587,913 active members*
3,765 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Open Source CNC Machine Designs > Coming Soon -- CNC Router Parts 4x4 and 4x8 kits and plans
Page 5 of 16 3456715
    Standard question that most everybody asks so i will as well (LOL) ..

What kind of Feedrate were you running that at and what Depth of cut?
    What is the maximum reliable feedrate you have run it at?

That is an AWESOME looking machine.. its killing me i cant afford to build one of them, but someday.. somehow.. *sigh*

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schuldt View Post
    We spent some time this weekend helping a local park cut out bird house pieces. Here is a video.
    ‪CRP4848 Cuts Bird Houses‬‏ - YouTube

We use a 1.5Kw spindle mounted using our 80mm spindle mount CNCRouterParts
    The plywood in the video is held down with wood screws. I programmed a tool path to put holes in between the nested parts, and after running that paused the machine to put the screws in. 6 screws held everything just fine.
    Looks like a really solid connection for an 80mm spindle. It also looks like there are two sets of mounting holes on the website. What are the hole spacings? One would obviously be 1.5" wide on-center, but what about height, and HxW for the second set?

Thanks!

The second set of mounting holes on the spindle mount is the K2CNC standard mounting pattern, which is 10-32 screws on a 2.5" horizontal x 1.0" vertical pattern.

For the birdhouses, I think we were running at 200 IPM. I'm pretty sure we were only running 1/8" DOC, which was pretty wimpy -- Peter was concerned about breaking our bit. I called him a big baby for it, but we were doing it over the weekend and didn't want to make a run to the store.

I ran a test with a 0.25" DOC at 400 IPM just cutting a piece of plywood in half. I think it can do more, we just haven't pushed it yet.

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

Your Spindle

We use a 1.5Kw spindle mounted using our 80mm spindle mount CNCRouterParts
    The plywood in the video is held down with wood screws. I programmed a tool path to put holes in between the nested parts, and after running that paused the machine to put the screws in. 6 screws held everything just fine.
    What did you use for a VFD? The spindles sure are interesting. I have followed some of the threads here on the ZONE and wonder if the Chinese VFD is the weak link and one should throw a dart at one of the eBay spindles and pair it up with a Hitachi VFD? Thanks for any input.

Nice machine.

JD

Hi Ahren Peter,

Great looking machine!

I noticed here and on another build log using 2- 2 1/2 CRS on the 3060 gantry instead of a 7" piece. Is there any other benefits to this other than easier shipping? Possibly makes easier alignment?

I'm about to purchase my CRS locally, what would be the advantage/ disadvantage of the 2 and what would you suggest.

Thanks,
    Dan

Dan,

Sorry to take a bit getting back to you. We ended up going with 2 3" pieces of steel instead of the 7". Cost was the primary consideration, both for fabrication and shipping -- 7" steel isn't carried everywhere, and we were able to get a substantially better deal on 3" steel. We went with 3" so that we could get two rows of bolts in it for stiffness.

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

Cool

OK Ahren,

It is now August and we're all waiting to see the prices and availability of the new gantry risers. You guys have already put a suggested price on the complete kits, but I need the ganty's to continue on with my design and build.

BTW the pictures and the video of the R & D machine where great.:cheers:

Good timing CNCRR. We just got the risers back from powder coat, so they are now available for sale on our site, in both a 3030 version and a 3060 version for different gantry extrusion:

CNCRouterParts

A picture below of the first production run of these. Note that the design has changed very slightly from the original -- instead of tube, these are now a bent piece of steel (same 3/16" thickness) to keep the cost more reasonable (I'm pretty sure folks would not have been happy with the prices we'd have to charge for the tube version). A side benefit of going to this technique is that we were able to make the riser a smidge narrower to allow better access to the fasteners going into the carriages, and also added welding alignment tabs to the base, which make these pretty darn accurate for a weldment.

Apologies to everyone that the kits are taking so long to launch. We really are getting close, but there's a ton of logistics and inventory work we've been doing in addition to getting the parts in house -- below is a snapshot of our fastener bagging area. There are a ton of nuts and bolts in these machines, something I didn't fully appreciate until we finished building the BOM for these. I'll keep you all posted as the subsystems and finally the full kits become available.

Best regards,

Ahren
    www.cncrouterparts.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0044.JPG   IMG_0045.JPG   IMG_0046.JPG   IMG_0039.JPG  

Awesome, ordered, thank you!

Too bad I have 3030 and a 4 inch rail on my machine.

Sean
    www.FreeCNCPlans.com

What do these kits cost?

Quote Originally Posted by ahren View Post
    Good timing CNCRR. We just got the risers back from powder coat, so they are now available for sale on our site, in both a 3030 version and a 3060 version for different gantry extrusion:

CNCRouterParts

A picture below of the first production run of these. Note that the design has changed very slightly from the original -- instead of tube, these are now a bent piece of steel (same 3/16" thickness) to keep the cost more reasonable (I'm pretty sure folks would not have been happy with the prices we'd have to charge for the tube version). A side benefit of going to this technique is that we were able to make the riser a smidge narrower to allow better access to the fasteners going into the carriages, and also added welding alignment tabs to the base, which make these pretty darn accurate for a weldment.

Apologies to everyone that the kits are taking so long to launch. We really are getting close, but there's a ton of logistics and inventory work we've been doing in addition to getting the parts in house -- below is a snapshot of our fastener bagging area. There are a ton of nuts and bolts in these machines, something I didn't fully appreciate until we finished building the BOM for these. I'll keep you all posted as the subsystems and finally the full kits become available.

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

Perfect timing! I'm just finishing up putting the x-axis steel rails in place on my 4x8 build which uses the cncrouterparts design (and many of their parts). I just ordered a set of the 3060 risers. Have been very impressed with cncrouterparts.... good quality product and fast shipping.

Ahren, are the carriages tapped to accept the bolts that attach the risers? If not, what size bolt is specified?

Bob,

Good question. Our carriages normally come with a clearance hole for a 5/16-18 bolt, but this just so happens to also be the starter hole for a tapped 3/8-16, which is what the risers are designed to use to connect to the carriages. We recommend 3/4" long bolts, as these provide plenty of strength and avoid interfering with R&P hardware going into the sides of the carriages.

For the kits, we'll be supplying the carriages pre-tapped to 3/8-16. If you already have carriages, it's a pretty easy mod to get them ready for the risers. No extra drilling, just some quality time with a 3/8-16 tap and a tap handle.

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

hi,
    what i can not understand clearly when you are talking about 3060 extrusion, can that be Bosch Rexroth metrical, and in general is thgis thought also for the people here in Europe?
    and what about the rails, why not everything metric, at the end this is the international standard, at least the elements shoulod be thought so that can fit nearest metric popular measures.

silyavski,

It's a good question. Unfortunately, "the international standard" still hasn't really taken hold in hardware stores and other sales outlets in the US. Cold rolled steel is typically only available in imperial dimensions as well here. When metric is available, it typically costs much more, in some cases 2-3x for parts providing the same function. Given that the majority of our customers are DIYers, we try to find clever ways to make use of commodity products to keep costs low, and in the US, this often means imperial.

About 80% of our business is from the US, 10% from Canada, 5% from Australia, and 5% Europe/other. Whenever possible, we do try to make our parts metric friendly -- this is why we offer the module 1.5 gears with our R&P units as an option, and why our carriages have enough adjustment to work on 6mm steel instead of 1/4". However, we don't have the volume (yet) to support a whole different series of extrusion. Hopefully early next year we'll be able to offer a design that works with metric extrusion, but there's a lot of stuff in R&D that needs to happen first.

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

Thanks for the info on the CRS, I decided to with the 7" since I was able to pick it up locally.

BTW, when will your sweeps and stops become available on your site?

Thanks,
    Dan

I was just thinking the exact msame thing. I'm pretty sure Ahren mentioned a rail cleaning system in the works.

Hey folks,

I'm a bit new to this forum, but I love what I see. This is some pretty impressive work here.

A couple of questions:

Are these designs available in a more accessible format than .easm? It's a nice free viewer but I'd like to make design modifications, which doesn't look possible without native files. If there's a way to go from .easm to .asm that would be great.

Looks like most of the unusual parts are readily available - just wondering about pre-drilled rails. Are they for sale? I didn't see them - I was hoping to not have to do all that by hand.

Finally, are there viable options for using "quieter" motion components? For example, the use of delrin or nylon gears, bearings, and/or rails to reduce motion noise. (My application isn't for a noisy router, so a quiet machine is desirable!)

Thanks!

Hey all,

Our order of sweeps should be in this week, and will go up on the site as soon as they are in our hot little hands. I was hoping to have updated easm's of the 4' x 4' as well as a 4' x 8' up this weekend, but alas the wife was out of town, the 2 year old had other plans, and Peter is training with the national guard. Just need half a day to focus on plans amongst everything else going on -- even without them , there's still plenty of people buying parts

As to the steel rails, we have some in stock that will come pre-drilled as part of the kit. There will be a small departure from what's in the current 4' x 4' plans, in that we're harmonizing on 2.5" steel rails for both the gantry and the X. I know this sounds like I'm going back on myself from a previous post (I pretty much am), but hear me out. Rather than adding another row of holes to the edge of the rail, we'll be providing a set of machined pieces that do the following:

1) space the two gantry rails apart by 2"
    2) index off of the two middle t-slots in a piece of 3060
    3) clamp the in-board edges to provide increased rigidity

This will allow us to maintain less inventory, and should make setup much easier for end users. It also brings up another possibility, since our whole system will now work with either 2.5" or 4" steel. We have designed (and prototyped/tested) a jig with 2 drill bushings -- it's almost silly how easy it is to use with a 3/8" split point bit and a decent hand drill. You orient it one way to drill holes in the center of 2.5" steel, or rotate it 90 degrees to drill two holes 1.5" apart centered on 4" steel. We haven't made any of these in quantity yet, but I'd be interested to know -- are people here more interested in getting pre-drilled rails as part of a kit, or would you rather save $100+ by buying your steel locally (or even getting blank steel shipped from us with the extrusion)? We'd supply a jig and a decent drill bit for the task. Just curious what you guys think of this idea.

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

Page 5 of 16 3456715