588,117 active members*
4,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Hybrid View

Ohmy005
    I'm curious to know how many months have you been running the same program over and over again. I've run the same program 8-14 hrs per day 5-6 days a week for about 14 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantail View Post
    Ohmy005
    I'm curious to know how many months have you been running the same program over and over again. I've run the same program 8-14 hrs per day 5-6 days a week for about 14 months.
    We have just finished a batch of parts that ran for five weeks at two eight hours shifts per day Monday to Friday (machine is loaded and unloaded by a robot ). Its now has over 732,000 tool changes without a stop.

Andrew.

Fantail,
    Do you have an update for a fix? I am having simular symptoms and was hoping to see what fixed your machine - if is ever was fixed??
    Just a good ol' boy, never meanin' no harm.
    Joe

Update

Ok a few things have happened since my last post.
    Due to on going Z motor alarms that started showing up, basically the encoder getting confused as to where the head should be in the Z, I was told it could be one of 3 things.
    1. Z drive motor encoder damaged due to overheating (because I was supposedly running the machine too fast.....hmmm factory settings are too fast??)- replace the drive motor.
    2. Z drive motor cables faulty - replace the cables.
    3. I think the last one was Z axis Controller card - replace the card.

Obviously #1 was the most expensive option and if the machine ran as it always has it would go again.

Well the Z axis motor was replaced to eliminate that from the list and then the machine was run for 1 day run with rapid at 100% then 50% to see what happened. The initial errors came back. Service rep came out and played with some settings and we ran it like that until 2 hrs before I was to get on a plane for vacation (19 Dec). That's when the Vector drive blew up. It was like the 4th of July .... 1st July for us Canadians.
    To cut a long story short the vector drive was replaced and a parameter changed to lower the speed of the Z axis rapid. (it was lowered from 100% to 30%).
    This only added 10 seconds to my cycle and I have not had one problem since then. (Been running for 6 weeks now). Just a huge bill for parts and installation.

So I would suggest getting a service guy to look at the machine settings in the parameter pages.
    I'll see if I can find the parameter that was changed. It seems odd that the machine won't run at the "factory" settings without going into alarm all the time. Really makes you wonder if they were checked before leaving the factory.
    Hope this helps.

Fantail

Fantail,
    Thanks for the update. My problem is almost resolved. It was the Vector Drive that has gone bad. I have it ordered and I will install it next week. My machine is vintage 1998, so I shouldn't complain about having to put some money into it. BTW, it isn't a "SS", but I did notice that it had some of the same symptoms and alarms. I will say that this forum stuff is a blessing to small shops who just can't afford to "Just get a technician to look at it". OTOH, Why can't anyone get anything warrantied, no matter how old the machine is, When the technician admits that the factory has something wrong from the start?? Cycle time is important, and can be the hump that broke the camels back. I don't know if I could settle for losing 10 second cycle time and a 70% loss, for rapid speed. I would be demanding that they come back and "Fix" what is wrong, or find me a machine that runs to its potential. LOL, Like that would happen. They? Find a machine? Really LOL!! Seriously, Don't sell yourself short. Who is paying for that 10 seconds times "X" cycles per day? Customers?? Oh well, Just my own opinion. Good luck and thanks for the update. Whew, I think I feel better now.
    Joe

"To cut a long story short the vector drive was replaced and a parameter changed to lower the speed of the Z axis rapid. (it was lowered from 100% to 30%).
    This only added 10 seconds to my cycle and I have not had one problem since then. (Been running for 6 weeks now). Just a huge bill for parts and installation. "

There is something else wrong if this was the fix. There is no way you should have to slow down the machine rapid to 30% from the factory settings

Guys,
    That is my thoughts exactly!! They need to make it right, unless Fantail is kosher with this?? It is however his call.
    Joe

Page 2 of 2 12