587,977 active members*
3,853 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Loading from floppy in to controler.
Page 2 of 2 12

Reformatt that floppy

I realize this is an old post, but I'm new here and I had this problem recently.
    A buddy came over one day and wrote a program with his FeatureMill software, which we have used before. No matter what we did we could not get the program to load, we were chasing any possibility, little oxxxx,
    big Oxxxx, rewriting and reloading, back and forth to the manual. After several hours we had to call it quits, the parts had to be made somewhere else. Later that evening I tried loading some old programs from some floppys I had around, they loaded just fine. I wrote a small sample program with my BobCad 17, same as the old programs. Would not load !!!
    So just for the hell of it, I reformatted my floppy, reloaded the sample program and sure enough it loaded just fine.
    I don't know why, but when this happened again, I reformatted the floppy, reloaded, and all was well.
    The End

Loading off of the Floppy is easy even with Featurecam which I use all the time. Make sure you use a Dos File name, 8.3 convention. Test.txt will work fine. The internal name has to conform to Fanuc convention, hence, Oxxxxx. The control will pick up the internal Oxxxxx name and use it in the Haas directory.

When you post code in FCam you have to change the name of the CNC file in the editor window prior to posting the code. If you don't do this you are screwed. Haas doesn't read windows filenames. You must manually change the Oxxxxx name prior to posting.

TM

Look at the disk from your computer...the file name is most likely not the "O" file name and it will have a file extenstion (most likely .NC)
    type in that DOS file name complete with the file extension and hit F3...Works a treat
    Jim

My 96 Haas seemed to give me a lot of trouble with disk read errors. I replaced the floppy drive in my computer and in the Haas with Sony floppy drives, and switched to Sony disks as well. The number of disk read error problems decreased dramatically.

FWIW, Windows introduces its own disk write errors on occasion, whenever a file is written to a floppy. This shows up in graphics mode on the Haas, as "multiple codes" error. You can check the file on your pc's hard drive (with a Hex editor) and it will be fine. Save the file to the floppy, and recheck it, it will have the error. You might seldom see this error if your filesize is small, but anything larger than 100k has a significant chance of having this error, in several places.

The nature of the error is this: a line of text on screen ends with invisible machine characters, a carriage return and a line feed character. In hexadecimal, these characters can be seached for, using the search string:
    0D 0A

What happens, is the windows disk write turns the 0A into a 0D, so to the Haas, the line ends with 0D 0D, which is missing the line feed character, and so the Haas does not insert the semicolon, which is the visible substitute for 0D 0A.

So, what I do, is save the file to the floppy. Then, start up my favourite freeware Hexeditor, and open the file from its floppy location. I then search and replace the file, searching for every instance of 0D 0D (which should never, ever occur in a text file), and replacing it with 0D 0A.

Save the file over top of itself on the floppy disk, if this error is detected and fixed. Then, take the disk to the Haas, and load in with confidence!
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Easy Peasy Floppy to Controller Pgm Loading Key Strokes:

Edit-F1-Left Arrow over to "I/O" menu-arrow down to "Disk Directory"-Write/Enter-arrow down to pgm-Write/Enter

Program naming tip: Name your program anything you want (my program.nc or whatever makes it easy for you to find on the floppy).....the first line in your program after the % will be Oxxxxx (example:O01001, O10000 etc.)

I went thru a lot of pain until someone showed me that little bit of info...lazza

Loading from floppy and overwriting existing programs

On older Haas machines when you load from a floppy it will overwrite an existing program with the same Onnnnn. With several people using the same machine we standardize that every load uses O00000 and is then renumbered on the machine. If someone does not renumber their program and it gets overwritten that is their fault not the person doing the load.

Newer Haas machines prompt you and don't automatically overwrite

Well one our 3 Haas Mills we dont use the O to load. If we number the program 1121.nc, the to load it is

list Prgm
    1121.nc
    F3

Haas Floppy

I didn't read ALL the replies so forgive me if this has already been said... The Haas controller looks at the first line inside the file for the file name. Look below... See the O95111.... Well, you can name the file Cat.cnc, Dog.ncd, Cow.txt.... The controller doesn't care. BUT...... make SURE the first line after the % is an "O", not zero... and that there are 5 digits after it. ... If not, the controller simply says... "Bad File Name". No matter what you name the file, the controller will bring it in as this number... I just spent about an hour learning this lesson a few days ago on a new Haas. Hope this helps! Jack. :cheers:

%
    O95111
    T1 M06
    ( TOOL: Spherical H0.5 C0.0625 D0.125 )

On my Haas controller it will happily load the file O4004
    but does auto insert a leading zero i.e O04004.

This difference may be how the controller is setup in the with in the CAD/CAM posting configuration.

Ken

050917-1123 EST USA

On older HAAS machines a 5 digit O-number will not load. On these you must use 4 digit O-numbers.

As Ken said on newer machines either a 4 digit or 5 digit O-number will load.

But there is a problem. If you load a program with a 4 digit number into a newer machine, then it is converted to a 5 digit number. Now save this program to a file. Load that new file to an old machine and it won't load. You must first edit the program and change the 5 digit number to a 4 digit number. Also a file comparison will fail because HAAS modified the program.

Between Fanuc and HAAS there are little problems relating to the printing and non-printing characters that preceed and follow the first %. One has to structure this area precisely to load on both machines. The details I do not remember at the moment.

Also note that a % within a comment is not ignored by HAAS, as it should be, but terminates loading. Anything should be allowed in a comment except the trailing ) and there are ways to solve this problem. One way is a double ) meaning treat as a comment ). Possibly a better way is a look-ahead method to balance parens.

Page 2 of 2 12