588,655 active members*
5,825 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > 110v connection to power supplies
Page 2 of 2 12
    40fordcoupe

Yes small business/residental is 220/240 is single phase, or sometimes called split phase
    Mactec54

Since when does voltage have to do with how many phases there potentially are, I must be working at a fantasy job where my incoming power is 240 3ph

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    It's very difficult to wire these switching power supply wrong, L/N/G we sell & install hundreds of them

Were do you get your two phase from in CA ???
    You sell lots of power supplies yet say that a power supply rated for 120/220v should not be hooked to 220v because it causes problems. I made a joke about hooking up to two phase, but then really my house gets two phase from the electrical pole by the road does yours not?

Quote Originally Posted by xjdubber View Post
    I made a joke about hooking up to two phase, but then really my house gets two phase from the electrical pole by the road does yours not?
    Your electrical pole by the road, gives you single phase power,( Not two phase ) the same as every resident gets in NA

It's quite normal to have 3 phase power in business/manufacturing buildings, & some home work shops have it also but costs a lot to have it installed
    Mactec54

Hmm, if your house only gets one phase it must take a long time for you to cook a turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by xjdubber View Post
    Hmm, if your house only gets one phase it must take a long time for you to cook a turkey.
    Not at all I just insure that we have plenty of wood for the fireplace and enough candles to make it through the night. <smile>

There is a subtle difference between "1 phase" and "single phase".
    I have 240v single phase in my house!
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Re: 110v connection to power supplies

I was very happy coming across this thread and clarifying this for me. I'm in the US and in order to achieve 220/240 volts for hooking up some appliances and machines I always thought I was using 2 phases and was very confused when called a single phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    True, but in N.A. using 240v the L & N would translate to L1 & L2, in this case it does not matter which.
    Al.
    I hooked up many things this way and was always nervous hooking second line to Neutral...LOL, knowing a little sometimes is more dangerous than knowing nothing at all.

This brings me to my question and reason for search.

With the choice of wiring the power supply with 110 or 220 are there any advantages or disadvantages of the 2? I noticed in specs of my PS that it uses less amps it wired with 220v.

Thanks,
    Dan

Mainly a question of convenience, less current on 240v but the same wattage O.A.
    I have one coming in I will do some empirical testing on.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan911 View Post
    I was very happy coming across this thread and clarifying this for me. I'm in the US and in order to achieve 220/240 volts for hooking up some appliances and machines I always thought I was using 2 phases and was very confused when called a single phase.
    Dan
    Just an example, lets say you were supplied three separate pairs of conductors, each pair were from a completely different source and measured 240vac all 50Hz or 60Hz, no other ground or neutral supplied.
    The three sources were 1/ one phase from a 3ph transformer and the star connection, 2/ across two phases of a delta connected 3ph transformer, 3/ 240v from a N.A. C.T. single phase residential transformer.
    Any piece of test equipment used would identify all 3 pairs as single phase 240vac, which is essentially what they are. and any equipment hooked up to any of the pairs would see absolutely no difference and you would not be able to distinguish any difference whatsoever.
    Al.

Albert E.

Now I'm confused again...lol. Only kidding, and thank you for your explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Mainly a question of convenience, less current on 240v but the same wattage O.A.
    I have one coming in I will do some empirical testing on.
    Al.
    I think I should edit my first post from knowing a little to "knowing very little". I went out of my way to run a new three wire line and a new 2 pole breaker to panel. When specs read 220 volts used less amps I assumed I would be using less electric and would be better for PS. Now that I know it wouldn't make a difference I may hook it up with 110v and free up a slot in my electrical panel.

Thanks again
    Dan

Page 2 of 2 12