588,504 active members*
4,862 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: ATC Slide

Page 10 of 11 891011
    I'm not comfortable releasing my M6Start macro because it has grown and grown and is so machine specific it's not even funny plus it does much more.

I would end up having to release screens and button scripts then explain how to use it all and right now I don't have time to dedicate to that. I hope everyone understands.

The generic one that I previously posted can be used and tweaked to fit your needs. It' will make a good base for you to start with.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Joe View Post
    Really Great Build Richard !

Hey - could you publish a sketch of the nylon and metal grippers for the tool changer?

Also - is the last Mach M6 macro published your final version? or?

Thanks for any help - really dreaming of building one.

Thanks for the .DWG files of the metal and nylon grippers, Richard !!
    Much appreciated.

I fully understand about the mach macro... although it is a pity - would love to start dissecting it.

Keep up the great work - you're an inspiration to the rest of us!

Joe
    www.CNC-Joe.com
    CNC Is Not Just My Passion.. It's My Addiction !!!!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    I'm not comfortable releasing my M6Start macro because it has grown and grown and is so machine specific it's not even funny plus it does much more.............
    Richard
    Geez that would be a nightmare for you to deal with if you did....have you any chip making videos with tool changes I'd love to see one, or if and when you have the time to upload one I'd appreciate if you would include a link here in this thread, thanks!
    Eoin

Richard,

Could you please re-post #148, the Carousel Shaft AD, and Spindle Shaft AD files - as .dwg files?

I'm recreating this in CATiA. Would like to build one.

Thanks!

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ATC - Assy SnapShot.jpg  
    www.CNC-Joe.com

Minor Mods

I previously had the ATC slowed way down because it comes to an abrupt stop at the end of the air cylinder stroke. My cylinder is suppose to have cushions but they were not so good so I added flow control valves to slow it down and smooth it out. That worked fine, but I wanted the slide to move faster.

Sunday, I had a couple of hours to play with some stuff so I Added a couple of viton o-rings over the linear rail shafts on each end. After doing that, I was able to turn the slide speed way up (Probably double) and it was cushioned very nicely at each end of the stroke and was very quiet. It made a huge difference.

I ran it thru about 20 tool changes and it positioned perfectly each time without that loud clunk at the end of the stroke. Nice!

When things at work calm down a bit I will get a video of it making chips and changing tools.

Richard

Rich, keep the posts coming!
    Don't keep us hanging !

I'm really enjoying watching your progress here.

I'd definitely like to put one on my RongFu Clone mill (R8 collet, round column...).
    Ok - who am I kidding? I'd love to put one on my SuperMax and my Sherline, too... The SuperMax would be a real science project, though. It has this "Quick Switch 200" tooling - with no draw bar. Thinking I just might make a project out of it on the Sherline for grins and giggles.. then move onto the RongFu.. All I need is a winning lottery ticket.
    www.CNC-Joe.com

Short Video as promised

I had a few minutes this evening to shoot a short video on my iPhone. It's a little shaky but it will have to do for now.

3 Tools, Spot, Drill, Tap 1/4-20.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpmjXtxCHUc&feature=channel&list=UL"]10 Tool ATC in Action - YouTube[/ame]

Edited Video

Looking great Richard ..

Seems to be very smooth & quiet!

Gary

Great job Skinner.

Can you tell us a bit about the tapping head? Is looks like a floating head and the spindle is reversing, no?

Sure, it's the Tormach tension compression tapping head with quick change tap holders. Tormach Tooling System - Tapping Heads and Collets | Tormach LLC | We provide personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items

It works pretty good. I currently have my feed rate set a tad slow, 91% of calculated speed. I need to turn that up a little to keep it from making that snapping noise when pulling out. I was using a roll form tap in that video.

I think I will be machining an adapter to allow my tripod to hold my phone. I can't hold a camera still for anything.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    Great job Skinner.

Can you tell us a bit about the tapping head? Is looks like a floating head and the spindle is reversing, no?

Awesome Work, Rich!
    That really is working slick.

Love the video.
    www.CNC-Joe.com

Joe, I couldn't reply to your PM. It said you had them turned off.

ATC is running like a champ. I use it all the time now. No mishaps. The only change I made to it was to order the correct air cylinder with adjustable air bumpers which smoothed it out tremendously. I thought I ordered that to begin with but ended up with rubber internal bumpers.

If I did it all over again, about the only items I'd change, and still might would be to make a lighter aluminum or Stainless cover for it instead of that heavy steel one I made. The heavy cover made it shake some when air cylinder hit the end of its stroke, but with the adjustable cushions it doesn't shake at all.

The new Mach 4 has me somewhat worried about converting all the screen sets and scripts over. I probably will not convert over until they knock out many of the bugs and I may not convert then.

Have a good one.

Richard

Hey Richard;
    Great Build. Question for ya. The metal forks you designed are .062" in thickiness if I'm measuring right. With a .025 face cut into the front for the tool holder gap, that leaves only .037". I'm assuming you used stainless for the metal portion of your forks. How did you manage to cut the profile on that thin of stock? Also, in your opinion, would aluminum forks of .125 thickness work? I think they would be easier to work with on a mill.
    Have you considered selling a set of prints for your atc design? I'd be on board with it! Also, please post the prints, (already posted in alibre), in dxf format if possible and not too much trouble. I use to have alibre but deleted it off of my system. I now use bobcad 25 and aspire. Both of which will not open an alibre file!
    Wow, ATC!!! Gotta have one!
    Thanks in advance.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

The only change I made to it was to order the correct air cylinder with adjustable air bumpers which smoothed it out tremendously. I thought I ordered that to begin with but ended up with rubber internal bumpers.
    Thanks for the update - Just curious, do you have a link or model # of the air cylinder that you would order with the adj. air bumpers?

Matt

Bill,
    I ended up making all the forks from 6061 Aluminum. I figured it would be easier on my tooling and more forgiving if a mishap occurred.
    I used 0.250" thick material and made the counter bore/relief 0.175" deep. That left 0.075" to engage into the slot for the tool holder.

I started out with steel but after machining the first couple, I decided to go 6061. I have bent 1 fork when my mach tripped out on a servo fault. I should have immediately homed the machine but like a dummy, I told it to put the tool up first. Well, mach had it's machine coordinates screwed up and decided to act like a big old press on the fork. It snapped the nylon bolts and put a nice little bow in the fork.

I laid the fork down on some steel plate and pounded it a few times with a plastic mallet and put it right back on. I know, I should have made some spares.

The plastic forks, well when making them from my original prints, they were a tad loose. I changed my toolpath to allow it to leave 0.010" on the inside cutout so it would be tighter. I need to measure them and correct the prints but keep running in a different direction here on the farm.

Sorry, I'm right in the middle of hay season and I have my hands full. When things calms down a little I'll see what I can do on the prints.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Hey Richard;
    Great Build. Question for ya. The metal forks you designed are .062" in thickness if I'm measuring right. With a .025 face cut into the front for the tool holder gap, that leaves only .037". I'm assuming you used stainless for the metal portion of your forks. How did you manage to cut the profile on that thin of stock? Also, in your opinion, would aluminum forks of .125 thickness work? I think they would be easier to work with on a mill.
    Have you considered selling a set of prints for your atc design? I'd be on board with it! Also, please post the prints, (already posted in alibre), in dxf format if possible and not too much trouble. I use to have alibre but deleted it off of my system. I now use bobcad 25 and aspire. Both of which will not open an alibre file!
    Wow, ATC!!! Gotta have one!
    Thanks in advance.
    Bill

I bought my cylinder from Allied electronics for $62.00 but they had to send me about 3 of them before they got me the one with the correct fittings.
    Standard fitting is suppose to be 1/8" NPT but they kept coming with a 10-32 thread.

SMC Air Cylinder. Double check the info on the SMC site. I used a 12" stroke but I have mine moving out of the way a good ways. I think Tormach only uses like a 6" stroke or so.

NCDGBA25-1200

Here are the forks and springs I used in my toolchanger. The forks are 6061, 3/16" thick, with the toolholder recess milled about 0.1" deep. The springs are 1/4" thick UHMW. Both work perfectly.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Thanks Richard and Ray!
    All information is appreciated. I'm actually taking the pdf from Richards previous post and re-drawing most of the assemblies in bobcad. The scale will most likely be off a few thousands due to my inability to accurately measure the parts just using the tools in the active pdf but I'll just use some common sense after that and adjust when I have to!!!
    Thanks again guys. There goes my summer free time!
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Let me try again.... I've been trying to post for almost a week and I just get "CNCZone Timed Out"

The drawing for the Fork shows it's .125 material, but as I mentioned before I went with .250" material and never updated the drawing in CAD, just in CAM.
    I know, I know, but that is how it is.

Make one and check the fit on the TTS holder. It's actually better if they fit a tad loose than tight.

Richard
    Attached Files Attached Files

SMC Air Cylinder. Double check the info on the SMC site. I used a 12" stroke but I have mine moving out of the way a good ways. I think Tormach only uses like a 6" stroke or so.

NCDGBA25-1200
    Thanks for the model as well as the drawings (you too Ray).

Matt

Page 10 of 11 891011