587,192 active members*
2,344 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 11 of 19 910111213

Re: Design & Build of Frankenrouter

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi All - Its nearly 2023! I have been doing some drilling lately on the router and the bits always get hot and squeal. So I started reading up on feeds/speeds for drills and found I was way out on my feeds. Way too slow which explains the friction. I've been rubbing the material away! So next time I'll try some of Suttons numbers. Peter

Brochures | Sutton Tools
    If you peck drill, it will help you, as you have a minimum spindle speed that you can run at, which is the main problem when drilling with these spindles, the drill specs go out the window when you can't use the correct spindle speed for the drill

For a Peck cycle full retract it is like this G83G98X----Y----Z- ---- R3.Q3.F---- the R is the retract after it has finished the full depth 3mm this can be any number to suit you for clearance of your work, and the Q3mm depth of cut (Peck) before retracting this to can be any number to suit your operation, The G98 may need to be G99 for the R to work
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec - I do program peck drilling in fusion. It hasn't helped as I can't run the spindle slow enough and next time I'll feed quite a bit faster. Reading Suttons and Guhring manuals now. But working thru options, I'm sure there are solutions out there. Peter

attached is gcode for drilling from fusion
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Mactec - I do program peck drilling in fusion. It hasn't helped as I can't run the spindle slow enough and next time I'll feed quite a bit faster. Reading Suttons and Guhring manuals now. But working thru options, I'm sure there are solutions out there. Peter

attached is gcode for drilling from fusion
    You want to use the G83 and add the Q=depth of peck what you are using is leaving the drill in the hole which will heat it up
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec - Found the G83 in Fusion will try that soonest. Ta Peter
    Attached Files Attached Files

Morning all members and guests. - This morning a made the webs for Frankies gantry. I've also trial fitted the bearings and bits to the gantry and all's good on that front. I need to get some correct length capscrews and I'll be able to move it along a bit further. So now pull down the gantry, prep it for paint and bonding the webs on, then I can paint it and bond the bottom aluminium flange on - gantry done. Then its first fit assemble and wiring time... Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gantry bottom 1.jpg   gantry bottom 2.jpg  

Hi All - Today it rained so didn't get as far as I wanted with the paint. But got a couple of coats on and some smoothing. I also broke two bits cutting the flange. I'll ignore the Suttons feed per tooth data from now on. I sent them a note saying I think their table is wrong... I got it done and tomorrow I can get a couple of more coats on and its done... Any suggestions for a dia6mm 1F tool feed, DOC and rpm would be appreciated.... Peter

Evening all you Sages and Neophytes - Today I got the gantry finished and trial fitted. I then set the primary wall rail, (can't say master and slave anymore) its coming along very nicely. When I designed the drives for Frankie the supplied dwgs for the motor mounts/bearings was a bit vague so I didn't order the ballscrews. I was also told the alloy ones where the same as the steel ones. Well they are longer so the ballscrew end details will be different. So I'm glad to have waited to see these in the flesh. Tomorrow I can set the secondary wall rail then move onto the gantry rails. These will need to be cut as the drive nut screws ended up interfering... then draw up the ballscrews and get them on order. I'm going to order an 800W water cooled spindle for Frankie... All the big hurdles have been jumped now, just need to do lots of assembling. Peter

Evening all you Sages and Neophytes - Today I got the gantry finished and trial fitted. I then set the primary wall rail, (can't say master and slave anymore) its coming along very nicely. When I designed the drives for Frankie the supplied dwgs for the motor mounts/bearings was a bit vague so I didn't order the ballscrews. I was also told the alloy ones where the same as the steel ones. Well they are longer so the ballscrew end details will be different. So I'm glad to have waited to see these in the flesh. Tomorrow I can set the secondary wall rail then move onto the gantry rails. These will need to be cut as the drive nut screws ended up interfering... then draw up the ballscrews and get them on order. I'm going to order an 800W water cooled spindle for Frankie... All the big hurdles have been jumped now, just need to do lots of assembling. Peter
    I though you wanted more power with the bigger machine is there a problem with the 1.5Kw Spindle
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec - The 1.5kW is working fine. Frankie is smaller than Scoot and the 800W will fit better. But I'm still thinking that through as there's only $25USD diff 1.5kW to 800W.... Today I committed the wall rails and tomorrow I pick up a blade to cut the gantry rails down so its progressing well... Peter

Hi Mactec - The 1.5kW is working fine. Frankie is smaller than Scoot and the 800W will fit better. But I'm still thinking that through as there's only $25USD diff 1.5kW to 800W.... Today I committed the wall rails and tomorrow I pick up a blade to cut the gantry rails down so its progressing well... Peter
    I though the idea of Frankie was a bigger built machine, the 1.5Kw must better if you have no power problems to run it, would be a better choice and you could swap them if you ever had a problem with one at anytime
    Mactec54

Hi M54 - Frankie turned out to be a much smaller machine then Scoot. Next one will be bigger. To explain Frankies history a bit further:
    1) Originally Frankenrouter was to use up all the surplus parts I had, which has occurred except for the belt drives. I used ballscrews because at some point thru the development a person became interested in buying Frankie so I went with screws vs the belts as this would suit his application better
    2) another rule was that parts where to be made by myself if possible. So all the machine base was cut on Scoot, the gantry was made by myself as well. The Z axis is a std Scoot assm. I was ordering parts for a build and it was easier to order the steel parts for the Z then build, plus I had the square rails and cars. So Frankie has a std Scoot Z axis
    3) I wanted to build a composite saddle but again as I was ordering parts for Scoot it was easier to go with a slightly moded aluminium Scoot saddle

Since Scoot can build 1220mm long parts max that defined the width of Frankie. Next build will have a bed size of 2400x600 plus so will be closer to the original Frankenrouter concept. cheers for 2023 Peter

Hi All - Todays job was fixing a friends birds neck. After this I refitted Frankie's gantry, square and tight. I've bought a steel cutting disc for my saw so now move onto the gantry cross rails. Both have to be cut down a little bit.... Peter

Hi All - Todays job was fixing a friends birds neck. After this I refitted Frankie's gantry, square and tight. I've bought a steel cutting disc for my saw so now move onto the gantry cross rails. Both have to be cut down a little bit.... Peter
    Move with caution on the cutting of the Rails, as they are case hardened, and your saw blade won't normally work to well on that, your Grinder with a cutoff wheel is best for the rails then the rest can be cut with your saw blade, if the rails are soft then the metal cutting blade will work
    Mactec54

Morning all you Makers out there - Yes Mactec I have cut rails before with a disc not a saw. I'm sure a saw would fail in the task of getting thru the case hardening. See image attached. The casing was very hard from the impression I had with my file sliding on it during deburring.

Anyone using these round rails check the rail is torqued down to the support correctly, a couple of screws in these 4 rails where quite loose and there's lots of filings in there as well. Worthwhile pulling them down and cleaning them out to prevent a future jam up...

YEE HAW!! big day today. Frankie now looks like a router!! Alignment came together well. Now to finalise the ballscrews and start wiring... Looking fwd to cnc movement. Peter

Morning all you Makers out there - Yes Mactec I have cut rails before with a disc not a saw. I'm sure a saw would fail in the task of getting thru the case hardening. See image attached. The casing was very hard from the impression I had with my file sliding on it during deburring.

Anyone using these round rails check the rail is torqued down to the support correctly, a couple of screws in these 4 rails where quite loose and there's lots of filings in there as well. Worthwhile pulling them down and cleaning them out to prevent a future jam up...

YEE HAW!! big day today. Frankie now looks like a router!! Alignment came together well. Now to finalise the ballscrews and start wiring... Looking fwd to cnc movement. Peter
    So did the blade last ok, and if it did what was the blade and manufacture specs, because we all want one, I cut a lot of rails so this would be a time saver if it worked well
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec- Its an abrasive wheel not a blade. Here's what I used. Its a cheapy from the local hardware. I didn't measure its starting diameter but its nominal is 230mm and its now 229mm so lost 1mm in one cut. Was a nice cut. Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wheel.jpg  

Hi Mactec- Its an abrasive wheel not a blade. Here's what I used. Its a cheapy from the local hardware. I didn't measure its starting diameter but its nominal is 230mm and its now 229mm so lost 1mm in one cut. Was a nice cut. Peter
    When I saw you using your miter saw I thought you had found the magic metal cutting blade
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec - I suspect there is a magic diamond grit saw out there somewhere but I have not looked for it. Peter

Evening all - Been fitting a few bits to Frankie. Figured out its envelope as X930mm (L to R), Y750mm (depth) and Z320mm (obviously height). Very happy with Z. Start wiring tomorrow. Peter

Hi All - Figured out the last bits of Frankie and have got the ballscrews on order today. I decided to go with an 800W water cooled spindle so that's on order as well. I shall make a carbon fibre tool plate when the spindle clamp gets here. So now to the wiring. Peter

Page 11 of 19 910111213