587,920 active members*
3,459 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 5 1234

Re: Compumill system 10 troubles

All leds on my servo card are off now, I'm running off my spare power supply. My z axis started working and I can now jog all axis in all directions. I am wondering if I need to go into set up and set travel limits and maybe that will fix the reference issue. I also checked the switches located on panel by z axis. All switches except coolant and spindle forward show feedback on the plc, I do have an led lit on the plc all the time it is "D16". Thanks Jared

On the z axis The top limit switch when depressed is kicking out servos, this is the overtravel switch? The next switch down when depressed is making D8 on plc light up. The next switch down in the Z is not giving me any readout on plc, I'm not sure if this is the early warning switch? I can see the byte changing on the pic display. On the x and y axis all other switches are giving me lights on plc.

Dukerc51

OK, Each of the 2 PLC I/O cards has an LED labeled D16. I think you mean the one on the bottom right which is the not Estop enable signal. This should be on at all times the PLC thinks it is operating correctly.

The spindle forward switch should go to PLC input 0 located at the top left corner. It is a momentary switch so push the switch and LED D16 (top left) should light.

The coolant switch is feed from PLC output A which is the third AC (Black) output module down from the middle of the right side (LED D11). This turns on when the spindle is on and supplies the coolant switch which is wired to the coil of the coolant pump 3 phase contactor (small one) in the flood position or in the mist position to the coil of the air solenoid valve (if fitted).

All this is on page two of the drawing.

Yes, most likely all your setup information needs to be checked, the soft travel limits will really screw things up if wrong. Watch your home position it will travel there at rapid speed. The CIM has instructions on setting these, of course you must use the correct numbers for your system.

John

Duckerc51

The +Z axis over travel is the top switch on the Z. It is wired into the E- Stop chain and will cause the servos to kick out if hit (openned).
    The +Z early warning is the next switch down from the top on the Z. It is wired OR (parallel) with the other early warning switches ( +Z, X, Y) and connected to input 8, LED ( on D8) left side.
    The -Z early warning is the next switch down. Same a +Z.
    The -Z over travel is the bottom switch. Same as + Z.

For the E-Stop the PLC monitors if things are work properly via inputs E (spindle) and F (servos).

John

Thanks John,

D16 is on the bottom right hand side. I'm gonna spend some time studying drawings to get familiar. Good to know this light isn't a problem. I might try using a label maker to start labeling the plc as I go along. I have to look through my books on setting the travel limits. I did it when I first got machine just trying to remember how I went about it. The pages are missing in one manual but I might have them in another. I'm wondering if these numbers would mess with the referencing? The machine travels slowly to the first switch then stalls. I will start looking into the spindle switch as well. I'm wondering if it just doesn't work til z is referenced. Thanks for all the info I am finally getting somewhere!

Dukerc51

The spindle should run regardless of whether the machine is referenced or not. This sounds like a wiring issue. Should be easy to check out because there is no interlock for the spindle switches. Use your VOM. Check the wire color at the PLC and then find the wire on the switch. Make sure the switch has not come loose from the actuator.

The soft limits can cause trouble with machine referencing if the table needs to travel outside the limit to reference..

That is exactly how the machine should reference, travel slow until the early warning switch trips for that axis.

John

[QUOTE=islander261;1763788]Dukerc51

The spindle should run regardless of whether the machine is referenced or not. This sounds like a wiring issue. Should be easy to check out because there is no interlock for the spindle switches. Use your VOM. Check the wire color at the PLC and then find the wire on the switch. Make sure the switch has not come loose from the actuator.

The soft limits can cause trouble with machine referencing if the table needs to travel outside the limit to reference..

That is exactly how the machine should reference, travel slow until the early warning switch trips for that axis.

John

Ok I will check out the spindle issue, I wasn't sure how to arrive at the numbers for the travel limits, I will read my manual and try to jog my memory. I'll keep plugging away one issue at a time. Thanks Jared

Didn't have a chance to work on mill today. Working with Parts and Smarts on getting my power supply fixed. They have been really great to deal with. I'm hoping setting travel limits will solve reference issures. I also re read your post about the limit switches. My machine on the z axis has three switches on top and two on bottom. All the other axis have three switches and seem to work correctly. The third switch down from the top on my z axis doesn't register on the plc. I can see the bits change on the pic display though. Thanks Jared

OK, had a little time this morning. I had a loose wire on my spindle forward switch. I fixed that and now I get a signal on the plc, led D16 lights up when I press switch. The spindle still doesn't fire up. I'm chasing the circuit from the plc, gotta look at drawings tonite. I also made some headway on the axis. The x and y will reference, the z still doesn't. I'm trying to determine the function of the limit switch on the z right below the early warning switch.

Dukerc51

Post a photo of the switch in question location.

You can always manually move Z axis and monitor PLC for state changes and record bits that change.

John

Quote Originally Posted by islander261 View Post
    Dukerc51

Post a photo of the switch in question location.

You can always manually move Z axis and monitor PLC for state changes and record bits that change.

John
    John last night I actually got Z referencing. I was watching the bytes change in the pic display and realized the early warning switch wasn't getting actuated til after hitting the reference switch, I think you were hinting to that in a previous post. I adjusted the early warning switch down a little bit and machine now references. I also lowered the z overtravel switch because the ballscrew bottomed out at pretty much same time the switch would cut servos. I figured a little earlier wouldn't hurt? I am still running off my spare power supply. Can't run a program but I did get the rs232 port working. I still need to figure out why the spindle won't fire up. It will turn on if you manually move coil and I can see the coolant signal you were talking about on plc. I'm hoping it's not a huge deal. My machine has never had the variable spindle speed motor hooked up. When I got it the motor was off and the guy said it didn't work.
    Thanks Jared

Dukerc51

Make sure the spindle overloads are reset. That is the grey (on mine) push button located on the overload just below one of the spindle contactors. Check that LEDs on PLC inputs 0 and 1 light when you push the start buttons on the spindle. If they don't then there is still a wiring issue with the control wiring. The LEDs on PLC outputs 8 and 9 should light now when you push the spindle start buttons on the spindle. If the LEDs light and the spindle doesn't run then check the output fuses. If LEDs light and fuses good then output module may be bad, very unlikely both bad. At this point it is a wiring or connection issue.

Attachment 293430

Spindle speed control motor. It is very likely that the spindle speed control motor did or does work. It took me 6 months of head scratching (I'm not a real machine operator) to figure out how to program correctly to make it work. The key is that the control has no idea about which gear range it is in at power up and the spindle speed needs to be commanded to near the mechanical setting or the routine will time or error out. It was a real head scratch-er to get all of the things in the right order and the right values. Once you get things initialized correctly then the spindle speed control and gear shifting will work. I had many problems including bad outputs on the MIO board to fix with mine. I will send startup codes if you want to try and get the spindle speed control working.

John

I am getting the led 1 and 2 to light by pressing spindle forward or reverse. I'm not getting any other leds on the plc when pushing these switches. ouldYou might be correct on the spindle controller working. The machine came with the motor off. I would be interested in getting it to work. I do know when I ran machine before the gear shift does work. Here is a pic of the leds that do light when pushing spindle forward and reverse. Thanks for the help!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 2.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	293432

I was trying to run a simple program but I couldn't get anything. Part of the problem is remembering how to do a simple MDI command. I haven't run this machine in a long time now so I forgot most of which I did know!! Our machines seem identical, is yours a shizouka as well?

Dukerc51

Ok, the two outputs are the top two black ones on the right side of the photo. They are labelled 8 Out and 9 Out. The LEDs are D9 and D10. The fuses are 4A fast blows.

Attachment 293440

I don't know how to do MDI in DynaPath conversational programming, the manual doesn't really have anything like that. What I do is open a blank program and then program one line (Event in DynaPath speak) and then single step it. Of course I reuse this line and edit it quite a bit when testing.

My machine is a Compumill 3000 with a DynaPath S10AMUE control with program #P3506 fitted to Shizouka ST-N iron. I don't have any books for the iron and only the CIM for the control.

John

OK, I guess I need to find out why the signal isn't getting to the output side of plc. I'll do some digging around later today. Hopefully it's simple and not in the board!! Thanks

Dukerc51

Post a photo of the spindle speed control card with the system powered up just after you press either of the spindle start switches. A photo of the PLC will also help. I need to see the LEDs on both boards. I will check my machine for correct operation examples.

Quick list.
    Machine not in Estop?
    Motion stop button not stuck?
    System control box on and not in fault condition?
    Does spindle brake work? Check output 4 if you can't hear it (may require air on).
    Are axis drives working and on?

I think your PLC is OK. These are about the simplest old single bit serial PLCs you can get (one little 16 pin chip for the brains) an since the PLC OK output ( Out F) is on like it should be things should be OK.

Do you have any of the control box wiring or sequence lists? I want a copy if you do. It will be nice to know where and how the power supplies and reference switches are connected.

John

John

pics coming soon!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spindle forward.jpg 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	293462 Spindle Forward

Name:	spindle reverse.jpg 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	293464 Spindle Reverse

brake isn't working
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails reverse.JPG  

The leds on speed board don't change at all when switches are pressed. I am still using the spare power supply so I am not sure how much this plays in. Just trying to do as much as I can until it gets back.

Name:	speed board.JPG 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	293466

Page 2 of 5 1234