588,201 active members*
4,957 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    I have a series 1 Boss, I am having problem with Y axis, X & Z are moving ok under "setup" but not Y, the Y sounds as if it were trying to move, vibrating, there is a connection box next to the Y motor with 2 position switch, one position disconects the motor, ie when u press jog nothing happens, the other position energises the motor, ie it vibrates but does not move, looking at tec drawings this connection box seems to be something to do with a "Rotary Table", I have just obtained this machine, after being laid up for about 3 yrs in warehouse (the machine) it is one owner from new & in excellent condition ,I have tried swapping drive boards & inverting ACC board as suggested in manuels, no help, checked cable conection back to SMD board, any one with suggestions
    Sean

just above the SMD boards are 3 black aluminum pieces that each hold 4 2N6547 transistors. On the Y axis you have a shorted transistor. Most common reason for your dilemma. But I would also check the voltages at the DC drive fuses (12, 13 14). Make sure the Y is not lower than the others as this would mean a open leg on the bridge rectifier.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by machintek View Post
    just above the SMD boards are 3 black aluminum pieces that each hold 4 2N6547 transistors. On the Y axis you have a shorted transistor. Most common reason for your dilemma. But I would also check the voltages at the DC drive fuses (12, 13 14). Make sure the Y is not lower than the others as this would mean a open leg on the bridge rectifier.

George
    Thank u george, yes that checks out, doing an ohms check with my meter between common point 81 (collecters) and the other base connecters, 101 etc, I have a short both ways on one, others show 5K approx each way, the 3 black aluminium show a lot of soldering, indicating past problems, surely there must be a compact or sealed module on the market that could replace rhese??, I expect these 2N6547 are difficult to get & expensive
    sean

I don't know what your existing part looks like, but it looks Newark and Digikey sell a T03 package for about $6

Does this look like the right product? 2N6547 - BIPOLAR TRANSISTOR, NPN, 400V

STMICROELECTRONICS|2N6547|BIPOLAR TRANSISTOR, NPN, 400V | Newark.com
    Bridgeport Interact 1 Mk2 Heidenhain TNC 155b

I recently sourced some 2N6678 npn drive transistors, as there were several in my BP S1cnc already. They seem to last as long as anything else I'd tried. As long as they meet the 15 amp 400v spec I guess it's apples to apples, though the NTE53 seems to be junk, and the mounting holes are too small. At any rate, check out ebay seller barbersurplus714, great price on em, I'm probably gonna snag some more since they keep frying on me, which I'm certain is caused by a deeper rooted problem with the machine, but until I figure that one out, I'm only out 15 minutes and $3 each time it happens.

PSW

Hello I am confused about so much types on CNC BP machines so I have seen some machines called Textron and other eZetrack o something like this, this machines uses someting similar like DOS operative system

Bridgeport Series II Operators Manual,
    hey guys where i can find the manual for bridgeport series II, thanks

If you are frying (shorted) transistors.
    Set current to 8.0 amps. Never attach or remove a meter in circuit measuring current or fuse while drives are up.
    Make sure voltage coming out of T2 is no higher than 63VAC.
    SMS card helps.
    Do not hit Emergency stop while in rapid.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Series 1 Boss 5 partial retrofit

Well I've nearly completed my phasing out of the whole drive system, while temporarily retaining the Boss 5 controller, so the transistor issue is no more. I'll do a separate post about the project later, but what I've done is gut out the whole power enclosure, the heatsink door with all the drive components, and the power supplies. The only thing remaining is the control board chassis, regulated power supply for it, and the operator panels. New drives and power supply are from Automation Direct, successfully running the original steppers. These drives accept quadrature input signals from the XDI board. So far I can get 180 IPM rapids, so the 120 out of the BOSS is easy. Mach 3 changeover will probably come later on, for now the machine is operating reliably. More details when I get it all buttoned up.

PSW

Exclamation

I retrofitted a Series II Interact 2 Bridgeport with Linux and EMC2.

Bridgeport Series II Interact 2 CNC Mill

To say that I am happy would be a huge understatement!

I cannot possibly comment on the original control, however, because it was broken in my machine and I junked it right away.

The machine itself (Series II Interact 2) is a super, duper machine, built very honestly from the get go as a heavy duty CNC knee mill.

The only things missing in it, which I added, were an axis on the knee screw (I added a servo gearmotor), and spindle encoder for rigid tapping.

Additionally, I added a 4th axis to it, a Troyke rotary table with a resolver instead of encoder. I had to buy a special resolver to encoder converter board from Jon.

i

Page 2 of 2 12