587,168 active members*
3,625 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Replacing Dremel

Hello folks

Need some help please.

Built my first CNC touter - with HobbyCNC board, Mach3 + Cut2d SW.

My current router is a dremel 300 one - which is high speed but very low torque.

I am looking for a similar size but more powerful reliable router, to replace the Dremel. Any ideas, suggestions and recommendations will be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Isaac Neuman
    Wakfiled NZ

I replaced a Dremel with a Proxxon LB/E.

PROXXON - LB/E

The long neck made it really easy to build a mounting plate for my machine.

It is much quieter than the Dremel, seems to have more torque (I can't measure this), and has negligible runout.

I used a Proxxon IB/E. More torque than a dremel. Was good for light work. The shaft looks like a glass filled nylon material and it was single bearing. But worked well and is an upgrade from a Dremel.

The driver circuit blew on mine and the local support (warranty return was appaling). But was simple to fix... common components.

I replaced the proxxon with a 800W Kress. That's an order of magnitude better for material cutting, a lot more torque, and a fair bit more expensive.

My Dremel (300 series) is just awful.
    The runout is ~0.5mm (appears to be the collect nut).
    I've used a 3 jaw chuck - which removes most of the runout.
    But at various rpm, it appears to resonate quite badly and get > 0.5mm runout.

I've been considering a Proxxon IB/E for a while.

It looks like the Proxxon would be $199.66 (with shipping & tax)
    Professional drill/grinder IB/E (220-240V) | Proxxon World

A Kress FME800 (inc shipping) 135 British pounds = $214.33 Australian dollars
    Kress High Speed Spindles - Model Engineers Digital Workshop

BUT: It looks like you need to buy collets for the Kress separatelty @ $31AUD each! They don't look like a standard collet.

My Kress cost me EU$142 delivered a few years back. The Kress is a lot heavier than the Proxxon. I've used both... the Kress is an order of magnitude better. Much more power. I can cut through aluminium 3mm plate with a 3mm bit in one pass... although I usually do two passes as I can't keep the bit cool enough (just hardware store grade alu). I use 6mm bits on wood and acrylic. You won't get this with the Proxxon.

Better bearings means longer tool life and better cutting. A little cost now will save you in the long run... and let you do more. I only use the Proxxon hand held now.

CrazyIvan, I bought a Kress 1050, but I think it is too heavy for my Fireball V90 machine.

I stick with the Proxxon because not only is it lighter and better suited to my machine, but it is also quieter.

The Kress has two advantages that will probably see it in another machine at some stage - it is far more powerful, and it takes bigger cutters. The Proxxon has a maximum of 1/8" cutters, I bought 1/8 and 1/4 collets with the Kress.

Incidentally, I bought my Kress from here:

DamenCNC.com

At the time they were cheaper than the UK mob, but you'd have to check exchange rates and freight charges to make sure that was still the case. I can say that they shipped quickly and reliably, and I'd use them again if I needed something they sell.

Hello All

Thank you so much for the great info - this helps a lot.

I guess I will aim at the Kress 800 FME since it has the dimensions and weight that I think will go with my router without causing damage, and I will have the torque and better options for the bits.

Cheers

Isaac

I can also vouch for the Kress FME 800. Great spindle. Make sure you order the 1/8" and 1/4" Clamp (collet) and Clamp Nut (collet nut/holder). Some sellers have them as separate pieces, others combine. This will give you access to the most choice of bits to use. It comes standard with an 8mm collet which is next to useless bits availability wise I think.

I also ordered spare brushes just in case.

I used damencnc.com about 3 1/2 years ago and he was responsive then but I have heard of others having issues with time taken. It might just be a part time business for him but not sure. Pricing is similar to what I paid back then but shipping seems to have doubled or more.

I am using the Kress on a Widgitmaster Wide router
    - WidgitMaster Wide Router with Kress FME 800, HobbyCNC 305oz Stepper Kit
    - WidgitMaster Midi Router with Dremel

Kress Router

I have a Zenbot 1624 which came with a Dremel. Although a nice little machine it's simply not powerfull enough for anything other than engraving.
    I've just taken delivery of the latest Kress 1050-1 router from German company CNC-Plus, [email protected]
    They delivered it in under four days and at a price way below any of the UK suppliers, including those on EBay.

Cheers
    Joe.

Since I'm after something basically for engraving, I'm going for the Proxxon IB/E. I've just placed an order with the local supplier.

Buying local may not have been the cheapest option, but they were in stock and I won't spend two weeks wondering if the package was addressed correctly.