588,206 active members*
4,419 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > stepper - weak with Gecko G202.. just me or is it ok?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: stepper - weak with Gecko G202.. just me or is it ok?

Not being disrespectful, but there's probably more incorrect info on the internet than correct info.

And a stepper will not produce an enormous amount of heat when stalled. A stepper is not like other electric motors.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by storm2313 View Post
    The third quote comes directly from this site on robotics. How to Build a Robot Tutorials - Society of Robots

Please remember to be respectful when posting. I mean no disrespect, but am posting what can be researched by anyone using Google.

[With all due respect, it seems that if you're in the business of selling and supporting stepper-based motion control systems, you have some obligation to get your facts straight. Anybody can post anything they want on the Internet, true or otherwise, so saying that Google can find it isn't exactly the gold standard.]

Please read it as it's directly stated towards stepper motors. The stepper motor may not burn up, but the driver will be producing an enormous amount of heat which can damage it. I'm sure you agree.

[I don't agree. I've stalled my share of stepper motors, but haven't burned up any by doing that. They might get a little warm, but no warmer than at rest, when they're actually exerting their maximum holding torque (which is different from stall torque.) ]

Why risk it??? I don't know what your honestly talking about as I never posted anything about "requiring torque".

[If you're going to quote these Internet sources, it would be nice if you at least read them first:

" Stall Torque: The torque a stepper motor requires when powered but held so that it does not rotate

Holding Torque:The torque a stepper motor requires when powered but not signalled to rotate"

Sorry, but this just doesn't make any sense. Maybe it was written by someone with limited English skills and thus excusable, but it's not something you want to refer others to. ]

Please refer to the link provided for the definition breakdown posted.
    [I'm not sure which "definition breakdown" you mean, but some of those definitions do seem to have broken down. However the site you referred to in your first post: Stepper Motor and Controller Primer - Phidgets Support is actually pretty good, with much better information than you seem to have found subsequently. I'd suggest you study it and adjust your misconceptions accordingly. This might get you started:

"Most motors have very little torque when they are operating at low speed or standstill. Since a stepper’s rotor is held in place by a magnetic field during each step, steppers have full torque at low speed or standstill, making them very useful for low speed rotation and actuation. Additionally, a stepper motor can remain in a fixed position for long periods of time with the rated current in the windings, whereas with DC motors, stalling and remaining in a fixed position for long periods of time will cause motor burnout."]
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Andrew your really not being respectful. I read the information from the link I posted. Although you may not have damaged your stepper from running it in a stalled condition doesn't mean it's a best practice as written here direct from Anaheim Automation Stepper Motors | Largest Online Offering of Stepper Motors, Drives, and Controllers

Attachment 230222

Possible driver damage is possible. I would demonstrate caution.

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, Storm, but if you post here you have to be prepared to have your assertions challenged, especially if they're not correct. When you tell us you " never posted anything about 'requiring torque'" you'll have to forgive me for re-quoting the passage where you did just that. I never said it was "best practice" to leave steppers in a stalled condition, but most people who know about this stuff agree it doesn't hurt them. There may be some drives that can't handle that, as the Anaheim site seems to indicate, but those sound like poorly-designed drives. Originally, I thought we were talking about damaging the motors, not the drives. But it won't hurt not to stall your steppers; you're certainly welcome to avoid it all you want.

If you are the sort of person who can't help feeling personally insulted when proven incorrect, please don't attribute that to other people's discourtesy. If you keep your erroneous opinions to yourself, nobody will challenge them. But if you air them in public, be prepared for contradiction. I've been proved wrong before myself, when I've posted things I thought were true and others set me straight. I'm always grateful when that happens (although there can be a momentary twinge of pain to my ego), since I've learned something and now can share correct information with other people instead of my former misconceptions.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Andrew,

I accept your apology. I simply provided snapshots of documented explanations of stepper motors definitions. The messenger shouldn't upset you. A snapshot doesn't mean I'm re-quoiting anything. I'm simply providing evidence of where it's reflected. You are entitled to run your systems anyway you choose. I look at who maybe reading these posts to learn something they haven't found information about before. If stalling your steppers could possibly hurt the driver running them then it should be prevented regardless of your opinion being that they sound like "poorly designed drives"

You explained you thought we were discussing motors, and not the drives.There's a very big point your missing.

What difference does it make if you could damage any components of your system if you allow it to happen?? I guess you feel that's more acceptable?
    I don't feel personally insulted, and I certainly don't feel my opinions are any more erroneous than yours. Typing things in a disrespectful context online reflects nothing more than immature name calling.

The Anaheim Automation site manufactuers steppers, and drives so I would honestly take that into consideration before possibly putting any components of your system at risk. Here's a link to read the information yourself so you can see for yourself what it does indicate Stepper Motors | Largest Online Offering of Stepper Motors, Drives, and Controllers.

Page 2 of 2 12