588,199 active members*
5,026 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Cubify Design is Alibre with a new user interface.... weird thing is that just days ago, the page for Design showed Windows XP as a supported operating system. I had obtained the trial version, installed it, and worked the one actual tutorial from Cubify web page. Once I had the model drawn and extruded, I went to export the .stl file so I could load into ReplicatorG in preparation for printing.

Well, surprise, surprise, the export failed with some messages.

I sent a screen shot of the failure to Cubify support.

Their response?

"It looks like you are using Windows XP; can you confirm?

I talked to the software team, and there are compatibility issues with Windows XP and it was never fully tested to run on XP.

Design is currently only fully supported on Windows Vista, 7, and 8."

----------
    Meanwhile, Cubify Invent is yet another hack out of Alibre... gee, it saves to .stl just fine.

Curiosly, on 12/7/2013, I visited the Cubify 3d software page. It shows Invent prices at $39, Design price at $149.

I added them to shopping cart.

The shopping cart shows Invent $49, instead of $39, and Design at $199, instead of $149.

So I send an email to Cubify support, asking why the difference:
    --------------------------------
    Hi xxx

Honestly, I don't get it.

Cubify website shows these prices on software:

Main page prices (see attached image http://penguinscouts.com/Cubify/CubifyBoth.jpg)
    Cubify Invent $39 (see attached image http://penguinscouts.com/Cubify/CubifyInventPrice.jpg)
    Cubify Design $149 (see attached image http://penguinscouts.com/Cubify/CubifyDesignPrice.jpg)

I add these to the cart.

Now the cart shows Cubify Invent $49 and Cubify Design $199. (see
    attached image http://penguinscouts.com/Cubify/CartWRONG.jpg

Why is the shopping cart showing incorrect prices?

--------------

The answer I get on the 9th:

Hi-

Thanks for contacting us.

Our software has always been $49 for Invent and $199 for Design.

We had checked our website numerous times and saw no change over the last 3 days.

We are told there is no way for us to discount or give away this software.

--------------------------

So, I guess it's a wheel spin as to what the price you or anyone else will get on these products.

It's also a dice roll as to whether the product will run on XP, the most-used operating system, today (according to MS), at this time, or not.

Quote Originally Posted by voltsandbolts View Post
    With a Name like “Geomagic” you’d think they would have to lower the price… Do you remember when Alibre was looking for customers years ago and you could buy it for $99.
    Funny. Geomagic has been a heavy hitter with a hefty price for a long time:

Geomagic 3D software from 3D Systems

"alibre" was bought and rebranded. Most Alibre users SHOULD be excited about this. Maybe they will get some of the tech added to the product!

Quote Originally Posted by keith20mm View Post
    Meanwhile, Cubify Invent is yet another hack out of Alibre...
    So, I guess it's a wheel spin as to what the price you or anyone else will get on these products.

It's also a dice roll as to whether the product will run on XP, the most-used operating system, today (according to MS), at this time, or not.
    You seem to be using some sort of "get me a good deal" hackware to list your software prices? Also showing screen shots of tiger direct listings? Then speaking about "geomagics" response to your pricing inquiries? If you want to question the prices you've listed, you need to direct them to "tiger direct" and also "Penguin scouts" to find out how to purchase their listing for the listed price....

Hi Burrman,

First, penguinscouts.com is my own personal web server. I am using it here to host my screen shot images that I captured from my visit to cubify.com on the stated date. I do not sell anything on penguinscouts.com.

Secondly, I am not using any hackware to 'get a good price.' Neither have I edited the page information presented. You are writing completely out of school in your remark.

In fact, I purchased both the software packages at the prices of $49 for Invent and $199 for Design. The shown images were actually captures using plain old SHIFT-PRINTSCREEN and Compupic, a picture capture/save utility.

Thirdly, tigerdirect plays no role whatsoever in any of my experience with any purchase or price hunt for cubify products.

Lastly, cubify.com gifted me with their other package, Sculpt, along with my purchase of their 3d Sense scanner, due to the fact that cubify.com couldn't fulfill the orders in a timely manner, probably due to demand for the scanner.

My experience with cubify.com only irritates me due 1) to the non-ability to install my original Alibre CAD (from 2009) along with Cubify Design, on the same machine, 2) the lack of Windows XP support for Cubify Design (oh, I have a number of machines running Windows 7, and the products function on Windows 7), 3) the pricing difference noted on more than one occasion, the last of which I actually went to the trouble of screen capturing, 4) paucity of cubify.com tutorials explaining the new user interface controls, and 5) that cubify.com doesn't provide any user manual or guide for any of their three software products, Sculpt, Invent, nor Design.

Again, Cubify Design is a reduction of 3DSystems Geomagic Design, and Invent is a further reduction of Cubify Design.

The Cubify Design application, in fact, calls Windows using a feature that does not exist in Windows XP. If you like, I'll be more than glad to point that out to you.

Lastly, if you work the given Cubify Design tutorial provided on the cubify.com website, you'll find that it is incomplete, and the teeth on the cable clip cannot actually be formed using only the information provided in the tutorial video. (see the "how it works page for Cubify Design)

Curiosly, on 12/7/2013, I visited the Cubify 3d software page. It shows Invent prices at $39, Design price at $149.

Cubify Cube 3D Printer 3nd Generation Silver - Wifi, PC/Mac, Maximum Creation Size 5.5 x 5.5 x 5.5 at TigerDirect.com

I added them to shopping cart.

The shopping cart shows Invent $49, instead of $39, and Design at $199, instead of $149.

So I send an email to Cubify support, asking why the difference:
    Please note the link you provide as the "cubify software page where you "add to cart"........

This is in direct conflict with this statement here:

Thirdly, tigerdirect plays no role whatsoever in any of my experience with any purchase or price hunt for cubify products.
    It makes me wonder what your doing.

But that's ok. I don't really want to argue.

Hi BurrMan,

As I cursor over that specific 3d p rinter, a popup stating "Shopping link added by SkimWords" appears.

See this picture here, and look just below the C u b i f y 3 d words: http://penguinscouts.com/Cubify/ShoppingLink.jpg

If you copy/paste the actual URL text, and not any redirect, then you'll see what's up here.

My URLs point to my server. Redirect links are added by either site software or browser software.

My URLs are hard text with no embedded redirect.

No need to argue, you are being confused and deceived by ad software.

No need to argue, you are being confused and deceived by ad software.
    Ah, you are correct. My bad. I was confused as to what I was looking at in both instances. My apologies. Thanks for staying civil.
    Burr

Page 2 of 2 12