588,436 active members*
6,182 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Yes Don, that's the 2 step Sherline pulley modified by the vendor to fit the Taig Shaft
    Nicolas

That's a beauty of a machine and I think it's convinced me to go all aluminum for my new desktop build. I'll be watching this thread with interest. Thanks!

-Mike

The control end of the machine is taking shape. The 17” monitor can swivel 45 deg on either side and can also go down 6” from its current position.

The sliding drawer for the keyboard / mouse has enough space to keep machine parameters and small tools / endmills.

Underneath the drawer the computer is installed on the right side and on the left side the controls box will be installed.

The pushbuttons station will be installed on the left side of the monitor and at about 6”- 8” from the table top.

Next week I will be starting the wiring of the motors and all the controls plus I should be getting the Sherline VS motor for the Taig spindle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 15 Computer.JPG   15A Computer.JPG   15B Computer.JPG   15C Computer.JPG  

Nicolas

Here is an update of my build

The pushbuttons panel layout is complete and now includes the Sherline VS unit. The panel is temporary to get the machine going and eventually I will cut it out of 1/8” thick Aluminum and engrave the description of all buttons.

The Taig spindle is connected to the Sherline motor and looks fine. All the limits are installed and wired and now working on the final wiring for the steppers and the Sherline assembly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16E PushButtons Enclosure.JPG   17E Sherline Assembly.JPG   17G Sherline Assembly.JPG   17H Sherline Assembly.JPG  

18E Z Axis Limits.JPG  
    Nicolas

Here are the last pics of my build. The table top is 1/4" thick aluminum plate and I drilled / tapped on it about 80 holes for the holding clamps. I made the 4 clamps myself out of 1/8” thick steel plate because I don’t like to have any protruding screws above the material I cut.

The machine is working and I’m fine tuning the motors / limits now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20A Table Top.JPG   20C Table Top.JPG   20D Table Top.JPG   20E Table Top.JPG  

20F Table Top.JPG   20G Table Top.JPG  
    Nicolas

Looking awesome Nicolas! You must be pretty chuffed with your efforts!

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Looks great! Are you going to use some sort of a spoil board for profile and other "through" cuts?

Well Don I haven’t figured out yet what to do about the spoil board, all I know is that I need one to protect the end mills.

One option is to cover the top with a piece of 1/2" thick MDF or plywood and secure my pieces with flat head screws as needed. Or I can use 1/8” thick pressboard which I will cut to the size of the piece I will be working on and secure both with my 4 hold down clamps

Perhaps as I go along I may discover other ways, experience counts….
    Nicolas

There are lots of ways to incorporate a spoil board. What works for me is to attach a piece of 3/4" mdf to the bed of my machine. (Your clamps could do that.) I then either screw the workpiece directly to the mdf or use clamps to hold the workpiece from the back.

Here's a link to show how I hold the workpiece from the back of a piece of mdf: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ml#post1043015

Here's a photo to show how I screw the workpiece to the mdf:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 111029-1.jpg  

Thank you Don for the info, very interesting

I like your idea with the keyholes on the back of the workpiece and I will keep it in mind.

BTW the carving you did on the link is amazing.

Much appreciated
    Nicolas

Very nice build. Love the cable track......waiting for the videos.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Why not use a spacers for the heavier materials and a thin spoil board for the lighter stuff.

That's another good idea, thanks
    Nicolas

Here are some pics of the revised Y&A axes home switches plus the negative Z axis limit. I found that I needed an accurate way to micro adjust these limits and so this new simple design does an excellent job.

I also did today my 1st trial cut on MDF. The video is on the link below and I used an 1/8” single flute end mill with 25FPM feed rate, spindle at about 70% of its full range and a depth of cut of 1/32”. The square and circle shown turned out perfect

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMdUdS_k9bY]Aluminum CNC 1st Trial Cut.AVI - YouTube[/ame]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 18 Y Axis Home REVISED.JPG   18B A Axis Home REVISED.JPG   18E Z Axis Negative Limit REVISED.JPG  
    Nicolas

Love the design and clean look of the aluminum. How has the machine been performing for you since completed? Got any pics of more video to share of projects?
    Nice job, really good looking machine!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jkountz View Post
    Love the design and clean look of the aluminum. How has the machine been performing for you since completed? Got any pics of more video to share of projects?
    Nice job, really good looking machine!!
    I only have this video [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMdUdS_k9bY]Aluminum CNC 1st Trial Cut.AVI - YouTube[/ame]
    It is during the 1st trial cuts and so far I have square / level the machine and all looks very good. Have done some engraving too for testing and that looks good.

Sorry no more pics / video for now but soon. Working on my CAD program to finalize the control panel layout which I will cut in Aluminum and it will be my 1st cut in Aluminum
    Nicolas

Got some time today to work on my machine. Sorry about the old videos but I delete by mistake my YouTube account and all my videos are gone. Todays video is here 4th Trial Cut - YouTube

The results of the video are shown on the attached pics and I'm very happy with the results. The cut is a square 1.5"x1.5"x1/8" thick using a 1/16" center cut carbide end mill. First I cut a helix hole to help the lead in and then I cut the square in 4 passes. The resulting cut is excellent and what you see on the two corners is the left over from the two tabs I created in the program to hold the cut off piece in place.

Todays cut is the square at the right on the picture. Feed rate used is 10" and plunge rate is 6"

Next step is to cut the control panel cover the program of which is now done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4th Trial Cut1.JPG   4th Trial Cut2.JPG   4th Trial Cut3.JPG   4th Trial Cut4.JPG  

4th Trial Cut5.JPG   4th Trial Cut6.JPG  
    Nicolas

Page 2 of 2 12