587,420 active members*
3,252 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 11 of 29 91011121321
    Quote Originally Posted by wisp View Post
    How about front mounted Y as standard (no mill mods), and rear mounted as an option (mods required)? We could also make direct drive standard, (good for steppers) and belt drive optional. Belt drive does add some cost though. I personally do not like the "stilt" type belt drive mounts, they look too flimsy/cheap. Fusion belt drive mounts will likely be machined from billet aluminum for strength and aesthetic appeal. (no one wants to pay for a kit that looks like bits picked up from Home Depot)

cheers,
    Micha
    Will the extra shaft hanging out the back interfere with the Z ball thread/screw? Will you loose much travel in Z if you are planing on mount the Y axis stepper/servo out the back? How and where does the lower bearing mount for Z axis? Pics?

Im thinking very hard about which machine to buy and CNC, this is on top of the list at the moment but in a different colour

Quote Originally Posted by latheboy View Post
    Will the extra shaft hanging out the back interfere with the Z ball thread/screw? Will you loose much travel in Z if you are planing on mount the Y axis stepper/servo out the back? How and where does the lower bearing mount for Z axis? Pics?

Im thinking very hard about which machine to buy and CNC, this is on top of the list at the moment but in a different colour
    there is no lower bearing for the z ball screw. it would float. there would be no interference from the y screw passing through the column. the z scrw would end at least 5-6" above the position of the y screw.

Can cncfusion confirm what the X/Y handwheel graduations are? Based on the specs I'm assuming .002" since they say .100 per revolution and they don't look big enough for 100 marks around the outside. I'll be manual for a while so I'm interested in knowing that.

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    there is no lower bearing for the z ball screw. it would float. there would be no interference from the y screw passing through the column. the z scrw would end at least 5-6" above the position of the y screw.
    Is that not a problem?.... I would like it to have some support...

Quote Originally Posted by latheboy View Post
    Is that not a problem?.... I would like it to have some support...
    many machines dont have support on the floating end of the Z. not even on some bigger vmc's like haas. gravity it your friend here, and with a short screw, its just not needed. all that asside, you cant really get a support bearing inside the column if you wanted to. just no way to acess it.

You need an angular contact or thrust bearing on the Z. I found on my R45 it was easier to but it on the lower end in the column. The head on my R45 is about 200lb and I didn't like the idea of it 'hanging' from the top. I assume if you design it correctly, you only need an angular contact at the top.

I am starting to wonder if I should not have put a bearing on both ends of the X. It was a ***** to align them both and I still don't like the way the end-cap pins worked out. Thinking back I could have just used bearings on one end, both regular bearings and a thrust instead of a thrust and bearing on both ends.

I only have one bearing on the Y.

Quote Originally Posted by cncJerry View Post
    You need an angular contact or thrust bearing on the Z. I found on my R45 it was easier to but it on the lower end in the column. The head on my R45 is about 200lb and I didn't like the idea of it 'hanging' from the top. I assume if you design it correctly, you only need an angular contact at the top.

I am starting to wonder if I should not have put a bearing on both ends of the X. It was a ***** to align them both and I still don't like the way the end-cap pins worked out. Thinking back I could have just used bearings on one end, both regular bearings and a thrust instead of a thrust and bearing on both ends.

I only have one bearing on the Y.
    you need a support bearing on the y. the screw is so long it will sag and it could become an issue for wear. they y you dont need. if you design an adjustable floating mount for the x, it shouldnt be bad to align.

you never want to put 2 support bearings on the screw, the non drive end always floats axially, even if its supported radially. if you put fixed bearings on both ends youll have a nightmare aligning it and it could cause problems with thermal expansion.

heres a haas tm1. you can see the end of the z screw is unsupported (has a stopper on it).

hurco vm1 with floating support bearings on all 3 axes visible.

^^ what makes them floating? They look fixed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Starleper1 View Post
    ^^ what makes them floating? They look fixed to me.
    they are a slip fit in the mount. in the axial direction there is nothing preventing them from moving. on the drive side they are held with back to back angular contact bearings (likely 4).

basically, you need one fixed side, usually the drive side. then the other side is either floating (hurco) or unsupported (haas)

Hmmm....... my available credit just dropped by about $1,100. I may have to call tomorrow and find out the score.

I just received notice that mine shipped from PA. They sent it overnight.
    I ordered on Jan 16th.

Hi, I am looking for Polymer Composite machine base manufacturer in California, does any body know?

All Right !!
    I just got the call. Will be delivered this Thursday....ordered on Jan 5th.
    Just got my workbench setup a few days ago with some conveyor belt surface so it's ready to be received. Can't Wait !!

I'm not sure when mine will arrive but if anyone feels generous enough to post out any drawings or dimensions of relevant features I'd love to start making a few things while I wait.

I'm sticking with leadscrews to start I think. I'll see how my HobbyCNC 425oz stepper handles the Y. It's already sitting here so if it will work then so be it. Going to exceed my original electronics plans on the Z though so I may well be going the commercial route. I can't easily put together anything that can handle in excess of 3A ~40V so that may kill my little microcontroller 3 axis driver box project which was aimed at the X2. I'm sure I could put the brains to some other use though.

Mine's in the house. Not too bad unloading the crate from the truck and down the stairs except that I'm fighting food poisoning.:tired:
    MUCH easier than the RF45 ordeal.
    Glad they bolt the mill to the skid, I ignored the "This End Up" placards.
    Now it's time to open my xmas gift.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    Mine's in the house. Not too bad unloading the crate from the truck and down the stairs except that I'm fighting food poisoning.:tired:
    MUCH easier than the RF45 ordeal.
    Glad they bolt the mill to the skid, I ignored the "This End Up" placards.
    Now it's time to open my xmas gift.
    Hoss
    woo!

take lots of pics. also, if you could post some key measurements (maybe put a ruler in some photos).

haha wow, mine is now estimated for delivery on 06/18/2010. I think the more you ask, the more weeks they add on lol
    FS: Complete Z-Axis Assembly with THK RSR15WM slide, leadscrew, stepper mount. PM for more info.

They are just quoting the current ETA for new orders when you call. That may have little to nothing to do with when your machine goes out the door.

these must be selling like mad if the back ordeer just keeps moving back while people are actually recieving theirs at the original date quoted at ordering.

i sense many cnc conversion build threads in the future. haha.

Enraged, you might just get yours much sooner than that. I called a few days ago and they told me April 1 (no kidding) and now mine will be here Thursday...go figure?

Quote Originally Posted by Enraged View Post
    haha wow, mine is now estimated for delivery on 06/18/2010. I think the more you ask, the more weeks they add on lol

Page 11 of 29 91011121321