588,166 active members*
4,153 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Chris,
    The changes you made seem to be doing the trick. I was able to do a home all repeatedly with no errors, thanks a bunch.
    I do still have one minor problem though. I am using the one button touch off mod and will get an error to the effect that it cannot jog when the probe is active. This happens when the probe is retracting from the touch plate. Touch off and zero offset works but rapid away will fail about as often as it is successful. It seems to be when the work piece is a bit flexible like thinner sheet steel when doing a plasma touch off. The material returns to normal shape when the z starts to retract and in doing so seems to hold the probe active long enough to trigger the error. Any suggestions? We're only talking about a few thousandths of deflection at most.
    Dan

pull up resistors

Quote Originally Posted by spokes View Post
    Right now the home is triggered by the switch going from off to on so I guess it is right on top of the home. Is there an offset setting in EMC2 that I missed? I will get details of the exact error message generated when homing later today.
    I have come across similar problems on other equipment, solved by pullup resistors.
    Inputs are often high impedance and prone to noise (electrical) by increasing the current in the circuit the impedance is lowered, hence less noise.
    Trevor B

I'm glad its working for you!
    I assume you are probing directly against the workpiece and using a conducting probe.
    hmm if your work piece is flexing when probing I would think maybe you need to probe slower.
    The axis doesn't stop fast enough hence flexing the metal. Why that screws thing up I'm not sure.
    maybe debounce the probe contact?
    one other thing to try is probe against a thicker flat plate. change the zero touch off to the thickness of the plate. i would use so clean aluminum and put a ground strap right on it.

Happy New Year
    Chris M

I'll start by slowing the touch probe speed. I'm using .250 polished steel for the touch pad so I think it is heavy enough. I might switch to aluminum if I have contact problems with the probe getting good contact on the steel.
    Thanks for the tips Chris, I'll see if any of them work.

Hello, im new to linuxcnc and like it so far except this debounce code in the custom hal file. Ive done everything I have read and seen and it gives me a error telling me the pin is missing. It will allow all the steps and load linuxcnc but once i add in the net debounce line no matter what i do it gives me error telling me my pin is missing

net debounce.0.11.in deb-max-home-x ect ect tells me deb-max-home-x missing and no matter what i do it stays the same. max-home-x ect ect. Is there something im missing?

Thanks

deb-max-home-x is a name you are picking so I believe it should go right after the "net". You can pick any name, it's what goes after that counts.

here is an example from my hal for probe debounce.
    the old probe lines were left in and commented out, so you can see how it is different with the debounce.
    Code:
    #added for probe debouncing
    loadrt debounce cfg=2
    setp debounce.0.delay 200
    addf debounce.0 base-thread
    #end of probe debouncing

#following 2 lines replaced with debounce probe lines below
    #net probe-in => motion.probe-input
    #net probe-in <= parport.0.pin-10-in

#added for probe debounce
    net debounce-probe-in debounce.0.0.in <= parport.0.pin-10-in
    net probe-in debounce.0.0.out => motion.probe-input
    #end of probe debounce

That is in my main .hal file. If you are adding to custom.hal you need to make sure you arent putting anything that is already in the main .hal file, to avoid confusion.

Thanks, now I load with no errors. but my limits don't work at all now. All pins are correct. I can remove the debounce by # and linuxcnc detects signal from limits when i remove the # . Remove the # from debounce code add it back to the regular and limits just don't work. Any ideas?

post your hal file so I can see it.
    if its not too long just copy and paste here.

You have to add the pins to the axis config in the hal file. Here is what I have for mine
    net min-home-x => axis.0.home-sw-in
    net min-home-x => axis.0.pos-lim-sw-in

thanks. I got the debounce and switches to work. I had to add to the axis line. Now im trying to solve my last problem I keep getting the rtapi error task 1 unexpected realtime delay. I tried the smi fix but still have the problem. Thanks

Fix electrical noise electrically. Do you have a 100n capacitor across the switch?
    Possibly at the switch, but maybe at the BOB end.
    Shields? Only have connected one end, generally.
    Don't share common wires for switches.
    Each switch has it's own pair of wires.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Thanks everyone. All is running well now. For my final wiring. I addded a solid state relay to work off a output to turn the router on and off. I have it wired and can control it from the software to turn it on and off. But when I supply power to the control box it turns on the router power until the computer turns on. So then I used pc +5v from a usb in hopes to keep power off the relay until i can load the software. Now it turns on and stays on until I load the software then it turns off and I can control normally from the software afterwards.

How can I keep power off from the output until I load the software and click the button? Thanks again

You can either use the charge pump to detect when the program is 'live' or include a normal hardwired start-up string that enables the power to the router, also works as an e-stop circuit., Preferably both, charge pump in the e-stop string.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Page 2 of 2 12