587,553 active members*
3,372 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    If you have a Cusader II you are replacing you could convert the SEM servos to rotary encoders if you want to go that route? That might be easier...The SEM's use a 5 mm stub shaft on the tach side of the servo....pull out the stub and put in a longer 5 mm drill rod and use USDigital encoders or some other brand. They are about 50.00 each for the encoders...make new end plates to mount the encoders and go that route.....

I had trouble with the original Galil servo drives and replaced all 3 with brand new AMC drives. The tach feedback goes to the drive so for now the tachometers are ok. Thanks for the info and hopefully I'll remember it if I do have tach or drive problems in the future. If the motors go bad I have a couple of new old stock brushless servos with resolvers, perhaps I could find a good deal on a drive on eBay or something.

Seems to be a common scenario. I was in the same position some time back. My Crusader controls were working, but had very limited programming facilities and I was extremely worried about the cost of replacement should anything terminal happen. Like RogerN, I decided to build my own control system which is now up and running on 5 machines (2 lathes & 3 Mills) and is producing work of a quality equal to, if not better, than the original systems.
    This is a PC based ‘closed-loop’ controller and is dedicated to DC servos (sorry no step & direction signals ) . Although my project is not a commercial venture it is available to anyone looking for a practical and cost effective alternative to the very popular stepper technology, and I would also be pleased offer assistance and encouragement to those who are developing their own designs.
    Most people are aware of the increased speed and power available from DC servo systems but it is their versatility that I find so impressive.
    mike potter

I've got a Crusader II on a Lagun knee mill that does not run as a cnc, but it does read and display the scales. The servos work when I press the reset button on the control, so I do have some good amps and motors to work with. I am thinking about replacing the Crusader II, so I like your idea about the servo card so can you give me the details on what you built and like so much? Did you keep the Anilam linear encoders? I like that level of feedback and would like to utilize them if I could.

Thanks,

Doug Danielson

Quote Originally Posted by wddanie View Post
    it does read and display the scales. The servos work when I press the reset button on the control, so I do have some good amps and motors to work

Hi Doug

The Linear scales and your Servo motors / Amps will connect to the L.M.S controller.
    As this is a D.I.Y solution it will require some knowledge of the C.N.C architecture in order to complete the interface. The encoder feedback and analogue command signals need to be intercepted and re-routed to the L.M.S interface board. This is usually achieved through the addition of a 50 way breakout box. I have included a picture of the L.M.S interface connected to a typical 50 way screw terminal board plus a PDF document of the pin-outs
    for the 50 way connector.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails L.M.S controller.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    mike potter

I have not heard of L.M.S. and did not google up anything on them. Can you give me a link?

Thanks,

Doug Danielson

Doug, I hope I haven’t misled you. I don't think L.M.S has enough significance to register on the 'Google' radar. I run a small engineering business called ‘Lynton Manufacturing Services’ (LMS) . The LMS controller is my personal project. The business doesn’t have it’s own web-site, but I have set up a site to record details of the CNC project. Although this site has not been actively promoted you are welcome to browse and will hopefully find some of the content informative.
    www.3Dmotioncontrol.co.uk (any feedback would be appreciated.)
    mike potter

Details of upgrade

Mike,

I'm very interesed in converting my Crusader M control to something that actually works. I know the sevos and linear scales are working and believe the problem is in the motion control board. How can I get detailed info on your proceedure and the purchase information? any help with this would be greatly appreciated! The machines I have now are ones I kept after selling my machining job shop 6 years ago. I am now working as a cnc programmer and really can't justify spending a lot of $$ on the project. This is now more of a hobby but I am hoping it will be a part of my retirement paln in a few years.
    Thanks for your help

Rick

Rick
    The web-site ‘www.3Dmotioncontrol.co.uk’ describes the general features of the system , but I can provide more detailed information if you give me a specific topic to target. You can also download the latest version of the software and the PDF manual from the site. The manual is only a draft version and does not detail all of the available functions but it does include sufficient information to enable you to create programs and examine how the system operates. The software when downloaded is in simulation mode and is free of charge. All other modes of operation require The Interface Board to be installed.

A fully tried and tested interface board including a software user licence costs £200.
    A circuit board and user licence for self-assembly costs £35.

The parts list is included at the back of the manual and a list of test points will be included with the board setup procedures but this is not yet published. As a price guide a complete set of components should cost about £60.

Rick you mentioned in your post that you are a CNC programmer. I would really appreciate your feedback here to see if this system is compatible with your program format. I know that it is compatible with BobCad because I use this software to check the toolpaths generated by the controller.
    mike potter

anilam m series

hi all
    i have also anilam series m cnc milling machines.
    please send me any one its rs 232 wiring diagram and pc to machine setting.
    mghul

Adding 4th axis to Anilam Crusader M?

I have a Supermax mill with a Anilam Crusader M 3 axis control system.
    I am a newbie and finally got the mill and controller all working great. I like the Crusader M with all it's features but would like to add a 4th axis to the mill/cotnroller. I also like the features and quality of the Anilam controller. I suspect that there is no conversion available to add the 4th axis to the M controller. What are the options to change out the controller with a used later model Anilam controller and keep all the servos, etc. I already have? I would also be interested in purchasing a complete used later model controller with the 4th axis servos, etc.
    [email protected]

I am looking for a Anilam 3300 Mk control system for parts. Any help would be appreciated. Please call Larry at 801 216 4576. Thank you

Page 2 of 2 12