587,708 active members*
3,390 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by WSS View Post
    Got the Z all set up. It is a K2 floating head with 6" of travel. I mounted it to some .5" X 1" 80/20 rack and that has an additional 4" of travel if needed to cut tall or thick stuff. I talked possum plasma (Mick, a swell guy) into letting me try a plasma cam DHC2 breakaway and fit it up to the K2 floater. It went well and it is has two things going for it: brilliant and simple. It will work great. Strong and very repeatable. If it crashes, simply put it back on, no fuss. It naturally "goes home".

Our new system will utilize a remote monitor that will be wall mounted. I picked up a enclosure from automation direct (I have used many advertisers here on the zone with really good luck) and cut out the front and back to hold filters/fans and a piece of lexan/polycarbonate to protect the 27" monitor. It will be mounted by a VESA mount to the wall.

WSS
    WSS, Your water bladder looks like it works great! After reading one of Jim Colts posts on another forum about cutting aluminum on a water table using a bladder I decided it might not be safe for me since I cut so much aluminum. He said draining the aluminum particles into the bladder would allow the hydrogen gas to accumulate inside the enclosed bladder. A potential "boom"

I am confused by the floating head design you are refering to? Are you not going to use a THC system? Apparently you are not going to reuse the Dynatorch torch slide?

Magma-joe

Magma-joe,

The bladder we are using has a 3/4" valve on top of it to vent out air to drop the water back into it (I probably should have put a 1" valve to speed the drop). The air is changed every time it is raised and lowered, so I think it probably is safe for hydrogen build up. Are the aluminum particles the culprit or is it the cutting vapor?

The floating head triggers a switch when it touches the surface. It floats about 1/4" before the switch is triggered. Once it is triggered the Z rises the amount of float plus your arc start height, then goes through the pierce sequence. The K2 has a light touch which will be helpful with "un-clean" slats LOL. We might go four or five sheets before they get a good scraping, so plates tends to get wobbly. I really like the Snap 'n Cut breakaway, I think it will be a nice feature.

Yesterday I did 6 hours of oxy cutting on the water table, cuts were slower but cleaner. The sound was way different too. I dropped the water to 3" under the plate and had virtually no slag. Sometimes you will get a lot of slag when you get back to the pierce area because of the extra heat, the water solved that.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

Got a little bit more done this weekend. This is the housing for the computer and the MP-3000. It has filtered fans and filtered exhaust to handle cooling. This has a clear cover so we can see the lights on the console.

WSS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo814.jpg   Photo815.jpg   Photo816.jpg  
    www.metaltechus.com

PlazPak-4 arrived

About 200lbs of gear showed up today from CandCnc! I have only had time to open and take a quick look so far. The motors are huge. The slave side mount will have to be milled to make room for the 12" of motor and gearbox.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

Smile

Mate, that Snap 'n Cut looks like it was built to fit the DynaTorch.
    Glad it worked out for you....if I can help in any way in the future just give me a holler.....

----------------------
    www.snapncut.com