588,224 active members*
4,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Another Twin

Page 2 of 2 12
    There is (was?) a manufacturer of relatively small single cylinder modular motors that were designed to bolt together to produce multi-cylinder inline engines. I've been racking my brain trying to remember the company name. Somehow I'm stuck on the old Champion Hot Rod powerheads but I'm probably incorrect. I believe the ones I'm trying to remember were multiples of 125cc singles.
    DZASTR

Hi Eric,
    Have you investigated the use of double ended HT coils that are used in motorcycles, these are even used on V twins with no apparent side effects,
    I dont Know if you can get them to fire from a magneto though, they are available with different primary coil resistances that are used with battery, cdi, etc. Dyna are one such manufacturer. Good Luck
    Best Regards
    John

Eric,
    Will put this in for you to look at. I was also sent this and working on one similar. Since you seem to be the adventuras kind and making your own I am not sure if you have seen this. The coil can be winding a toroid or as I do rewind a cheap electronic fly swatter.
    The reason I mention this is because it is small and can be put in a box and sealed or what ever you want to do. I am making it for my conversions but also have a cute little little Pioneer that I want to make a boat for. They are easier to start and all that is required is around 4 cell 2100mah pack for running. I have a wrecked sholder so the easy starting to me is the answer.
    Just another look,
    John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cdi-a.jpg  

Getting ready to run it... If it runs, it will come all aprt again to make it pretty and water cooled....

E
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0653.jpg  
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

That would look nice with a cast inlet manifold! is it reed valves on the induction side? I ask as I have 2 almost identical engines and they are plain old piston ported 2T and I was figuring I'd have to go with 2 carbs? Nice fun project matey :beer:
    Keith

It's piston ported. The engine will get a nice cnc machined aluminium intake manifold if all goes well.

Eric

Hi Eric,

I missed this thread! did you get any further with this engine, did you get it running?

Happy new year.

Nick

I am too lazy all of a sudden to mount it to a board. I did try to start it by holding the engine and yanking the cord but with two compression cycles per rev it's work. It did pop and grunt but no sustained run. When I was tired I realized I hadn't put the flywheel back on yet. I suspect it may have run a burst with the flywheel on. When I need a break from my other twin again I will get back to this one. It's a good distraction.

Eric

Good idea, I tend to get bored when working on one thing for too long also.

I finally started machining something last night. I think I've got the lathe working to an acceptable standard although I'm not really happy!

I decided to make a very simple wobbler (oscillating steam engine) to get me back into the swing of things. I am just making this one up as I go along.

I haven't got anything worthy to show yet but when I do I will post up! I forgot how long it took, all I did in a couple of hours was make a piece of metal square and true in the milling machine!

Sounds a bit dangerous starting in your hand but I suppose there's no prop!

Page 2 of 2 12