posts, with the second one having no response, naturally.

but I see this issue as being discussed, confirmed to not work (I don't consider it a bug, by the way, but the lack of a "feature" that seems like it should work), and I thanked users for the response and moved on... IMO, this was a civil post/discussion/resolution, and is how these things "should" work out... I guess since you confirmed it didn't work for you either that that makes it an "OK" and not worthy of further argument?
    You are really a piece of work... I guess you can "Argue" all you want about the way you think something should work... Your discovery in that post you linked to was nothing more than that.. You discovering how the software works...

But, if you then speak ill of people you dont even know while reading off your resume, because of your personal belief on the matter, Then I suppose I'll mention how you should just shut up. At this point I am picturing you as the guy that "Yells at the Walmart Clerk" because you are holier than thou???

Keep it up, "Winner!"

You are right, my bad. I saw I started that "spur" of the thread and assumed your response was to me.

You are right, my bad. I saw I started that "spur" of the thread and assumed your response was to me.
    Lets just be clear.

I believe the software works and have seen little/few "Bugs" in it.

The last big rag thread, regarding a "Lathe bug", I was contacted by private message by a "BobCad Employee" telling me about the "existence of the bug" and that my pursuing the issue was futile. He listed a criteria to setup the lathe and produce code to "view the bug". I setup the file and produced the bad code he mentioned. Then I responded back to him in "Private Message" with "CORRECT CODE OUTPUT FROM BOBCAD" and the setup of the file.

Imagine that!

You believe the software is riddled with "Bugs", "Just like all software"...

I have asked for a bug, yet you produce none. If it is SO BAD, it really shouldnt be that hard, should it??? (At this point, I have no interest in seeing any file or problem you have... You can just live in your world of bugs and workarounds)

I Continue to prove the software works for others. Yet for some reason, you continue to berate me for believing/showing/proving the software works?

I seem to remember you suggesting you could be "Civil" and continue in the forum....

How about you think about that for a bit.

Unhappy family feud

I ve build my own cnc router and consider myself pretty much a permanent student .Thats why I used to enjoyed these forums...but lately there is so much bickering on the posts its not fun anymore.
    How about you guys spend more time working with each other to solve real cnc problems. You guys are so bright it's a shame to waste your time like this.
    And I dont want to know who started it!

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Boudreau View Post
    I ve build my own cnc router and consider myself pretty much a permanent student .Thats why I used to enjoyed these forums...but lately there is so much bickering on the posts its not fun anymore.
    How about you guys spend more time working with each other to solve real cnc problems. You guys are so bright it's a shame to waste your time like this.
    And I dont want to know who started it!
    It really makes for a crappy read Claude...

I'm sorry.

I would like to "bury the hatchet" as well, I agree this bickering should stop, and I will try to stop all personal comments directed to you as of now. If I "slip", I would welcome a reminder/link to this thread.

That does not mean I agree with you, but it doesn't need to be personal. I DO believe there are bugs in BobCAD, and I DO believe that the "Bottom of Job" issues is one. I don't think the software is riddled with bugs and don't think I ever stated that it was. I can successfully use it 99+% of the time, and I often post to that effect, and help others to learn how to use the software when they have issues. I don't recall that I have not been unsuccessful in eventually creating any final outcome that I have tried to get, except for using 3D toolpaths with a UCS, which is an unsupported command (as you pointed out when I asked about it). I do often have to take 2-3 tries to get some output tasks to work, sometimes due to me using the wrong command or using the command wrong. Sometimes I have to edit the model in SolidWorks or MeshLab to get BobCAD to make the output I want. I have NO issue stating that I make mistakes - I screw up all the time - I am human! I DO believe there are some issues in the BobCAD software with some commands (and yes, I think ALL software has bugs, it is just a matter of how serious they are as to whether it matters, or if it even gets noticed). I can't post the files I had issues with, first because they were months ago before I started using the workaround that works every time - so I don't even know which ones they were any more, second because they are under NDA, and third because I did the workaround so the issue isn't even in the file(s) any more (I don't use Bottom of Job any more because it does not work, and it is not predictable).

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, and as stated I will strive to keep my discussions purely on topic from now on. It is tough when I perceive that I am personally attacked to keep my temper and responses in check, but I will try my best.

Page 1 of 3 123