588,219 active members*
4,006 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Epoxy Granite > Epoxy-Granite machine bases (was Polymer concrete frame?)
Page 225 of 253 125175215223224225226227235
Results 4,481 to 4,500 of 5053
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Kevin, I don't want to appear rude, but I have no idea what my quotation you have used above has to do with your erudite comment below.
    Could you please explain how my original comment, to be taken exactly as I made it, i.e. what does it matter if you change the name of the topic, the data being discussed hasn't changed, relates to your present thoughts.
    I was only suggesting that you need to be aware of alternative names.

Regards

John
    Your suggestion to be aware of different names is a good one but the student needs to have more than a casual exposure to the field lest errors be made.

Briefly, your comment was made in response to John McNamara's collection of search terms.

If you review the Studer patent you will find that titular and heading reference is made to "polymer concrete" whilst in the text "concrete polymer" is used. So, already there are difficulties given that not all users and potential users are intimately familiar with the text of the patent or would understand that this might be an artifact of the German and English languages in collision or a patent examiner anticipating future problems of nouns versus adjectives.

Moreover, the term "concrete" commonly has the meaning of water based "cement" being used as a binder. "Cement" has alternative meanings as it must for "polymer concrete" or "concrete polymer" to make sense at all. Or is one to just "know" that cement is excluded by the substitution of another binder?

And so on ...

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin, thank you for your additional examples.
    It was your previous ones that threw me off course.

Regards
    John
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.

Whats in a name?

Hi All

As I see it nomenclature is all we are talking here. We all have a fair idea of what the process is. Arguing about the semantics is counterproductive.

The reasons I posted the observation that a certain group had renamed polymer concrete to mineral casting were twofold.

1. To propose that I was in agreement. It removes the association with water based Portland and other cements.

2. Raise awareness within this group that other search terms will yield more search results. Results that are not found by say “Polymer concrete”.

The second point being by far the most important, in the web centric world we now live in, when researching we must cast as wide a net as possible. Come to think of it, the same applies at a public library. Thankfully the net makes the results a few keystrokes away.

Cheers

John McNamara

It's counterproductive until an expensive mistake is made by someone attempting to impose or expect rigor on/from a natural language. One can hope that only materials rather than lives are in peril.

In spacecraft design both can be.

Given that formal languages must deal with the foundational ambiguity of negation which is prime, it appears that this general concern will remain with us for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcNamara View Post
    Hi All

As I see it nomenclature is all we are talking here. We all have a fair idea of what the process is. Arguing about the semantics is counterproductive.

The reasons I posted the observation that a certain group had renamed polymer concrete to mineral casting were twofold.

1. To propose that I was in agreement. It removes the association with water based Portland and other cements.

2. Raise awareness within this group that other search terms will yield more search results. Results that are not found by say “Polymer concrete”.

The second point being by far the most important, in the web centric world we now live in, when researching we must cast as wide a net as possible. Come to think of it, the same applies at a public library. Thankfully the net makes the results a few keystrokes away.

Cheers

John McNamara

What is the chance to hit the proportions of patented polymer concrete?In patent describes exactly the contents and proportions of all fractions.

Work boldly with polymer

Quote Originally Posted by yancho View Post
    What is the chance to hit the proportions of patented polymer concrete?In patent describes exactly the contents and proportions of all fractions.
    I'm curious about that too. I thought a patent only covers a mechanism or a procedure, not a recipe of ingredients? Which explains why you won't find the Coca Cola recipe patented, they keep it locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLini View Post
    I'm curious about that too. I thought a patent only covers a mechanism or a procedure, not a recipe of ingredients? Which explains why you won't find the Coca Cola recipe patented, they keep it locked up.
    The original Moglice formula was patented and the recipe details are included.

Interesting! Well I'm probably wrong then!

I just had a memory that a "recipe" ie; amounts of ingredients couldn't be patented I thought it needed to also include some proprietary process or something more than just the recipe amounts.

I just checked "IP law for all";
    IP Law For All: Recipes Can be Patented If ...
    There are requirements for being "new" and "nonobvious", so it would have to be a recipe of things never mixed together before (new) and things that would not be obviously normally mixed together "nonobvious".

I really don't know either way but still I think you would have a hard time trying to patent a mix of epoxy and any "obvious" aggregate ingredients. Given a patent's need to be non-disclosed publically that probably means you could not patent any mix using aggregates that had been used before as they are publicly known as aggregates which are used.

Therefore, all silent and not say.Then come the lawyers and one ground only give money.Loopholes, patents and so on.Work brave, good luck to all.

i keep loosing track of this thread, eep.

anyhow, i found this on ebay today. its a "new" bare bones chines mill of some sort. but it seems to have an EG base, and a rather nicely designed one at that. has the DIY side of things gotton to the point where someone could make something like this? maybe a little smaller, or even bigger?

CNC MILL | eBay

This is just a guess as I know nothing about that machine, but the large hollow box section in the middle and the 90' thing in the upper right seem to imply a welded steel plate or tube construction.

Maybe the whole thing is welded steel, fab shop style where they CNC laser cut steel plate into shapes then weld it together?

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLini View Post
    This is just a guess as I know nothing about that machine, but the large hollow box section in the middle and the 90' thing in the upper right seem to imply a welded steel plate or tube construction.

Maybe the whole thing is welded steel, fab shop style where they CNC laser cut steel plate into shapes then weld it together?
    hmmm, you could be right about that actually.
    in any case, im poking at this minearal casting idea, wondering just how much one could do in a small shop with it.

I think housing is made ​​of cast iron or E/G.A plate is made of ATC.I could be wrong, but I have met photo

My Product for Engraving machine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mineral casting 1.JPG 
Views:	379 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	140300

Name:	mineral casting 2.JPG 
Views:	302 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	140301

Name:	mineral casting 3.JPG 
Views:	325 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	140302

My Product for Engraving machine

Name:	mineral casting 1.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	140303

Name:	mineral casting 2.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	140304

Name:	mineral casting 3.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	140305

It looks good Steven. Are those big channels on the front of the machine connected to the troughs on the top? if so, I would suggest running them left to right rather than front to rear. As they are, they would dump chips on the operator's feet...

bob

It looks good Steven. Can you write more information about the machine-weight,size.
    Thanks ! Yancho.

Is that full epoxy granite Steven..?
    Is that a machine for yourself as hobby or do you have a company that sells them.?

Nice work! Looks like you copied the gantry design from that nice German (Dutch?) machine we talked about earlier.

Page 225 of 253 125175215223224225226227235