588,285 active members*
5,341 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 11 of 19 910111213
    Buzz, can't wait to see the pics. I've had a lot of experience with carpet tape and I switched over to it since joe told me about it. The stuff is great, its in green boxes at home depot and has an incredible tack to it. The last thing I cut was an 1 1/2" thick slab sign, around 15"x30" and I used 4 pieces of carpet tape and a screw or two (only because it was slightly warped). It didn't move at all, and if it was flat I could have gotten away with just carpet tape. At first I was skeptical and worrysom about using just tape as it COULD move but it doesnt. you dont need a lot either, just a 3-4" piece on each corner, depends on what you're cutting out. To get the piece off just use a thin and wide putty knife and wedge it out, it should take some effort but not a lot. One thing that helps is setting up a fence on your table so you can sit it down in that corner and then drop it in and take a rubber mallet to it to get it to stick well because you only get one shot with the tape, if you take it off you loose a lot of the holding power of the adhesive. The tape sticks but it doesn't leave any residue on solids or mdf. Sometimes it wiggles, it depends on how flat your material is, obviously the more surface area of tape you use the less of the chance, but you don't have to be so generous when applying it. Main reason I like it is that you know you will NEVER hit a screw head or a clamp. I've already come close to doing both!

It's in.... went in nice and easy ... fits like a glove 1/2" on each side to spare, 1" on the top and 2" on the end. I think it looks awesome in the machining booth.... no one else around me seems to care, their just glad the pool table is back.

Thanks for the additional advice on the tape... I am headed down to Home Depot to get some this morning.

I will try and post pictures today but can't promise as I have a pretty busy weekend and summer has pulled in 70-75F here this weekend.

Buzz

Sounds good!

Thanks for the all the tips, can't wait to see your machine in action!
    Keep up the good work!

Bob

As expected I basically got nothing down this weekend.

Pictures have been uploaded. Enjoy.

I saw the way you Sq. your machine, seemed like a lengthy process, all i did was machine a line on the very left side for the length of the X-Axis, then layed a carpenters sq. in the grove then drew a line with a pen right on the top of the X-Axis torsion box (This way it is always there and easy to check) then jog the Machine to the lecf line using a v-carve bit place it at Z-0 on the line then jog to the other edge of the Y-Axis and see how far out of sq. it is as well as the Z0 at the same time, then do apropreate adjustments and check again, this is a very fast way of checking the machine.

Joe

Thanks Joe, now this is what I was looking for in the questions I had asked on calibration methods people were using.

After talking with my buddy who is making the second machine this weekend about me only putting one brace on the gantry sides... I check this morning how straight they are... one side is perfect... the other side NOT good. Going to have to fix this, aluminum. Advice for others, make sure you put braces on both sides.

Having lots of fun aligning the machine perfectly. Lets see square X and Y axis, level the Y axis to the X bed, then ensure the cutter is square to the material (this one is trickest so far). I aligning the cutter to the table I split the MDF in the Z axis carrage... while all is working fine I don't want to finallize the callibration of the machine as I am scared of making it inoperatable.

So Chips are flying but not for pleasure but to make a new carrage for the Z axis (should have it fixed in a day or so). Sure is nice to watch it move fast and cut at speeds I could only dream the last machine would move at let alone machine something.

Also been testing tapees... amazing the differences in them.

Attached an aluminum angle on the other side of the gantry... as it bends some I am thinking about changing both for steal 1/4" angle but this is going to weigh lots.

I have update pictures. www.cncmachine.phillipsfamily.ca

Man sorry to hear about the z-axis, but atleast you have all the files done to make another,..

Hmmmm, a self healing machine, makes its own parts. LOL

Glad to hear it is atlease a little better than your last machine, it is looking good so far sitting in its booth.

Cool idea about the metal plate on the machine bed to stop all when reached.

The carpet tape i use the fiberglass type (white color) woork well for me.

On your table do you have an area cut out for accessing the leadscrew and anti-backlash but on the X-Axis? this makes it easier to lube and adjust.

Maybe I should name it Da Borg

All the parts are cut for the Z axis... man is it sweet cutting with this machine.... I have 1/4" cuts 1/4" deep going at 60IPM and I bet I could have pushed it faster.

A LITTLE better... It's night and day difference...

The tape I am prefering looks like weaved fiberglass... Not sure if it actually fiberglass I will post a closer picture next time for you to reference.

Yup I have a port to access the mechanical part of the gantry. Think it is 6 * 6. Greasing I will do from the side (atleast I am hoping to).

yeah I use the fiberglass carpet tape as well, it has an amazing initial tack to it and is incredibly strong for what it is.. it's in a green box at home depot, maybe 2 1/2" wide roll. Where are you guys getting lithium grease at in home depot? What section are you finding it in? I'm afraid to ask an employee there. Last time I asked for any help was probably 2 years ago after dealing with so much crap that they call help. I even use their self checkouts; a completely independent buying process. For example, the last two times I've gone, I've been quite unsuccessful in finding ANYONE in the store to get me to cut me the carpet liner so I can build the new dust collection attachment. I asked one guy the other night and he refused, saying it wasn't his department, he was the only one on that side of the store! I might drive 25 minutes just so I can actually get help at lowes!

/rant

Buzz, I like all of your photos, I looked at every single one. I think it's cool watching you build it and appreciate the time you take to document it. It will help someone down the line significantly; just as looking at sparkys, joes, jays and davids did for me. Pictures are worth a lot when it comes time to assemble the machine and do it right. Some of your photos show a drill chuck that hts sells. Do you really like extending that drill bit that much? Is there any flex or trouble swinging it? Just seems like it's extended like 6", something you wouldn't catch me doing with a router. Maybe I'm wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz9075 View Post
    Maybe I should name it Da Borg

All the parts are cut for the Z axis... man is it sweet cutting with this machine.... I have 1/4" cuts 1/4" deep going at 60IPM and I bet I could have pushed it faster.

A LITTLE better... It's night and day difference...

The tape I am prefering looks like weaved fiberglass... Not sure if it actually fiberglass I will post a closer picture next time for you to reference.

Yup I have a port to access the mechanical part of the gantry. Think it is 6 * 6. Greasing I will do from the side (atleast I am hoping to).
    Now you see it... now you don't. I like it! The enclosure sure is a great idea!
    How is it working out?
    Great job with your machine!!!
    Bob

I tried to locate the green tape but the ones on my web site are all I located. If you get a chance could you snap a photo of tape and box.

I think the extra lenght really affected my last machine, as well as the larger router on a dremal based machine but I could never be for sure. I do known this I just cut all the Z axis carrage parts in less than 1 hour cutting time and everything was PERFECT (the machine just purrs through this stuff). The only thing I did was push a piece of drill rod through to make sure it fit properly and file down the start and stop locations. (It's glued up now).... man I really don't look forward to taking the entire gantry apart AGAIN... it's a pain in the <>$.

Glad everyone enjoys the pictures.... love seeing people are benifiting from it this time. I have documented atleast one big project a year for the last 7 years. The biggest one being at (note these links will expire when the IP changes):
    http://74.104.180.20/thephillips/Pho...3MainFloor.asp

This job was my third hardwood floor and my first tile floor. I had a blast doing it took 3 or 4 months to complete.... and my wife NEVER complained once.... my friends thought I was NUTS... but who cares they don't live hear. This floor install required that I prebuild in the fireplace.... which I installed a few years later....

Then the neighbours thought I was out of my mind when I punched a hole in the side of my house and did my first fireplace move. My nieghbour was thinking of moving when he found out I was also doing the gas (and it was my first time ) ...

http://74.104.180.20/thephillips/Pho...5FirePlace.asp

The shop has always been a great hide away for me... not used as much as now. Sure wish it was bigger. When I first designed the basement I did the sliding doors for both the furnace room and the wood shop this way I did not loose any space due to doors nor was I going to be limited to a door size for anything... which sure benifited me this time.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...535&lpage=none

That's the tape, hd should carry it as well. Looking at your new photos now you posted.

Buzz, your a man after my own heart! Why pay for it to be done when you can learn to do it yourself for free (Ignoring the cost of little mishaps!).

Some more pictures have been posted.... I am going to keep my tape information gathered up in the tape section.

I was working with ply wood yesterday and found the tape did not work so well. Suspect that with T slots and tape all will be find.. for now a screw or two will work.

I have a 48" t-slot running on the two sides and just use a cross piece of alumn. held on the ends with the t-slots when holding smaller pieces. works good for me.

only use tape on to small of pieces, under 12"

That sounds like a cool way of doing it. This would also keep the clamps out of the way of the machining site. Never thought about it this way, took my idea from other pictures I saw only problem with running them up the side is I weakened my table on the edges due to the dado edges... May be I will reduce the number of cross sections and use your alluminum bar idea. At present I was planning on them every 7", with your method I could put them every 20" or so.

What size of alluminum bar are you using?

Buzz, did you consider or going to add some threaded rod through the gantry uprights? here is a good picture Brian took of his, which was posted in the mod and addition section. I believe he may have placed them either at 14.5" or 15" from bottom, mine are at 14.5" you can place them where ever needed just by adding some drill holes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails threaded rods.jpg  

Page 11 of 19 910111213