587,167 active members*
3,567 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    I have been practicing more with meshcam. This one I did from a solidworks model and I am much happier with the results. I have a 3D modeling background so I will probably go this route for these type of projects. I haven't tried to do the image plane thing in solidworks yet but it sounds like that is exactly what I am looking for.

Anyway, This is with a 1/16" ball .002 step over .008 DOC.
    I enebled the pencil finishing but it doesn't really look like it did it.
    I will have to play with that setting some more I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chaos_1.jpg   Chaos_2.jpg  

I think that is looking fantastic, nice work.

May I ask a few questions?

-How big is it?
    -How fast did you run the ballmill and was it HSS or Carb (2 flute or 4)?

I have Meshcam as well but I've barely touched it but it seems to be pretty slick, just wish there was a really good video tutorial on it explaining all the operations and what they do.

It's funny, every piece of CAD/CAM software has different names for everything....frustrating until you use a program for a while.

Thanks for sharing-
    Dave
    Dave->..

Quote Originally Posted by 5artist5 View Post
    How would I ensure that the Z is the same between the tools? I would like to try it though, maybe I will give it a try tonight.
    Search on eBay for Z Setter. These mechanical ones work quite well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Precision-Magnet...3A1%7C294%3A50

Absolutely, the members of this forum have helped me so much getting started with all of this that I would be glad to share what meager knowledge I have.

It’s about 7/8” square and it is about 1/8” deep. The mill was a 1/16” 2 flute HSS.
    I had the spindle at 4200 RPM and I varied the feed. I had it set to 4 to start with just incase I needed to hit the All Stop Button. After it did a few passes I upped it to 10 but backed off to 8.7. It seemed to be doing a nice job at that rate. I had the depth of cut at .008.

Yeah I hear you on the learning curve for the software. That has been a hurdle especially at first. Having to get my CAD to get along with the CAM and then getting Mach3 set up right, it is really learning 3 programs at once and then when things don’t work right it can be difficult to know where to look. I think I am now at a point where juggle them somewhat. I have been using bobcam for most of my CAM stuff. I bought an older version that came with training DVDs and that helped answer a lot of questions. I have been using that for a lot of my regular parts like brackets and things. And I have also been using the mach3 function where it records what you do and then using that to make my own g-code files more and more. That has been really helpful because it has given me a lot more understanding of what the code actually does.

But for some of this more artistic sculptural type stuff it seems like meshcam is working out well. It has taken me a little bit of time and trial and error to get predictable results form it, but I think I am starting to get the hang of it. I spent some time the night before last reading all the stuff in the help menu for it. Since there is no manual that’s really all we get. But it was helpful, especially one of the headings that was called quickstart or something like that. That walked through material location and some of the other settings I was having trouble with.

Anyway please feel free to ask me about any of the settings you are having trouble with, I would be glad to help!

You might want to try the MeshCAM forum if you have MeshCAM questions.
    http://www.grzsoftware.com/forum/
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by 5artist5 View Post
    Absolutely, the members of this forum have helped me so much getting started with all of this that I would be glad to share what meager knowledge I have.

Thanks -

Dave
    Dave->..

Page 2 of 2 12