587,646 active members*
3,049 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123

Hybrid View

Cool Re: My Experience with Centroid Acorn

Hackish,
    You will love it when you get done hooking it up. I have AC servos and it works flawlessly. I just love how it never does anything unexpectedly a very stable software load. They continue to make more changes for the router group, so the Acorn crowd is growing.
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by hackish View Post
    Just a little note to say that when I read this thread, I almost decided to not buy an acorn. I did go through most of the systems available, and most seemed to be home-built units with a questionable amount of experience or expertise on the part of the designers. After eliminating the toys from the list, the acorn was still a strong contender with this and a few other negative reviews the major point of concern. In my case, I already had servo motors, so it appeared to be well suited. I'll see what I think when the unit arrives this week...

Re: My Experience with Centroid Acorn

I’m very happy with my Acorn conversion. Centroid was very responsive to the questions I had on the forum. Ironically I’m buying a Novakon Torus Pro and will be converting it to Acorn when I get it. CNC12 is amazing. Stable, reliable, predictable, consistent. Acorn is excellent.

I too am happy that I took the plunge and ordered the Acorn. I can see now that it is superior in many ways to other solutions on the market.

Not happy at all with centroid.
    Before buying I ask some technical detail and after few emails, no more replays.
    Another important detail, very careful with your software needs !!!
    Many basic functions in other solution it is extra in centroid +$$.
    Read all small letters to don't cry later.
    Coly

Quote Originally Posted by ciufuliciboy View Post
    I wonder if you could give some examples? I haven't found anything that requires extra $$$ yet. It's very clear that their software has different levels (free, pro etc)

Quote Originally Posted by ciufuliciboy View Post
    Not happy at all with centroid.
    Before buying I ask some technical detail and after few emails, no more replays.
    Read all small letters to don't cry later.
    Coly
    You don't cite examples or your experience. You could have posted here or to the Centroid User forums to hear from others USING the hardware and software: Centroid Acorn CNC Controller - Centroid Community CNC Support Forum

Centroid Acorn and CNC 12 is more solid than Mach3. Hardware and software from the same manufacturer. The free software that comes with it is very functional. You need to determine your needs and whether or not you need to upgrade.

Besides, do the math, what does the Mach license cost, how much are you going to spend on hardware from another company, and then try to integrate it?
    Centroid is not new, they have been in the business for over 30 years and are actively improving the hardware and software.

That said, Mach and other software packages are fine for many folks, Centroid is just another choice for DIY and OEMs.
    My .02 FWIW.
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Marty_Escarcega View Post
    You don't cite examples or your experience. You could have posted here or to the Centroid User forums to hear from others USING the hardware and software: Centroid Acorn CNC Controller - Centroid Community CNC Support Forum

Centroid Acorn and CNC 12 is more solid than Mach3. Hardware and software from the same manufacturer. The free software that comes with it is very functional. You need to determine your needs and whether or not you need to upgrade.

Besides, do the math, what does the Mach license cost, how much are you going to spend on hardware from another company, and then try to integrate it?
    Centroid is not new, they have been in the business for over 30 years and are actively improving the hardware and software.

That said, Mach and other software packages are fine for many folks, Centroid is just another choice for DIY and OEMs.
    My .02 FWIW.
    Marty
    It is my short experience with centroid.
    After few questions about my servo connection to centroid , few blurred replays and silence from support.

I spent no more on my Centroid conversion than I would have spent on UCCNC. The free, forum based support has been all I needed. I like that the manufacturer offers paid support as an option.

The stability and feature set are without a comparison at the price point.

you guys a beating a dead horse they lost out UCCNC won
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by daniellyall View Post
    I wouldn't say that. Every product has its market share. Certainly choices to be made when it comes to controls. No problem with that!
    I say to each is own, all a matter of choice.

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by daniellyall View Post
    UCCNC is not even close to Centroid at this point, Centroid has been used in industrial CNC machines for many years
    Mactec54

UCCNC is ahead of Centroid Acorn in terms of ability of customisation and I could not say anything I'm missing from it for running my 2 machines.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    UCCNC is ahead of Centroid Acorn in terms of ability of customisation and I could not say anything I'm missing from it for running my 2 machines.
    For me uccnc is missing lathe and seems it will take years before it will have it, if it will ever have it.

Lähetetty minun B15 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Quote Originally Posted by Mstcnc View Post
    For me uccnc is missing lathe and seems it will take years before it will have it, if it will ever have it.
    I don't have a CNC lathe and not planning to have one so that does not bother me. I've a router and a plasma machine.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post

Ignorance at its best, I have UNCNC control, and long before you ever had it, and it is far from where it needs to be, for a main stream control, as a Hobby control it's just another machine control

It does not compare to the Eding control, which is just another cnc control, I could add many other cnc controls also as I test them all, but what's the point, you will have your uneducated opinion
    Mactec54

And Acorn is also just another control. It's nothing more nothing less. You can give your ignorant opinion based on your feelings without reasoning, but that will make no difference to me or to others.
    I'm using UCCNC for close to 2 years on 2 machines and it works very well. You can call it hobby or whatever will make no difference to me.

And I'm not testing UCCNC, but extensively using it on my machines which is a very big difference from what you doing.

My quote from late last week was for Mach3/ESS :/

Hail corporate mentality at work again. I can't believe this circlejerk continues.

you two are funny mactec54 and olfcnc
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 3 123