587,998 active members*
1,884 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123
    Nice 'Z'

Hmmm is it me, or that just sound a teeny bit creepy?

I spent a long time looking at the K2CNC Z's before I decided on buy over build, really nice looking units.

Just wondering if reality lives up to the pictures? ie: is it build like the proverbial brick sh** house?

Unhappy Does a DIY router drill and tap?

Im getting ready to build a CNC Router but my question is Is there a spindle that will support Drilling and Tapping? And is there is specific spindle I can use with a specific collet set? Please help me. Or any info would help me. THANKS!

Hey CNC3678 I know what you mean about the Ryobi pedestal drill I had the same problem with the out of round drill chuck. Also the quill was loose when
    I brought it down about 1 1/2" Too much slop to drill precisely. It's in the trash now I just ordered a Grizzly G0704 small mill/drill It's got to be better
    than what I had. Rich

Hey bboymanuel,

I'm not an expert, but you'll need a 'tapping head' to tap threads on a drill press or CNC router. They are very expensive as they have a gearbox/clutch that reverses out automatically. Just type 'tapping head' in youtube and there are plenty of examples.

Cheers, Richard

Quote Originally Posted by cnc3678 View Post
    Hi Chris,

good hear that your parts are starting the arrive. The wait can be a little frustrating eh - especially from China....
    The parts are from a guy i america
    Delivery was expensive but parts were still cheaper then if I bought them here
    He make CNC routers mostly out of wood, so I thought why not use the same metal parts e uses and replace the wood with metal to machine metal, time will tell

Build begins

Have started drilling holes and welding the main steel base. As expected the welding has warped parts of the frame despite my best efforts to keep it square. However I've drilled slightly oversize holes for the bolts/t-nuts that will hold the 80/20 extrusion against the top side rail supports, hence should be able to compensate at that point.

Steel base is getting heavy - around 200kg so far!!

Cheers,

Richard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo1.jpg   photo2.jpg   photo3.jpg   photo4.jpg  

photo5.jpg  

Update #1

The welded frame is now finished and primed/painted in a matt black. Both aluminium 80/20 supports are bolted on and the top 25mm rails mounted as shown.

I've checked the rails for alignment with a dial gauge and initially found that I'm out by about 50 thou along the full length - damn .

So I've got some work to do to shim this out first.

Richard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9712_small.jpg   IMG_9711_small.jpg  

Looking good.

Not so flash on the 50 thou though.. You couldn't make up a jig of some kind and mill it off the outside face of the alloy section then flip it could you? 8020 is probably pretty easy to mill, it's just 6061?

I would also look at driving the gantry from both sides for the x-axis.
    History has shown me that you get racking with the single drive screw down the middle.

Where about are you in melbourne?
    Keep up the posts

Things are still moving along

Hello all,

despite a few months passing, I have been tinkering away on this project. The gantry frame is now built and all the rails and X-Axis screw mounts drilled and tapped.

Next step is the central Y-Axis screw and the stepper motor mounts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo1.JPG   photo2.JPG   photo3.JPG   photo4.JPG  

photo5.JPG   photo6.JPG  

Hey cnc3678

Nice solid looking build you have going there.
    Are you planning to drive your Y axis with a single ball screw or a duel set up
    Will be following along to see how it all turns out.

Gully
    Striving for medeocrity..and achieving high scores!

G'day Gully,

I'm using a single 25mm ball screw down the centre of the table. Because I used four rails on this axis, there is minimal chance of racking.

Richard

Thanks Richard,
    Thought you might be going that way with the double rail set up.
    It will be a beast when you get it up and running.

Gully
    Striving for medeocrity..and achieving high scores!

Seems it is a nice cnc wood router, good work and go ahead.
    Amanda Cheung from OMNI, www.omni-cnc.com,
    [email protected], Skype: omni-cnc

Update #4

I've completed mounting the z-axis frame and finished off the ball screw mounting for both x & y axis. Motors are mounted ready for wiring.

Have also mounted some e-chains I picked up off e-bay and completed building an enclosure for the electronics. Just need to finalise where to mount everything so that I keep the wiring nice and neat.

Some pics attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo5.JPG   photo4.JPG   photo3.JPG   photo2.JPG  

photo1.JPG   photo7.JPG   photo6.JPG  

Looking good....

Update #5

I've finally completed the electronics enclosure over the XMAS holidays after having a break for 3 months or so. Like many others in this forum, you never actually stop your build activities, but tend to have periods where you lose a little motivation.

I also had a sparky install a 20A powerpoint in my shed and wired in a 20A plug via an outdoor switch to power everything.

Should definitely have some movement in the next month....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails enclosure3.jpg   enclosure_side.JPG   20A_powerpoint.JPG   20A_plug.JPG  

Steppers are now alive, but motors stalling when rapids exceed 1.5m per minute

Machine is now powered up and I've got movement on all three axes. However I'm disappointed with the rapids, particularly on the heavier Y-Axis. I can get 3m per minute on the X-Axis, but only 1.5m per minute on the Y-Axis before the motor stalls.

I've done lots of reading on the forums about running 425 oz-in motors from the Gecko G540 (driven at 48V) and there are hints that the inductance is a little high on these motors. Given that the gantry motion is ok without the motors connected, will a change to a 387 oz-in motor improve the rapids on this axis carrying the gantry?

Richard

Are you running Mach3?

Eric

Hi Eric,

yes I am running Mach3 and tuning the velocity and acceleration via the instructions provided.

Page 2 of 3 123