588,487 active members*
5,245 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Diary of a FoamCutter building a jgro router table
Page 16 of 18 61415161718
    At dinner the other night with friends, the subject got around to CNC stuff. It wasn't long before they showed me a wooden ravioli press. They were wanting something bigger. These are cut from plastic.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidcousins/2780273044/

I've continue to have fun with this hobby. Yesterday and today, I shot some video of some 3D cuttings I did. Two clock faces of college logos.

I'm really enjoying my Joe's 4X4. It's an amazing machine.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PninpbNLNiM"]YouTube - CNC'd Clock Faces[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Glidergider View Post
    I've continue to have fun with this hobby. Yesterday and today, I shot some video of some 3D cuttings I did. Two clock faces of college logos.

I'm really enjoying my Joe's 4X4. It's an amazing machine.

YouTube - CNC'd Clock Faces
    Dave, thats really great. I can see I am going to have to build one of those. I love the speed it can move at. I really like my JGRO but I can see where I am headed..Ron BB

Ron,
    Please know that I increased the play back speed on many clips of that video. You know, CNC cutting can be pretty boring. So, speeding things up makes it a little more bearable.

I cut all the wood and plastic pieces of my 4x4 with my old JGRO.

By the way, I still have my old JGRO, sans, the electronics stuff. If anyone wants to buy it, let me know.

Nice work Dave, did you use Vcarve to develope the design? And where did you get the collet, I need one of thoes.

Thanks
    Hager

where did you get the logos from ??? btw very nice :rainfro:

Mr. Chips,
    Yes, I used Vectric's newest program, Aspire. I really do enjoy it. The logos come from jpeg photos. Aspire can trace it for me and extrude the traces into rounded shapes. The program gives me the feeling of being a sculptor rather then a draftsman. Its fun.

The collet can be purchased from http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/sleeve-adaptor14to18.aspx They charge $9, so I bought 2.

Or you can buy a $3 version that's pressed on your bit from http://www.precisebits.com/
    You can only purchase one of these pressed on babies when buying one of their 1/8 bits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NCSU Logo 2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Glidergider View Post
    Mr. Chips,
    Yes, I used Vectric's newest program, Aspire. I really do enjoy it. The logos come from jpeg photos. Aspire can trace it for me and extrude the traces into rounded shapes. The program gives me the feeling of being a sculptor rather then a draftsman. Its fun.

The collet can be purchased from http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/sleeve-adaptor14to18.aspx They charge $9, so I bought 2.

Or you can buy a $3 version that's pressed on your bit from http://www.precisebits.com/
    You can only purchase one of these pressed on babies when buying one of their 1/8 bits.

Thanks Dave,

In post 293 you are cutting some plastic, is that a 1/8" bit you are cutting with?

It is really flying, do you recall your cutting speed and pass depth?

Thanks
    Hager

Hager,
    The bit is .125 diameter flat bottom. The cutting speed is about 50-70 inches per minute. Any faster on this bit, and I can see bit bending. Depth per pass is .125.

Mr Chips - If you're looking for an adapter to put 1/8" bits into a 1/4" collet, I got mine from MLCS woodworking. They're $4 and free shipping. Go to www.mlcswoodworking.com and search for item #271.

edo,
    Thanks for the tip. I bought my first collet adapter from them about a year ago. It broke so I had to buy a second one. I went back, but it disappeared from their website. I guess you have to search for it by the item number 271.

Quote Originally Posted by edo View Post
    Mr Chips - If you're looking for an adapter to put 1/8" bits into a 1/4" collet, I got mine from MLCS woodworking. They're $4 and free shipping. Go to www.mlcswoodworking.com and search for item #271.
    Thanks for the information

I ordered a 1/8" and 3/16" collet.

Hager

Lately, I've got a bug to make a wooden clock. I started last year making Gary's clock, but it was too complex for me. This time I'm cutting the Brian Law's Clock1. I use Vectric's Aspire, but this clock can be cut using VcarvePro, and Cut2D. A very simple design. Dxf files are available here on the zone, and complete plans are freely down loadable from Laws website.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3770.JPG  

Wow Dave.. great job.. This is most challenging assignment.. hope you will get it done and write the difficulties and solution of the entire build.. Thanks for sharing with us your hardwork

Nice work Glidergider !

I want to build a clock too for my girlfriend (christmas present).

Which wood are you using ? I have problem finding nice wood here were i live.

Greets
    David

Cool clocks, but I could never find the time to start one.

Jason

Khalid, The clock work has slowed down due to some other projects. My mistakes so far building the clock was not getting the center hole bored perpendicular to the face. When I installed the gears to the rods, many of the gears have a distinct wobble to them. I have some solutions to the problem, but so far I haven't returned to the task of building.

Flydave, I'm using Baltic Birch Plywood. I bought it online from a RC wood supply house. Then my friend found some more high quality plywood at a specialty woods supplier in Tennessee. Regarding the gift for your girlfriend, good luck. Consider a big box of chocolates and keep the clock for yourself. Someone wrote that the clock can take a week to build and another month to get it keeping accurate time. I'm thinking it might be too tedious for a gift for a girlfriend.

hmmm.. Thanks for explanation...I hope u will cover up the problems and post updation on clock..
    Thanks

Well, I've been distracted, and hope to return to the wooden clock soon. But more recently, my daughter's birthday prompted me to finish a Vectric Carving project. It was on of my first real 3D modeling projects I've attempted and it turned out beautifully. My daughter was thrilled to have it. When I go visit her, I'd better see it proudly displayed. Hmmm I wonder. She's a great kid, glad she's off to college, but I still miss her.

Vectric's new Aspire is really great stuff. It's got all the functions of VcarvePro, so it will do all the 2.5D stuff, but it will also let you model in 3D to. Seriously, its' the only software I use now days. All my drawing and modeling is done inside Aspire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails allison and her clock.jpg   allison and her clock 2.jpg  

Hi! I was just wondering what do you do with your old software (VCarve Pro and Cut3D) now that you use Aspire?

Nice carving!

Page 16 of 18 61415161718