I have the 4th axis unit for my Tormach 770 but I haven't used it in about four years. The last time I used it was to make some reamers but that was only cutting straight lines in the X-axis. I have a rifle re-barreling project that I'd like to use my 4th axis for cutting those spiral flutes but for the last few nights I've been unable to figure out how to set it up in SprutCam. I'm still using Version-7 of this CAM software so many of you guys have probably moved on to newer versions.

This request for guidance is mainly for those of you who still use this older version of SprutCam. I've watched several YouTube videos on the subject but being that I'm dyslexic when it comes to learning this kind of stuff I was hoping for some pointers from you more advanced Tormach/SprutCam machinists. If I were cutting barrel flutes in a straight line in the Z-axis I think I'd already have this project done but being that I decided to get a bit fancy with this re-barreling/re-chambering project, the spiral flutes have brought this particular project to a stand still.

The tutorial vids I alluded to all seem to be coming at this subject from a few different ways. Some of them use the engraving method, others use 2D or 3D contouring and still other show the use of 5D machining. My mistake may have been watching to many of these videos because right now I'm suffering from information overload. I'm not really sure which method to use. I'm thinking as long as I can get one method to work I don't really care which of these machining methods I use but, I'm looking for maximum simplicity. I don't know if that's even possible.

The barrel in question isn't tapered. It's just a seventeen inch long straight 1.062" diameter bull barrel. The reason I'm asking here instead of the SprutCam Forum is because the folks that inquire there are usually no more knowledgeable than I am. I'm sure there are some pretty sharp SprutCam users here too so, here I am. A little help please. If I can't turn up some good info here I'll probably go ahead and post in the SprutCam page of this forum as well.

MetalShavings