588,500 active members*
5,907 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Tonsen - eBay ReadyToRun Mill
Page 12 of 14 21011121314
    Nah plywood is for making boats - well, real old fashioned boats that is.

Gizmos should be made from clear plastic - it works well, is clean and pretty, and makes tons of lovely white snow when you machine it.

white snow

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLini View Post
    Nah plywood is for making boats - well, real old fashioned boats that is.
    Real old fashioned boats are meant to be patiently handcut out of cedar or redwood - or Fitzroya cupressoides in the deep, deep south At least I had a lot of fun observing and restoring one of those some years ago.

Gizmos should be made from clear plastic - it works well, is clean and pretty, and makes tons of lovely white snow when you machine it.
    Here is some substitute for lovely white snow, but I wouldn't dare a snort of it.

I enclosed some more pics of the process. Routed boards came out amazingly good, that was a carbide 60 degrees 0.2 mm tip engraver chinese bit. No de-burring needed at all excepted on the perimeter (1.5 mm straight four flute spiral cutter) and the big corner drill holes (3 mm drill).
    On the millimg_pcbs_06 images, the board at right was cut with Z = -0.2 mm and the second one at left was cut with depth = -0.1 mm.

Still too deep.
    I am using electrical contact detection to zero the Z axis on the the surface of the board. Haven't automated it since IMHO it is still not reliable enough.
    BTW this allows to check the flex of the gantry when we manually push on it, as expected it is between 5 and 15 microns for relatively light vertical pushes. I've done no special milling preparation of the cutting bed.

Anyway, I am delighted with the overall performance of the machine in this domain. I goofed up on the boards by not double checking everything and discovering too late that 2N2222 does not have the same pinout as PN2222A, so I ended up installing the transistors with legs spiraling like tresses That will go away in v. 1.1 of the boards if ever cut. Also, I should have given the Voronoi regions more play, but that's another story.

L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails milling_pcbs_01_detail.jpg   milling_pcbs_01.jpg   milling_pcbs_02.jpg   milling_pcbs_03.jpg  

milling_pcbs_05.jpg   milling_pcbs_06_detail.jpg   milling_pcbs_06.jpg   milling_pcbs_04.jpg  

Those are some nice looking PCBs!

It looks like you could use less cut depth and still cut all the way through.

Did you use a very short drill for drilling?

Those are some nice looking PCBs!

It looks like you could use less cut depth and still cut all the way through.
    Way too deep, indeed, even at -0.1 mm
    Next time I am going to try -0.05 mm, then maybe -0.03 mm as cutting depths
    Then maybe the whole place will feel less scratchy / itchy with ground glass powder.

Did you use a very short drill for drilling?
    Just "normal" CNC drill bits from eBay, most of them have a colored ring supposed to help set tool length, and the business end is about 10 to 15 mm long, not particularly short. None broken yet. The 0.9 mm one looks like carbide, the 3 mm one definitely is HSS.

I'd try milling short, then if it doesn't cut through then just re-run it a little deeper. You machine should have plenty of accuracy to re-run a job. Both those cuts look a lot deeper than -0.1mm!

The 10mm drills are not too bad, but long ones will tend to wander on starting and drill a little off location. Anyway, congrats!

I'd try milling short, then if it doesn't cut through then just re-run it a little deeper. You machine should have plenty of accuracy to re-run a job.
    It has: the code generated by pcb2gcode is bad enough to redraw some regions several times. No noticeable gouging after first pass.

Both those cuts look a lot deeper than -0.1mm!
    Don't they? Yet I set the zero to the copper surface with an electrical contact probing. I am quite tempted to put my binocular microscope back in service and have a closer look & measurements. Also, tooltip wear patterns might be of some interest.

The 10mm drills are not too bad, but long ones will tend to wander on starting and drill a little off location. Anyway, congrats!
    No signs of drill dance. Well, it aint a circuit for SMC sized stuff anyway ;-) Thx!

L.

need help whith 3040 cnc

hi guys just got 3040 cnc whith yoocnc controler need to no pin config for mach 3 i never got a copy of the manual whith it

Open up the controller. The pinnumbers are written on the printer port circuitboard. Good luck.

Bo Reimer

Smile 60400 and EMC2 instead of Mach III having a small problem.

Hello!

I recently purchased a Chinese made CNC 60400 mill/router/engraver! Here is the web page for the project of getting a CNC mill: CNC Router, Milling, Engraving | Mambohead

I am trying to get EMC2 working on it. It seems to run roughly or not at all. Here is a video: CNC router/mill Testing | Mambohead

The page with the video also shows my settings and the manual for my new machine.

I am wondering if there is anybody here using EMC2 instead of Mach III with one of these machines?

Thanks in advance!

Darcy

Hello!

I recently purchased a Chinese made CNC 60400 mill/router/engraver! Here is the web page for the project of getting a CNC mill: CNC Router, Milling, Engraving | Mambohead

I am trying to get EMC2 working on it. It seems to run roughly or not at all. Here is a video: CNC router/mill Testing | Mambohead

The page with the video also shows my settings and the manual for my new machine.

I am wondering if there is anybody here using EMC2 instead of Mach III with one of these machines?

Thanks in advance!

Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by generalsocial View Post
    Hello!

I had the same problem (rough movement) with my 3040 at the beginning, the problem was simple : i was using a Laptop to control the machine.

Which type of computer you use for your machine ?
    Also you have set the impulse duration to at least 10uS and 5uS (config > motor tuning) ?

NEVER use a laptop, you have only problems.

Dave

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using a desktop computer.

In the end, there was just a bad connection which I fixed.

It runs beautifully now.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyDave View Post
    I had the same problem (rough movement) with my 3040 at the beginning, the problem was simple : i was using a Laptop to control the machine.

Which type of computer you use for your machine ?
    Also you have set the impulse duration to at least 10uS and 5uS (config > motor tuning) ?

NEVER use a laptop, you have only problems.

Dave

Gcode and design programs

Do anyone knows with what free program I could design something and produce a gcode file to cut it to cnc?

3D on my 6040

A video of my 6040 cutting out a 3D form.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rwn8xU8hJ4&feature=player_detailpage"]YouTube - 3D Wood Carving 6040 CNC Engraver / Router[/nomedia]
    create g-code once, cut forever!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnytaaikop View Post
    A video of my 6040 cutting out a 3D form.

YouTube - 3D Wood Carving 6040 CNC Engraver / Router
    With what program did you design it? Is it free to download from a site?

Quote Originally Posted by sv1eps View Post
    With what program did you design it? Is it free to download from a site?
    got it from this website, free download:
    Human 3D models female free: People male anatomy female models

Question Question

Do you think the CNC 6040 ROUTER can handle cutting slots and drilling holes in .125 thick aluminum?

Does your have the water cooled spindle motor?
    VFD spindle ?

Thanks I am considering this machine to cut and engrave small aluminum panels.

KUI

Quote Originally Posted by KUI View Post
    Do you think the CNC 6040 ROUTER can handle cutting slots and drilling holes in .125 thick aluminum?

Does your have the water cooled spindle motor?
    VFD spindle ?

Thanks I am considering this machine to cut and engrave small aluminum panels.

KUI
    my 6040 does not have the vfd installed, but still cuts aluminium.

keep your depth per pass low and cool by means of compressed air.

they move only one direction :(

Hi,
    I just received my 60400, pretty the same as photos I see here. I downloaded various manuals and configured Mach3 the same as I found in manuals (they are pretty the same). Now I can move the motors by keyboard arrow keys, but only in one direction. I've worked two days trying various changes that came to my mind to get the bidirectional control on motors, but no success. If I change the Dir. Low Active, then I can more the motors in opposite direction, but always only one direction is controllable by keyboard.

Please help me out of the problem.

Thanks for the note.

Actually, it turned out to be a bad wire connection. Was easy to fix since discovered.

Here it is with the new dust skirt I am making: Dust Skirt for CNC | Mambohead

Page 12 of 14 21011121314