588,169 active members*
4,756 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 11 of 90 9101112132161

Wait a minute..

Could someone be so kind as to re-cap where we are at here? we started with $30 dollar drives, but now we are at 4 drives in one package? so in the end will this thing cost $120? will the individual drives be available by themselves so if someone does smoke a couple of them, they will be able to replace them without having to replace the entire box? I know all of us aren't electronics technicians (like myself), but i think if you can build a CNC machine, you should be able to figure out how to swap out a modular drive.. but i guess if you include some of the better features of your highend drives, it'll still compete with the other 4 axis DIY drives out there..

Here is a recap:

We will be offering several new products in the cheap line. They are as of now unnamed projects, and they will be the following:

- A cheap "barebones" drive that will have a target price of $29
    - A higher end version of the cheap drive that should cost around $49 that will have short circuit protection and several more features
    - A four-axis complete package with a motherboard, four drives, an anodized can, DB9 connectors to go to motors, a direct parallel port connection, and a 12-position header

All of these drives are going to be 3.5A and 50V rated. They will be almost entirely surface mount components aside from the parts that absolutely have to be through hole such as MOSFETs.

This is just the basics of what these drives will contain, and there are several technical posts in here regarding all of the details of them.

These drives are just one thing we will be releasing this year, in addition to a new version of our servo drive that will utilize CPLD design akin to the G203V and the stepper servo.

-Marcus Freimanis

ok i am begging ........i need this badly.:-) any time frame?

I would say they will be in production by the end of March, provided we run into no road blocks with the design and use of the drive. This is just a rough estimate, and the official answer is "It will be ready when it is ready." Because of the number of variables involved, that is the best we can do.

-Marcus Freimanis

thanks.....i understand completely......it just sounds just right.:-)

I think it's best to stay with a ready assembled and tested item. After all, not all CNC hobbyist is good in electronics. As mentioned, offering as a kit consumes a lot of time... packaging and also answering lots of question regarding non working item due diy mistakes.
    http://9w2dtr.blogspot.com/

Here's the repackaged 4 axis unit.

Mariss
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4-axis.jpg  

Hi Mariss,

I like it. It should be quite a neat install mounted to the rear plate of an enclosure.

If you provide a dxf drawing file of the db connectors and the mounting hole locations, then the first cnc job of any machine converted/retrofited with the new Gecko unit can be to cutout the back panel of the cnc enclosure. :-)

The dxf drawing can be converted to gcode with Sheetcam or lazycam.

Cheers,

Peter.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by phomann View Post
    Hi Mariss,

I like it. It should be quite a neat install mounted to the rear plate of an enclosure.

If you provide a dxf drawing file of the db connectors and the mounting hole locations, then the first cnc job of any machine converted/retrofited with the new Gecko unit can be to cutout the back panel of the cnc enclosure. :-)

The dxf drawing can be converted to gcode with Sheetcam or lazycam.

Cheers,

Peter.

I think the idea is to use it as a back panel as it is already. It would be redundant to add a panel on top of it. I like it.

Kreutz.

Hi Kreutz,

Yes you are correct. The cut-out could just be a rectangle of the appropriate size.

Cheers,

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz View Post
    I think the idea is to use it as a back panel as it is already. It would be redundant to add a panel on top of it. I like it.

Kreutz.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Inspiration

I just spent the last couple hours reading this entire thread. All I can say is that you guys are an inspiration. Thanks for doing what you do, and for sharing it with us!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by dex918 View Post
    I think it's best to stay with a ready assembled and tested item. After all, not all CNC hobbyist is good in electronics. As mentioned, offering as a kit consumes a lot of time... packaging and also answering lots of question regarding non working item due diy mistakes.
    Ever for those of us that are comfortable doing our own wiring and electronics this is appealing. The amount of time and effort this will save will allow one to get a system up and running quickly. The new packaging will make it easy to mount the unit in a box with power supply for a single and simple "cnc" control box. For smaller machines with nema 23 motors one will get G201 performance at around half the price.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariss Freimanis View Post

The idea for this assembly method is to minimize the labor component. I am looking at some ideas for eliminating the eight 2-56 screws from the assembly as well. These ideas cannot be tested until I have a prototype unit built up.

Mariss
    Mariss,have you considered nylon pcb standoff posts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails revlkdw2.jpg  
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

And it won't even have been three weeks from idea presentation until Thursday! I'm wondering what the total time from idea conception to market is going to be?!?

Why not integrate 4-axis drive on one PCB including D-sub connectors? Reduces size & cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
    Why not integrate 4-axis drive on one PCB including D-sub connectors? Reduces size & cost.
    the idea is to keep drives separate, for easy replacement if needed, and also prove 2 to 4 axis units, so end user will not have to do anything as far as soldering extra axis, and as started easy for Geckodrives Drives to diagnose problems.

Quote Originally Posted by joecnc2006 View Post
    the idea is to keep drives separate, for easy replacement if needed, and also prove 2 to 4 axis units, so end user will not have to do anything as far as soldering extra axis, and as started easy for Geckodrives Drives to diagnose problems.
    But if the box is fixed for 4 drives only, then single PCB solution can provide the same. It would also have higher reliability.

Xerxes,

Good question.

1) Nothing can be shared between drives, not even the regulated voltages (1.8V, 3.3V and 12V) so the component count is the same with either solution.

2) The separate drives and mobo solution takes advantage of the "z-axis" while the single board solution requires twice the "x,y" area by comparison. The package enclosure has more surface area and costs more.

3) Having a 2-layer mobo stacked atop the 4-layer drive boards is the equivalent of a single 6-layer board from the aspect of connectivity.

4) Connectors and metal packaging account for the majority cost of the unit. Minimizing package surface area helps keep costs down.

5) The details of heatsinking the MOSFETs, component dimensions and having a uniform hight for the connector interface is problematic in a single board design. Any solution grows the size of the board.

6) A single failed drive sinks the entire single board solution. A failed drive can be inexpensively replaced in the multi board solution. This is a significant difference.

Mariss

How about taking preproduction orders? It would be nice to be one of the first to give it a run. This could help you see what the market demand is.

While I do play a little poker and the lottery from time to time, I don't consider myself a gambling man, but I wold be willing to bet the demand for this will be high.
    Lee

Page 11 of 90 9101112132161