588,473 active members*
5,661 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > News Announcements > CastCNC - Aluminum Top Out kit for Joes 4x4 Hybrid
Page 2 of 3 123
    Looks great. One question though, since I dont know a whole lot about Joe's machine, is how far will the z-axis go to the table? Reason for asking is I see you using a long bit in the router?

cnctoolman.....In answer to your question about Joe's Z axis, its adjustable! You can set the router mount as low as you want on the Z slider plate, then set thr router where you want in the mount. So you can bang the table top with the router collet if you wanted! I've used 1/8" micro bits in mine without any problem. And I have my CastCNC #2 Z axis set up for 10" of travel which will drive router well below table height. See video:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDbhwsOu26o"]YouTube- Z axis 10 inch video.avi[/nomedia]

Reason for doing this modifacation of 6 ea. Vbearings instead of 4 ea. Vbearings is so I can install a rotory wrapper under table or below table height.

AL

Al....Thanks for the reply, and you have done what I had thoughts of in my head on how to go about it. Was curious to see how it would enter and exit the one set of bearings and if there would maybe be problems by doing so( jamming you could say).

That is a good thought cnctoolman, if the transition was in the working range going in and out of that top set of bearings might cause an issue. I think the way Al has his set up he will always be in all 6 when working flatwork on the table then relatively clear of the top set when working on his rotational axis.

Al's modification here is a showcase of the beauty of Joes design and how accommodating it is, for another example consider working footprint. With the R&P version size is completely up to the builder from 2' x 4' (any smaller and this would be way overkill) to 8' x 20' simply by buying longer extrusions and more racks and rails and wire.

Harry

If adjusted properly transition is smooth!

AL

CastCNC mill No.2 is nearing completion.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X axis second beam completed 006 resized.jpg   X axis second beam started 001 resized.jpg  

Very impressive work.

Thanks BR!!

AL

Some painting done of parts.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X axis parts painted 001 resized.jpg   X axis parts painted 002 resized.jpg  

CastCNC mill No.2 nears completion! Just a few minor things left.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XYZ complete 001 resized.jpg   XYZ complete 002 resized.jpg   XYZ complete 003 resized.jpg  

The completed machine looks great Al.

Need to post those photos of the router mount you cut in aluminum, the cut was absolutely stunning and really showcases how strong this machine really is.

Harry
    www.castcnc.com The aluminum casting kit for Joes 4 x 4 Hybrid

Yep, the mill did a great job on the alum!! Here's the pictures!

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hitachi M12VC Completed 001 resized.jpg   Hitachi M12VC Completed 002 resized.jpg   Hitachi M12VC Completed 003 resized.jpg   Hitachi M12VC Completed 004 resized.jpg  

Hitachi M12VC Completed 005 resized.jpg  

Here's a picture of the raw part just after cutting.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second Hitachi mount complete 001 resized.jpg   Second Hitachi mount complete 002 resized.jpg   Second Hitachi mount complete 003 resized.jpg   Second Hitachi mount complete 004 resized.jpg  

How deep per pass?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Depth per pass was set at .010" and at one point I did hit .020" using a single flute 1/4" carbide RotoZip bit from lowes!! I had broke my 2 fluke carbide awhile back and thats all I had to cut with beside's a 1/4" HSS mill bit, which is dull. The cut was made at 10 IPM, ramped down .010" at a time. gcode made in Aspire, HobbyPro driver board set to 1/4 step, Mach3 driver software, 425 oz. steppers and 4TPI acme rods.

AL

Got to say those pictures tell the tale Al, this machine is stout and more than capable.

Along with that is the flexibility to build any size you want from a small 24" x 36" to a monster 8' x 20' by simply buying the rail lengths you want the castcnc trucks to ride on.

Harry

Thanks Harry! I love this machine!!

Thought I would share this paint scheme I did for the R&P. It is of course Ironman and looks awesome.

Also, saw mention from Ahren of CncRouterParts.com that he is working on a new offering on his Pinion drives concerning a Nema 34 kit using 960 oz in motors. Test bench indications are off the chart maxing out Mach3 at 2700 IPM, note this is not using CastCNC but the implications are good for a plug and play industrial strength power kit to put on it.

Lastly, I have added eDrawings of the Y trucks and the X carriage to the website at www.castcnc.com on the gallery page. These should give folks a very good idea of exactly what this kit is all about. We should be getting build pictures soon to add to the site along with testimonials on how robust this system is.

Regards,

Harry

At 2700ipm, what is the resolution? Is he still using a 3:1 reduction?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    At 2700ipm, what is the resolution? Is he still using a 3:1 reduction?
    Sorry I dont know any details other than he said he is looking at adding the 960s as a Nema 34 option in his store. The results he posted were done on his test bench with weights I believe and sounded rather excited about the results.

From his site on the Nema 34 Pinion Drive page

Due to the higher torques of Nema 34 motors, this system features a 2:1 reduction instead of the 3:1 reduction on our Nema 23 system.
    Harry

Page 2 of 3 123