588,436 active members*
6,299 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 12 1234

Paint

Thanks Joe .

It looks different in person. less aluminium like I am working on the bracing / shelf for the legs. I am bolting 2x4s around the outside with two braces in between the long run. I will screw down 1/2 plywood on top of that . This will make it little easier to anchor to wall if I decide to do that.
    Did you ever post picture of your new and improved work area ?

Quote Originally Posted by calgrdnr View Post
    Thanks Joe .

It looks different in person. less aluminium like I am working on the bracing / shelf for the legs. I am bolting 2x4s around the outside with two braces in between the long run. I will screw down 1/2 plywood on top of that . This will make it little easier to anchor to wall if I decide to do that.
    Did you ever post picture of your new and improved work area ?

I'de be curious to see as well..

Lower leg support

Well I got a shelf and support. It also added a bit of weight, should help stabilize it. if not I will achor to the wall as Joe stated he did. ( still havn't seen pictures of it yet )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails With Base 8 small.jpg   With Base 5 small.jpg  

Here ya go a down and dirty bracing, makes it rock solid.

Joe

ps. that is quantum running in background, not mach3 i like it for the ramp curve acceleration of the motors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails braced.JPG   braced1.JPG  

Looks good Joe,

Simple and effective. Now I have a question is that 3/8th all thread across the gantry ?

It's always nice seeing the father of our machines

I played with Quantum too, the only problem is that it seems like Art has moved this down the priority list for the moment and is not getting any of the updates that Mach 3 is, but I agree the ramp curve acceleration is nice especially for those who have higher ipm.

David

Looks good Joe,

Simple and effective. Now I have a question is that 3/8th all thread across the gantry ?

yes just waht i picked up in electrical department, 1/4 all thread will work. it is 14.5" from bottom of hantry, this allowed clearance for the ATC. you can make it up to 16" from bottom, but will start getting away from the center to help with any bowing, also look at the one in the bottom above bottom torsion bow added it also. one or two will work.

Thanks Joe, I remember now, it was listed in your "Tips/ Modifacations" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by joe2000che View Post
    ...1/4 all thread will work. it is 14.5" from bottom of hantry, this allowed clearance for the ATC. you can make it up to 16" from bottom, ....
    Say Joe, will the kits you are cutting now have these extra support holes, or will I need to drill them? If not, not a problem; I just need to remember to do it during assy.

Gary

yea they are a mod to the machine.

Joe

Talking Some Pictures

Hey Guys,
    Here is a little update, I am not getting it done as fast as most, but it will get done.I finally decided what to build the power supply in. I decided to take two PC cases and turn them on there sides ( didn't have any desktop cases laying around) The rack will get a 19 inch crt the two cases PC in on and controller / Power supply in the other.I am looking into UPS system that can handle all the power filtering and backup for those surges,power outages. I know I will get if I don't have it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PStop.jpg   PSbackside.jpg   Rack.jpg   RackAgain.jpg  

PS topside.jpg  

just take your time and most of all have fun

Smile Little more

I have also been installing acme screws and the motors, I have a question for you All. When you install the screws and motors should they be installed in the "Zero postion" for all axis?. I am including pictures of what I hope is a emulation of Jays soultion to whip. and a picture of my Z axis ( hmmm it is my problem child (nuts) ) I have a misalignment . When I put the Acme screw in it doesn't align with the other side of by 1/8th to 3/16th . I will take it apart and see if I can figure out the problem. Well guys if you see anything wrong please let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZMisalignment.jpg   JaysSolutionOnTheYaxis.jpg   JaysSolutionXaxis.jpg   TableWithAcmeScrews.jpg  

I am in no big hurry, I would like to see it move under its own power before end of the month (self imposed goal way back when I started) So I will give it a shot. I am sure I will have alot more fun working on it. I havn't had a cool project for along time. I am enjoying every minute that I get when I work on it .

When you fire it up let me know how the 4x4 legs work out. I'm finding it is a bit shaky with 2X4 and was thinking of switching them out on the first upgrade pass.
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

I have also been installing acme screws and the motors, I have a question for you All. When you install the screws and motors should they be installed in the "Zero postion" for all axis?. I am including pictures of what I hope is a emulation of Jays soultion to whip. and a picture of my Z axis ( hmmm it is my problem child (nuts) ) I have a misalignment . When I put the Acme screw in it doesn't align with the other side of by 1/8th to 3/16th . I will take it apart and see if I can figure out the problem. Well guys if you see anything wrong please let me know.
    My limited understanding is that the spring is supposed to stretch the screw a bit (or at least put it under tension) to minimize whip. How is that going to work with nuts on both sides of the spring?
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by sdantonio View Post
    My limited understanding is that the spring is supposed to stretch the screw a bit (or at least put it under tension) to minimize whip. How is that going to work with nuts on both sides of the spring?

That is correct what you need is a washer against the bearing, then the spring and finally the nuts to apply tension and compress the spring, then lock it down.

Joe

Smile

The legs are actually 2x4s glued together ( covered the seam with spackle ), As for the spring I don't really know how it works . I was thinking maybe it helps stop oscillation, there by helping stop the whip. I know Jay used similar setup and said it helped in one of his videos I believe. If it works great if not I can try something else.

thanks Joe I will put in the washer I was hoping someone would point out anything wrong. It is a dry/ test fit run at this time.

Red face Jays preload setup

Here is the correct way to do Jays preload as Joe stated
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=35

Page 2 of 12 1234