588,201 active members*
4,870 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Epoxy Granite > Epoxy-Granite machine bases (was Polymer concrete frame?)
Page 233 of 253 133183223231232233234235243
Results 4,641 to 4,660 of 5053
    tap, tap, tap,... this thing on?

Kinda quite in here lately...

Anyone looking to classify their own material to play with might want to check out the sale at Utopia Tools:

free shipping for orders over $50 (and receive a free Gecko stick mat).
    $25 off $100 order (code: IND12).

5 piece sieve set $49.49

9 piece sieve set $64.49

You'd need to add an item to get that 5 piece set to free shipping. They have lots of dremel (rotary tool) bits, wire brushes n stuff so it's really not that hard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xctmpJVoDCS.png   xctmpO1i0v7.png  

I know this thread has been running for years and i dont have time to read it all since my last visit but has anyone put carbon fibres into their bases yet unidirectionally?

http://www.nanotechsys.com/wp-conten...2004_01_10.pdf

heres an example

Quote Originally Posted by compositepro View Post
    I know this thread has been running for years and i dont have time to read it all since my last visit but has anyone put carbon fibres into their bases yet unidirectionally?

heres an example
    Why would anybody do such thing, not trying to harm you, just curiosity!

Was just wondering why your working in a similar way to making composite parts

Carbon will stiffen the structure, mould a shell fill it with rocks and local reinforcing fibres

Get rid of the vibrator and use a vacuum pump on the mould to degass (i know this works)all the fixings holes etc are already moulded in and replicated to microns

Where Iwork they do carbon gantrys for very large aerospace machining centres they move quicker and are stiffer thats all ,Its not a million miles away from where you guys are at

heres a link from one of the companies who does this kind of thing website

http://www.compotech.com/technology/damping_composite

http://www.compotech.com/example_app...ing_components thats a beutiful Z axis

Quote Originally Posted by leix_99 View Post
    Why would anybody do such thing, not trying to harm you, just curiosity!
    No worries man

Hi compositepro,

Fascinating link to that Company.
    Looks like they've reinvented wood, using carbon fibre instead of cellulose
    Very nice.

John
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.

Compositepro, really nasty looking parts! Grrrrr..

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Hi compositepro,

Fascinating link to that Company.
    Looks like they've reinvented wood, using carbon fibre instead of cellulose
    Very nice.

John
    I have always followed a rule ,well its a quote by an engineer who i looked up to at the start of my career, There's no such thing as a bad material Just bad application of that material

Wood is mother natures original composite ,You cant knock it

One other thing Im not sure you CNC zone guys are aware of is that of post curing epoxies are different in many ways ,I cant see any mention in the 20 or so pages I got through last night or using the search button.
    Im seriously considering making a small machine for cutting tubes (i build bicycles as a hobby you could say)

Someone might want to investigate that,Think of it like heat treatment for epoxy.I'm wondering if anyone has tried it??

CompositePro,

There has been a lot of stuff covered in the nearly 400 pages of this thread. There is another thread that attempted to index the thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/epoxy_...es_thread.html. It hasn't been updated for a while but you might find mention of some interesting discussions there. As you can imagine, most everything has been touched on at one time or another.

bob

heres an example
    Hi friend

I has been engaging in epoxy granite since 2007.
    Nanotech use epoxy granite base. In order to reinforce tensile strength and bending strength, carbon fibres are mixed inside epoxy granite.

However, I used to mix carbon fiber inside epoxy granite, it's not easy to operate it.

Regards

Steven

Was just wondering why your working in a similar way to making composite parts

Carbon will stiffen the structure, mould a shell fill it with rocks and local reinforcing fibres

Get rid of the vibrator and use a vacuum pump on the mould to degass (i know this works)all the fixings holes etc are already moulded in and replicated to microns

Where Iwork they do carbon gantrys for very large aerospace machining centres they move quicker and are stiffer thats all ,Its not a million miles away from where you guys are at

heres a link from one of the companies who does this kind of thing website

Damping Composite

Composite Machine Building Components thats a beutiful Z axis
    For epoxy granite, it's impossible to use vacuum pump, because resin is very sticky. The air is not easy to go out. In China, somebody try vacuum casting, but never get good result. What's more, sometimes mould is big, the vacuum equipment can not fit it.

Via link your website, I know about the company. Some of my friend saw the material in EMO, but we don't know about it.

As my knowledge, Korean use such material as gantry for egraving machine. But the quantity is not big.

Would you please introduce you material to us?

In China, some of machine builder consider carbon fibre as gantry, however, they do not know about it.

Regards

Steven

We'd have to understand how the carbon fibers are stratified in the epoxy-granite Remember, the original mix for epoxy-granite was somewhere around 6 or 7% epoxy - the rest aggregate

Carbon Fibre has minuses as well as pluses

When incorporating carbon fibre in your mix or blend, you need to remember that it is electrically conductive. This can cause another, perhaps unwanted effect to your mix. Building parts with carbon fibre reinforcement has caused a lot of people a lot of grief over the years.
    Russell Dunn
    Xuzhou, PR China

Quote Originally Posted by Steven.ji View Post
    For epoxy granite, it's impossible to use vacuum pump, because resin is very sticky. The air is not easy to go out. In China, somebody try vacuum casting, but never get good result. What's more, sometimes mould is big, the vacuum equipment can not fit it.

Via link your website, I know about the company. Some of my friend saw the material in EMO, but we don't know about it.

As my knowledge, Korean use such material as gantry for egraving machine. But the quantity is not big.

Would you please introduce you material to us?

In China, some of machine builder consider carbon fibre as gantry, however, they do not know about it.

Regards

Steven
    My machine was casted using an MK vacuum machine, it depends on the resin type you're using, however i got a wonderful result.
    The key process is to use a resin with a long pot life.
    Mix resin and hardener inside the vacuum machine, then mix with the filler elements and vacuum again, then fill the mould, vacuum and let it harden, then postcure at 80-90 deg.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by jonixllc View Post
    We'd have to understand how the carbon fibers are stratified in the epoxy-granite Remember, the original mix for epoxy-granite was somewhere around 6 or 7% epoxy - the rest aggregate
    Firstly, mix the carbon fibers inside resin, then mix sand and resin together.

Quote Originally Posted by leix_99 View Post
    My machine was casted using an MK vacuum machine, it depends on the resin type you're using, however i got a wonderful result.
    The key process is to use a resin with a long pot life.
    Mix resin and hardener inside the vacuum machine, then mix with the filler elements and vacuum again, then fill the mould, vacuum and let it harden, then postcure at 80-90 deg.

Cheers!
    what machine do you cast?

Small and thin part is possbile to cast by vaccum, but big parts are impossible

Nice machine leix_99 I am looking forward to seeing it run.Will you share the resin you used?
    I am sure we are all curious.Post cure (and everything else epoxy) is new to me.What
    improvement does this make to the epoxy?Did you vacum for long ?From what I understand
    the proffessionals dilute the epoxy to lower the viscosity making air removal by vacum simpler
    ( the diluent evaporating at the same time).Vibration is also used which intuitively I
    can see would assist the release of air.

Quote Originally Posted by lgalla View Post

Is there anyone with experience for such material?

Page 233 of 253 133183223231232233234235243