587,553 active members*
3,224 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 15 of 22 51314151617
    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    ihavenofish
    ive already figured it out.... you dont know what the heck you are talking about.

I guess you could not figure it out,so here we go again

Motor rated 750W Peak 1875W
    Motor rated 150V RMS stall current 20A
    Motor Coninuous Torque 2.9NM
    Motor Max Torque 7.2NM

Is this not clear enough were the 150V come's from
    motor rated at 750w at WHAT RPM? that number is useless information withour an rpm.

motor rated at 150v? 3 phase rms? thats 200-210v DC bus if im not mistaken, and means its going to be about 4000rpm based on the 48v performance. that gives you a little over 1200w assuming the torque was constant.

stall current of 20 amps... at 150v? thats 3KW power draw. thats one hell of an inefficient motor if that was true.

what part of "your numbers are nonsense" dont you understand.

The voltage the 750W motor will be running on from the new Drive is 150V the RPM 5,000

I never noticed what I had written that sentence like that,it does not make that much sence

But not much changes the motor rated voltage is 150V 750W RPM 5,000 to acheive the 5,000 plus RPM the Drive has to have 220v supply

Note the rated voltage is 150V
    Mactec54

But not much changes the motor rated voltage is 150V 750W RPM 5,000 to acheive the 5,000 plus RPM the Drive has to have 220v supply
    That makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

All this talk of the motors & drives makes me want 4 sets. Patients is not one of my strong suits.(chair)

motor coupling

can somebody point me to the coupling i will need to work b/w ballscrew end (including the picture) and dmm motor (with the key). picture is for x axis but y and z axis look the same.

my vendor provided me with the couplings but i have serious doubts that i can get it working with dmm motor shafts.

thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	end plate motor side ball screw.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	158029

Quote Originally Posted by azam1959 View Post
    can somebody point me to the coupling i will need to work b/w ballscrew end (including the picture) and dmm motor (with the key). picture is for x axis but y and z axis look the same.

my vendor provided me with the couplings but i have serious doubts that i can get it working with dmm motor shafts.

thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	end plate motor side ball screw.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	158029
    If the couplings are the same ones that George gave me you need to drill them to match the spindle shaft size of the dmm motors, you'll also need to file in a keyway. I also found the dmm motor shafts too long for the mounts i used and had to cut them down by a 1/2" or so.

azam1959

This is the norm when you have to fit couplings to motors, sometimes you can get the right size for the motor, but most of the time you have to bore them out, (Not Drill them out) & broach the key to suit

Do you have the rest of the coupling, you are not showing in the photo, there should be 2 more parts that you need to complete the coupling
    Mactec54

Yes, used the wrong term there, i brought them to my machine shop next door and asked them to make them fit

Thanks. Good information but I am exhausting my expertise here. Please understand that I am totally new and will ask few basic questions

1) Yes couplings are coming from George. Coupling have two parts. Aluminium part are the same but one of the coupling have smaller plastic piece. I guess Z axis will get the smaller plastic part, right?

2) Drilling the hole is easy. I think I can handle it.

3) As for filing, coupling has a slot which I think get tight with the screw, should I try to file that side. In this case I can use the bolt on the coupling to make sure that if slot fits on the key. If you can post a close up picture, it will really help me.

4) Please do not laugh, i never had to used the file before. How difficult it would be to file ~ 1/4x1/4 slot on the coupler?

5) what tool you used to cut the motor shaft?

6) i am sure i will mess up number of time. can i buy spare coupler from somewhere?

i can not imagine the progress i made so far on my build. hope i will pass this hurdle too but do need loooooot of help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0r View Post
    If the couplings are the same ones that George gave me you need to drill them to match the spindle shaft size of the dmm motors, you'll also need to file in a keyway. I also found the dmm motor shafts too long for the mounts i used and had to cut them down by a 1/2" or so.

4) Please do not laugh, i never had to used the file before. How difficult it would be to file ~ 1/4x1/4 slot on the coupler?

5) what tool you used to cut the motor shaft?
    A task such as this by hand would typically be in the final test given at the end of Master Machinist or Tool & Die Maker apprenticeship exam!!
    If you are not in that category:
    As mentioned, you require a Broach, this is not an article of jewelry! You also need a press in order to use the broach. (Google Broach key way).
    The shaft keyway would be milled out on a mill or a Lathe with a live tool post.
    http://homemetalshopclub.org/news/10/broaching.pdf
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al,

I am not in this category.

Let me sleep on this one. One of my friend here saw my post and offered to help by doing this for me. This is the last resort. If there are any more ideas on how I can tackle this myself, please enlighten me.

Are there any vendors specializing on couplers .... DMM motors are not that special and there should be something off the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    A task such as this by hand would typically be in the final test given at the end of Master Machinist or Tool Maker apprenticeship exam!!
    If you are not in that category:
    As mentioned, you require a Broach, this is not an article of jewelry! You also need a press in order to use the broach. (Google Broach key way).
    The shaft keyway would be milled out on a mill or a Lathe with a live tool post.
    http://homemetalshopclub.org/news/10/broaching.pdf
    Al.

Mectec54,

I also have a plastic part and aluminium part beside the part I am showing in the picture.

I did check out the broach machine and if this is the only way, I definitely need help. I simply cannot get broach machine :-)

Just wondering how other dmm customers handle this situation? In my case, this is coming as surprise, I thought my vendor will send me the coupler which will work with the motor. Learning ....

azam1959

This is the norm when you have to fit couplings to motors, sometimes you can get the right size for the motor, but most of the time you have to bore them out, (Not Drill them out) & broach the key to suit

Do you have the rest of the coupling, you are not showing in the photo, there should be 2 more parts that you need to complete the coupling

This is the approach I would take:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...ove_motor.html

I'm not convinced keyed shafts have any advantages for positional applications where backlash is an issue, the tolerances on keys aren't that tight.
    http://machinedesign.com/article/sor...nnections-1109

There is Zero backlash if the keyways & key are made correct
    Mactec54

Boring

Quote from azam...Are there any vendors specializing on couplers .... DMM motors are not that special and there should be something off the shelf.

I agree with azam.Boring is ,well boring.So is broaching.Another trip to the machine shop.Boring is not a job for a Dewalt cordless drill :violin:
    Larry
    L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

Are there any vendors specializing on couplers .... DMM motors are not that special and there should be something off the shelf.
    Send for the huge free catalogue from Misumi, it is worth it just as a reference source alone.
    The have keyless clamping couplers in different versions.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al and Larry,
    Thanks. In current situation, I am accepting my friends help on fixing coupler for me. I don't think I can pull this one myself.

I do have catalog from another company and it is like going in the candy shop. I simply need to know which t nut or screw or drill bit and it is delivered in two days. Guestimation is also allowed, if screw size is not correct, only penalty is loosing two days for another box to appear. I am enjoying this hobby and for me return on investment is pretty good. I will get Misumi catalog too.

Larry,
    I also have a bench drill which help me in last few weeks to drill 500+ holes in steel for attaching the reinforced members to the machine. Ah one thing more ... drill is from Makita but i do have couple of Dewalt tools and I did use them on the project.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Send for the huge free catalogue from Misumi, it is worth it just as a reference source alone.
    The have keyless clamping couplers in different versions.
    Al.

Dmm have the enclosure now,for the new drive, so I'm sure those that have been waiting for the new drive, should be able to get them now, I'm expecting my drives will here soon, & I will do lots of testing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Drive-1.jpg  
    Mactec54

mactec54,
    Do you have the price list ready?

Mactec,

Thanks for the update. Looks great. Are the specs. to be released soon for the new driver and motors?

Page 15 of 22 51314151617