587,308 active members*
3,594 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 10 of 19 89101112

Re: Design & Build of Frankenrouter

Hi All - The new aluminium motor mounts are longer then the steel ones. So I'll model these up and then order the screws. This means the end detail will not be "standard". So BST will need a detail dwg for these. Peter

Afternoon All - I'm very pleased with myself. I have built my first serious part in F360. All went smoothly. Now to import that into Frankies Alibre model and sort the ballscrews, rail foundations and gantry. At last Frankies on the move again. Peter

Evening all and sundry - At last I have caught up with stuff and can get back to Frankie. I started first fit of the Z axis assm today and mustered the screws and bits and bobs. All seems well. Next is to lap the two plates and epoxy them together. Then start rethinking the wall tops in view of an integral dust enclosure...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails z axis 1.jpg   z axis 2.jpg   z axis 3.jpg  

Evening all- broke out the saddle and bearings. I particularly like the saddle. Really stiff. Frankie will have 320mm of Z axis travel so it has to be stiff. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Evening all- broke out the saddle and bearings. I particularly like the saddle. Really stiff. Frankie will have 320mm of Z axis travel so it has to be stiff. Peter
    Yes, the saddle looks good.
    Mactec54

Morning All - Today I laminated the Z axis plate. Now its time to get back to CAD and re-sort the gantry and its foundations plus the enclosure. I tried to bring the STEP of Frankie Assm into Fusion and continue but I have a bit to learn about F360 assemblies. So I shall bring the Fusion motor mount into Alibre and continue Frankie in Alibre. Next machine will be in Fusion... (I hope!) Peter

Evening all - Today I built the saddle proper and chased the holes in the z plate that filled with epoxy. They didn't do this last time, must have used more epoxy this time. Now can get back to CAD for the gantry... Peter

Evening all - Today I did second fit on the Z axis. I was checking bolt lengths and found some of the car threaded holes were a bit short. I chased them but still short. They do work but could be an issue when pulled up quite tight. Will find out. I also finished the shower partition today so tomorrow I can sheet out the shower and the workshop washroom will be functionally complete!! Yeh been a long project... Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Evening all - Today I did second fit on the Z axis. I was checking bolt lengths and found some of the car threaded holes were a bit short. I chased them but still short. They do work but could be an issue when pulled up quite tight. Will find out. I also finished the shower partition today so tomorrow I can sheet out the shower and the workshop washroom will be functionally complete!! Yeh been a long project... Peter
    Is it only one or are they all like it, send a message to the supplier, how many threads will the SHCS go in, if 1.5 times the diameter you will be ok 1.5 times the diameter is a good measure, more can be better sometimes, depending on the fastener strength, the threaded area could be hard because of the heat treatment of the Linear Bearing, so a regular tap may not do much
    Mactec54

Hi Mac - I have only checked the 4 cars for the Z axis. 2 of them have a short thread on one out of 4 holes. I have not yet checked the other cars. I definitely will give feedback to the supplier once everything is checked. The good threads are one tap deep. I shall find the suppliers drawing and check what that says first. Being an M5 screw means the thread needs to be 7.5mm deep which on good threads is well over that. I don't have an M5 bottom tap so was going to get one before I "panic" I chased with an intermediate.... Peter

Evening All and Sundry - Frankie is on the move again. I decided to get stuff off the project table so started screwing the electrics on. I usually do this last but its progress & gets some project traction. Peter

Hi All - Frankie's on the move again. I rebuilt the foundation plates and installed them today. I made them wider to accept cable chains or be bases for the dust enclosure. Next is to finalise the gantry and get it built. Peter

Hi all - last night I roughed out Frankies stage 1 gantry bits. 1200x160mm under full vacuum will have 2 tonne on it so I think I;'ll run the bag at 50% vacuum. The 30mm deep section will have 2mm aluminium plate each side so its bending stiffness as a solid plate is 21mm thick. When I put the extra bit on it will be equivalent to a 43mm thick solid aluminium plate yet weigh the same as a 6mm plate, plus some pine. Off to set up the bag and prime the timber.... Peter

Looking good Pete,
    Keep the updates comming and have a great Xmas

Gully
    Striving for medeocrity..and achieving high scores!

Hey Gully - Yes I hope Santa delivers your favorite tools. I expect you've been a good boy this year? Today I set up the stage 1 of the gantry. Because I use very thin epoxies I use a scrim between surfaces to control the bondline thickness. In this case I used some old tulle that was lying around. Its 0.2mm thick. If you use no scrim you run the risk of zero bondline thickness. I usually use vacuum mastic as I'm aiming at very low bag pressures for infusions and zero leaks, but I used masking tape as its cheaper. This being a wet layup a leaky bag is OK. This bag came down and settled at 9kPa which is 9% atm pressure still a big squeeze on the parts. Still about 1.8 tonne on this part.... So we wait until tomorrow to release and inspect. Peter

Morning all and Sundry - Released the gantry today and trimmed it up. Looks good and its flat! bonus. Also made a Xmas tree for our mantle. Next is to finalise the holes in the gantry model and drill and profile the gantry. Have to decide what colour to paint it? Black with red detail is the norm.. I made a hiccup with the bag. I assumed that the resin world not come out of the inner bag but it did! I only put one coat of wax on the table and if it is to release it needs 5-6 coats. Bummer, blobs of epoxy on my benchtop so I had to scrape those off... my usual rule is if its in the bag and you don't want resin to stick, then it has to be sealed or waxed. Better follow my own advice. Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gantry 3-its flat.jpg   Xmas Tree -bonus job.jpg  

Morning all and Ho Ho Ho - Setting up to machine Frankies gantry on Scoot. Decided to check its flatness and need to adjust it a bit on one side. Chase several 1/10'smm here and there. Once I get it flat I'll set up the gantry billet. I may have to plan the wasteboard. Peter

Christmass Salutations!! I did plane the board and the melamine was like snow! doesn't snow here but its Christmas Eve so why not. Hope Santa treats you all well. Peter

https://www.facebook.com/ScootCNC/vi...3096706016827/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Levelling 2.jpg  

Evening All & Sundry - I had some recreational time today after all the relies left... so I set up the Gantry and drilled it and profiled it. Very happy will release it tomorrow. Do a trial fit then move onto adding its stage 2 bits...Peter

https://www.facebook.com/ScootCNC/vi...56906574707561
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gantry 1.jpg   Gantry 2.jpg   Gantry 3.jpg   Gantry 4.jpg  

Hi All - Its nearly 2023! I have been doing some drilling lately on the router and the bits always get hot and squeal. So I started reading up on feeds/speeds for drills and found I was way out on my feeds. Way too slow which explains the friction. I've been rubbing the material away! So next time I'll try some of Suttons numbers. Peter

Brochures | Sutton Tools

Page 10 of 19 89101112