588,490 active members*
4,277 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Alibre Design Standard for $99
Page 2 of 3 123
    Tjones;
    I must apologize to you and all of those that have read this thread for the bad information I presented above. The root cause of my home installation problems was plain old stupidity on my part. On my home system, Alibre was stopping the installation process citing that alibre was already installed. I thought (in my ignorance) that it was referencing the installation on my work machine. Not so!!! It was trying to tell me that a previous version was already installed on my home machine. And it was right!!!!! I had originally received a copy of the software as one of the first to download it and I had forgotten about it. I deleted the previous version and now have Alibre installed on my home machine as well. Thanks for all the help and have a good day.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

I purchased Alibre standard last night and am very happy with it so far. For $99.00 it's the deal of the century. Thanks Alibre for making real CAD software available to hobbyists like me!

-Jim

Alibre CAM & support

After having the $99 + maintenance product for a week, I will have to say I am really disappointing with CAM and support. The CAM product asks for license codes, which when I applied for I was told by Mechsoft I didn't need them for the express product. When I ask them how to get rid of the prompt to get license code and output gcode they told me to contact alibre. I contacted alibre and was told to follow the same procedures I had done 3 days ago. Basically its a finger pointing match as to who is supposed to support the product. Anyhow, I give up, I sure as hell wouldnt pay money for the CAM add-on seeing how they cant even get the express or demo product to work.

"Basically its a finger pointing match"

Yup, I've been through the same with McNeel and Mecsoft with Rhino/Rhinocam. Thankfully these companies were a bit more helpful.

I looked at Alibre a few years back and didn't think much of the high pressure sales tactics so went for Rhino. I looked at Alibre again today to check out the $99 deal and also read this thread. I think I'm going to stick with Rhino.

Quote Originally Posted by spincaster View Post
    "Basically its a finger pointing match"

Yup, I've been through the same with McNeel and Mecsoft with Rhino/Rhinocam. Thankfully these companies were a bit more helpful.

I looked at Alibre a few years back and didn't think much of the high pressure sales tactics so went for Rhino. I looked at Alibre again today to check out the $99 deal and also read this thread. I think I'm going to stick with Rhino.
    Wow, back and forth several times. All alibre can do is recommend I get codes from mechsoft, all they will do is tell me to contact alibre.

I have pretty much had it with this product and company.

The CAM alibre has is a version behind, and the stand alone visual mill product (which is what alibre cam is, but current) doesn't support alibre without scaling and unit conversions. Total junk. I have yet to get a part out of alibre to the mill, and it costs me $400.

Everyone - beware - even if the modeling is what you are going for, the support from both alibre and mechsoft is horrible. Look somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by spiked3 View Post
    After having the $99 + maintenance product for a week, I will have to say I am really disappointing with CAM and support..
    Isn't the CAM package just a demo? Nothing on Alibre's sight mentions getting a CAM package included for $99.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Isn't the CAM package just a demo? Nothing on Alibre's sight mentions getting a CAM package included for $99.
    Thats how I understood it! If you demo Alibre and want the CAM demo also I don't think the $99 'Xpress will work as its v9.0 whatever and the CAM download is V10 whatever. So unless you can find an older version CAM that will be compatible with V9 disappointment may ensue!
    Or i'm completely base over apex and should shut up now

Quote Originally Posted by kawazuki View Post
    Thats how I understood it! If you demo Alibre and want the CAM demo also I don't think the $99 'Xpress will work as its v9.0 whatever and the CAM download is V10 whatever. So unless you can find an older version CAM that will be compatible with V9 disappointment may ensue!
    Or i'm completely base over apex and should shut up now
    Well that may be the case - at this point its hard to tell. Originally CAM 'light' was included only with design expert, then later offered to everyone. I assume the $99 design standard is the same as the previously priced $1000 design standard, and as such, CAM express should run. But I never could get anything beyond parallel facing to show up as a MOP, and never could post any gcode. And I constantly get an error dialog saying 'running in demo mode' as well as not being able to save even a parallel mop as I should be able to do with cam express. That tells me something in the licensing scheme is wacky. I also have seen other posts (here or on Mechsofts site, cant remember which) with the same problems, and no solutions.
    What really ticked me though was alibre support, their suggestion was to follow the instructions I had already followed 10 times. I come from a software development background, and was a manager for a lot of that time. That type of support lights a huge warning flare to me. It means no one really looked at or has an interest in solving the problem, just always reply with a pre-written response.
    Anyhow, someone in sales took interest, and is issuing a refund on support. So im done - lesson learned.

$99.00 or $158 and change?

I got to admit i'm seriously impressed with the abilities shown in the demo's and are way beyond my skill level but I may purchase just to learn at my own pace and never upgrade! But the thing that irks me right off is the USA cost is $99.00, UK cost £99.00! Thats $158 and change at current exchange! Its a download ferchristsake - why a different cost! Every price in $ is set = to £'s basically its a 50% mark up!(wedge) Grouch over(nuts)

I read somewhere else that guys in the UK are ordering from the US website for $99 US dollars.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I read somewhere else that guys in the UK are ordering from the US website for $99 US dollars.
    Hmmmm! - I feel a dollar CC purchase coming on.........:devious:

Checking Alibre web site I don't see th $99 offer any more.
    I think it has expired.

George

Quote Originally Posted by george4657 View Post
    Checking Alibre web site I don't see th $99 offer any more.
    I think it has expired.

George
    A big banner in the middle of the page says ONLY 17 DAYS LEFT.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Quote Originally Posted by bicycleboy View Post
    The "catch" is that the program is actually pretty good and you will get hooked on it and start paying the maintenance every year! In four years you will have paid the $999.
    LOL, you also get Tech Support and the Latest Version. $999 for 4 years is worth it if you want to stay updated.

BTW: a note to anyone that uses a CAM Software.

You can use the Direct Editing Feature to Suppress Holes, Fillets, Pockets, ect. to Rough machine your parts.

Oh, this is for Version Professional and up.:cheers:
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

A big banner in the middle of the page says ONLY 17 DAYS LEFT.
    Yes, only because V12 is around the corner in a few weeks.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Thanks Gerry

I have dial-up and that banner is so slow to load I had moved on to the purchase page which still shows $999 before it appeared.
    Have to go my Son's house and download file to look at it then not procrastinate for more than 17 days.

George

Quote Originally Posted by george4657 View Post
    Thanks Gerry

I have dial-up and that banner is so slow to load I had moved on to the purchase page which still shows $999 before it appeared.
    Have to go my Son's house and download file to look at it then not procrastinate for more than 17 days.

George
    You might want to try a local Starbucks
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Are there any affordable cam options that can take the default files from this program?

The 99 bucks seems to be quite the deal, but I can't the get file to the mill/lathe. It won't to me much good.

13 Days left, so can someone fill in the blanks.

Thanks

Affordable is relative to your POV.
    VisualMill Pro is a bargain at $4000, does that make it affordable?
    Or do you have an actual dollar amount that makes it affordable.
    When running a business it is how quickly the software pays for itself in productivity that counts in my books.

You can get VisualMill basic for $1000.

By what I read on the Alibre site, Alibre design standard includes Alibre CAM standard.
    For $999!!!! You can't get any more value than that for 3D CAD and CAM, that is ridiculously cheap.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    Affordable is relative to your POV.
    VisualMill Pro is a bargain at $4000, does that make it affordable?
    Or do you have an actual dollar amount that makes it affordable.
    When running a business it is how quickly the software pays for itself in productivity that counts in my books.

You can get VisualMill basic for $1000.

By what I read on the Alibre site, Alibre design standard includes Alibre CAM standard.
    For $999!!!! You can't get any more value than that for 3D CAD and CAM, that is ridiculously cheap.
    Yes, but it is relative. $4000 may be a bargain to a business that can recover the investment, but it is way out of the park for a home machinist who only has $3000 in their entire hardware collection. And the fact is, just as when PCs became commodities, as more and more are able to learn/use CNC at home, the home market is more important than the business market. Ask Bill Gates, he recognized that fact.
    Whether or not Design standard does come with CAM is an open question at the moment. I know, it says it on the web site, but my recent personal experience is otherwise.

Page 2 of 3 123