587,787 active members*
2,936 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Seattle/Eastside

I am looking for a mentor in the Seattle area. I am in Redmond, preparing to purchase my equipment. Anyone around here?
    As entertaining as I would like this to be, I am at a loss for something clever to say...
    www.Offroad-RC.com

Hello Redmond

Hi Blue,

I'm no expert by any means, but am working my way through the process of building up my metal shop, and will be converting a square column Industrial Hobbies mill over the next months. I would be happy to talk to see if we have a sympatico. I'm located just up the road in Sammamish.

It is quite probable that you know more than I about many areas of metal working--most of my work has been in wood. I spent many summers and early adulthood working around mills, lathes, jig bores and such. But up until about 18 months ago, I had done little metal work and no metal working tools when I bought a Grizzly 9x19 lathe. I found I remembered much of what had gone dormant many years ago, and really enjoyed it. So, I'm moving forward with building out the metal shop.

In fact, I am working on making a decision about a metal-cutting bandsaw (I have a good Laguna 16" I use for wood and non-ferrous metals). I have nearly decided on a Grizzly G4030. However, I am wondering if I should simply buy a 14" abrasive cut-off saw until I have a more demanding need. Right now, I'll be cutting some 4" square steel tubing, angle iron, etc. My concern is that such a saw will not handle solid chunks of steel, and I'll still need to buy the bandsaw. What do you think?

I'm also going to acquire a Mig welder. I've decided on a Lincoln SP-175 Plus... I think...

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Anyway, I look forward to hearing from you.

You are waaay ahead of me in the experience department. I have a $100 Ryobi bandsaw with an aluminum blade, but it is not heavy duty by anymeans. I use it to cut sheet aluminum for my RC stuff.

I am getting a mill in the next week or two, at least ordering it. It's coming from Harbor Freight. It's not the best, but it will do the trick.

My shop currently consists of my bandsaw, a drill press, a vice and my Dremel! It's actually amazing what I can come up with on only those machines. The mill and lath will be a very nice addition.

When I get them in, I'll see if you can come over for a lesson? I have never used either of these machines, unless you coount a rotor/drum automotive brake lathe.
    As entertaining as I would like this to be, I am at a loss for something clever to say...
    www.Offroad-RC.com

Hi Blue,

Cool that your getting a HF mill. What model did you order and when do you expect it to arrive?

I'm up for traveling to your place when you get your mill settled. Just let me know, and we'll schedule something.

Best regards,

David

Sounds good!

I got this one, it was in stock so I picked it up in person, it was also $50 off!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44991

I like it fine, but I have no way to clamp anything down, nor do I have any material to cut! Do you have any idea where I can find material?

I plan to order this step block set.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5952

Talk to you...
    www.Offroad-RC.com

Clamp set

Hi Blue,

I think the clamp block set will be fine given that HF has labeled everything correctly (i.e., 1/2" slot width). This set is certainly a better value than the one they linked on the mill page. The clamp set will work for a lot of work, but you're going to want a milling vice as well. A lot of parts are simply too small to clamp and get a cutter in there too.

I did a search on the HF site and found this one:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90360
    I am NOT recommending this one, only using it as an example of what you'll want. Here's another on Grizzly:
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G5972
    I would think that a 4" vise is about the biggest you'll want to put on this mill. The swivel feature is a nice feature if you need to cut on a bias of a small piece.

Material is fairly easy to find, though I nearly always need to go to Seattle for it. You'll probably want to start out with aluminum. Blocks and rounds of aluminum, brass and stainless steel can be found in the cut-off bin at Alaskan Copper at 3223 6th Ave South in Seattle. Aluminum is $2.00/lb. I've bought a lot of brass there too, but I don't recall the price. There is also a salvage yard, Pacific Industrial at 2960 4th Ave South. They have a lot of steel in all forms, as well as other salvaged stuff.

Here's a link to other Seattle-area resources: http://www.dogpatch.com/bobp/bobfaq.htm#seattle

I think your mill will serve you well. I am particularly impressed that this little mill has an R-8 spindle. That makes it simple to find tooling.

I'm headed out of town for two weeks beginning the 14th (going to the CNC Workshop in Galesburg, IL and making a few other stops as well). It may be difficult to get together before I leave, but we can try to schedule if you want.

David

We can definitely wait until after you get back, it'll take me a few weeks to collect all the extra tooling I need! Thanks for the hook-up on the aluminum, that is just what I am looking for.

Besides, it'll be cool to see what you bring back from the CNC Workshop!

Thanks again, I didn't even think about a vice yet! I gues everyone was right when they told me I'd spend as much on tooling as I did on the mill itself.

Jeremy
    www.Offroad-RC.com

Seattle/Eastside

Here is my first post in the Zone. Noticed some local posts near home. I live further South of you both. Maple Valley, but work in Seattle.

I will be hanging out on this site along with others forums herein that capture my interest and chime in where my experience might be of benefit. I would imagine most questions/discussions will get a far better response in the general section rather than here.

Drop me a message where you post something specific I can offer assistance on. I have yet to learn to navigate this sites full features.

DC

Welcome

Hello DC

Glad you can join us. All experience welcome!!

I roam quite a lot, though I often read Industrial Hobbies, Mach Software, general machining and welding.

Later...

Well...This is my first post here. I live in Bremerton and have about 35 years experience as a journey level machinist. I have an older Turret mill and a 12x36 lathe as well as a couple of drill presses and a small lathe. Also have a couple of bandsaws and a table saw for plate aluminium. I just bought a Haas Mini Mill, (program in Mastercam) and a Jet Horizontal saw. Bunches of indexers, spindex's and rotary stuff...
    Come on over to the shop if ya like
    Jim