588,489 active members*
3,969 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 24 of 29 142223242526
    You're welcome?

For MAXIM

Hi Max

Thought I'd throw in my 2 Cents... I too got very excited when I saw that Mill with stand for $950....had to have it... so I ordered it... that was wayyy back in Early July... I finally cancelled my order about 3 weeks ago ( still no sign of the mills )... However.. I did find a mill ( actually one with a bigger motor ).. I asked some opinions on here and decided on it..... it's a BF20Lv from Pat at Machine Tools Warehouse.... I should have it by about Mid December... I think they still have 1 left... ( they will all arrive the same time. ) The guys name is Pat, and they are in Cambridge Ontario. I am in Newfoundland... so with shipping etc.... this machine will cost me the same amount as the Grizzley.
    Hope this helps.

Paul
    Imacman

Newfoundland

Is this mill still on backorder? I ordered one today 11/4. No mention on their site it's on back order. I was after a Weiss/PM 30MV. No response from Weiss, I e-mailed twice and called twice. P/M won't have the mills for 90 days. Sounds like I should also check my c/c charge.

Those have been on backorder since at least late june early july.... I was calling them about every 2 weeks..... they kept pushing the date ahead...and ahead... Enough of that.... then the day after I cancelled my order I got two... not one... but two phone calls from Grizzly.... telling me that... Surprise Surprise..... the delivery date was again... pushed ahead..... I hear they're due to arrive in September of 2013.... but I wouldn't hold my breath!...lol...

Best of luck

Paul

Imacman

Newfoundland

So the flip side to the grizzly customer service........

I actually own several large grizzly machines including the G0704, and the mill was the first back ordered item from them ever. Obviously, Hoss'es post have made these mills extremely popular. I had a large bandsaw sent from grizzly, damaged by the shipper, they handled the claim with the utmost professionalism...including many emails and phone calls and I'd buy grizzly without hesitation. I personally would say that there is alot of BS going on over the frustration with the fact that these mills are backordered and you have to wait 3-6months to get one.

Having said that, mine is still in the crate and I'd be willing to sell it at a slight premium and order another, my cnc fund is going straight to the U of I in champaign right now and I won't be able to cnc this thing until june.

Brian

For Brian...

Hi Brian, read your post regard the 'backorder" issue with Grizzly... you wrote...
    "I personally would say that there is alot of *_BS_* going on over the frustration with the fact that these mills are backordered and you have to wait 3-6months to get one."..... I'm not sure what you mean?... Do you mean... that Grizzly is doing something?... or are you saying the back order issue raised by people like me self is "BS"?.... I can assure you..... I Until 3 weeks ago ( when I finally gave up and cancelled my order ) had been waiting since the end of June.... I think 5 Months of being told... 2 more weeks... two more weeks from Grizzly...is outrageous don't you? I can't believe they are still advertising it on the website..... Where I live the company would be fined for advertising a product they do not have..

I've read your post a few times, and I'm not sure which angle you're coming from, no offense is intended.

Paul

Imacman

Newfoundland

I don't see the backorder issue as BS. People should know that Grizzly has been out of them for months and the delivery dates they have been providing seem to be about as useful as a magic 8 ball in predicting when your product will arrive. That said I think they had to refuse the last shipment due to QC issues which is a far better reason than most places that this starts happening to. They didn't just roll the dice and see who returned it which quite a few places would do.

It's really quite amazing to me how fast they went from in-stock but at a premium all over the web to completely out of stock everywhere. There seems to be a total feeding frenzy on them and that would concern me that the factories might start trying to output more units at whatever quality loss they could get away with. Hopefully that is not the case.

QC Issue

Here's an interesting fact..... just before I cancelled my order word came out about the QC issue from Grizzly..... When I heard this... I called "Tina" In international orders at Grizzly..... Very nice girl, I've had about 12 phone conversations with her, she is the person that finds out the moment that a shipment arrives. I called her to find out when the shipment with the QC issues had arrived ( I was thinking this could give me a better Idea of how long it would take in actual "On The Move" shipping via sea & land etc, for the replacements to get into the US...... interestingly enough she told me that No shipment had arrived QC issues or otherwise. I was then told by a source on here, that it's a tactic thats used to make the company appear to have the customers best interest a heart... right... right... After my conversations with Tina at Grizzly... I don't buy it... and they shouldn't be selling it.... Honesty has always...and will always be the best policy.

Paul

Newfoundland

Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    I don't see the backorder issue as BS. People should know that Grizzly has been out of them for months and the delivery dates they have been providing seem to be about as useful as a magic 8 ball in predicting when your product will arrive. That said I think they had to refuse the last shipment due to QC issues which is a far better reason than most places that this starts happening to. They didn't just roll the dice and see who returned it which quite a few places would do.

It's really quite amazing to me how fast they went from in-stock but at a premium all over the web to completely out of stock everywhere. There seems to be a total feeding frenzy on them and that would concern me that the factories might start trying to output more units at whatever quality loss they could get away with. Hopefully that is not the case.
    Yeah these seem to be ultra hot mills right now. You get a whole lot of mill (with a stand mind you) for a little price tag. You have to spend a good amount more to get the next larger mill. People are ordering them like crazy.

As for QC issues...if they did refuse them because of problems then that's a good thing. I like this mill when it is running, but unfortunately I've had numerous issues with mine. Draw bar broke (poor quality pot metal), the draw bar cap is useless the way it is designed (required modification to fix), the micro switch in the safety cover shorted out and started burning up, lead screw adjustment nuts were missing the M4 cap screws, the gib strip screw wasn't engaging in the rear of the Y strip causing the strip to seize up which was made even worse by the strip being machined on the incorrect side, and now the Motor Speed Control board popped the SCRs.

Grizzly has replaced everything without question, but the machine isn't worth having if it is going to stay broken all the time. Might as well wait till you get a good one and not have to keep working on it. I'm still waiting on my speed controller board. The part is out of stock and who knows when I'll get it. I ordered the actual burnt up SCR components hoping I can repair the one I have until the new board arrives.

In case you haven't noticed, the problem isn't just with grizzly, everyone that sells these BF20/25's is backordered.
    It would be nice if the website would say on the ordering page if there is a backorder but not many others sites do either.
    Grizzly though, unlike some others, doesn't charge you a dime until it actually does ship.
    They are the biggest company in North America selling these mills and have the best deal going right now
    so you have to expect that they are going to get more orders than anyone else
    and the waiting list is getting bigger everyday.
    I had to wait six months till I got my G0602 when it first came out a couple years ago.
    Yangzhou Kaiyun Machinery Co apparently crank out 6000 of them a year and now they have
    us in North America taking a bite out of the pie.
    We also want our R8 spindles and special orders take longer even at McDonalds.
    The stores in the Europe and Asia have plenty of stock since they've been selling them for years already.
    You can import an MT spindle version probably quicker right now.
    I have a request in to Weiss China to see what it would cost and whether they have any in stock.
    It's not gonna do any good to hound a company about a backorder, they can't make the slow boat from China go faster.
    A problem with the big increase in demand is that the Chinese may start cutting corners to spit out more.
    luckily Grizzly has Quality Control and it caught a problem with the last shipment that needed
    correction before they went out to customers, another delay but necessary.
    Sooner or later there will be enough rejects for Harbor Freight to buy and put up for sale.
    Till then you'll just have to wait.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    In case you haven't noticed, the problem isn't just with grizzly, everyone that sells these BF20/25's is backordered.
    It would be nice if the website would say on the ordering page if there is a backorder but not many others sites do either.
    Grizzly though, unlike some others, doesn't charge you a dime until it actually does ship.
    They are the biggest company in North America selling these mills and have the best deal going right now
    so you have to expect that they are going to get more orders than anyone else
    and the waiting list is getting bigger everyday.
    I had to wait six months till I got my G0602 when it first came out a couple years ago.
    Yangzhou Kaiyun Machinery Co apparently crank out 6000 of them a year and now they have
    us in North America taking a bite out of the pie.
    We also want our R8 spindles and special orders take longer even at McDonalds.
    The stores in the Europe and Asia have plenty of stock since they've been selling them for years already.
    You can import an MT spindle version probably quicker right now.
    I have a request in to Weiss China to see what it would cost and whether they have any in stock.
    It's not gonna do any good to hound a company about a backorder, they can't make the slow boat from China go faster.
    A problem with the big increase in demand is that the Chinese may start cutting corners to spit out more.
    luckily Grizzly has Quality Control and it caught a problem with the last shipment that needed
    correction before they went out to customers, another delay but necessary.
    Sooner or later there will be enough rejects for Harbor Freight to buy and put up for sale.
    Till then you'll just have to wait.
    Hoss
    everyone else is back order cause grizzly is hoggin the entire production facility. thats what i was told earlier this year. i think theres only 1 foundry doing these designs over there or something.

oh, i have an R8 spindle shaft for the weiss wmd25 machine. i dont know if it fits the bf series directly. i dont have a need it anymore since weiss USA never ended up delivering my castings, so if anyone wants it, pm me.

Yeah and if you import it from China/Europe I think you are going to get mm calibrated screws not the 10 TPI stuff the US models have. Maybe it's the Lord's way of telling you you need an RF-45 anyway

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    everyone else is back order cause grizzly is hoggin the entire production facility. thats what i was told earlier this year. i think theres only 1 foundry doing these designs over there or something.
    Makes sense that the largest retailer with the best deal would require the most units.
    At least we're giving the foundry workers a chance to earn some overtime.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

The Long & Short of it for me is this.... Yes, I'm anxious to get a machine, My shop is just about finished..... and even though I cancelled my Grizzly order and ordered elsewhere.... I'm still 'waiting"... for my machine... the difference here is that the supplier is being completely up front with me..... he's not telling me..Oh... two more weeks... two more weeks.... So Although none of us like to wait... as Hoss eluded to.... everyone that wants one of these model mills is going to have to wait... fact of life. I know that my supplier is at the mercy of his supplier... but at least I know the facts, and I'm kept informed. Thats not too much to ask for one would think. The bright side is... one day,, my machine will arrive... and the wait will be a distant memory...lol.

Paul

Imacman

Newfoundland

Hey Grizzly could increase the amount in stock by jacking the price up to meet the demand, but they haven't done that. When you finally do get your mill be thankful you won't get junk and really appreciate the value price you get this mill for. $950 is craziness! Hopefully Grizzly will take the success of this mill and maybe start doing a BF30 clone next (or whatever the next size is).

Oh, and I was told there was a 2 month back order and then I got it a month sooner than expected...and look at my troubles. I quite possibly got a quicker made cut corners production version.

+1. I got mine earlier than promised.

The mill is exactly what I would expect for the size and price tag and Grizzly did what they could to get it to me. I'm sure they are doing everything they can to get all of your $950. Their delay isn't just to spite anyone.

I called several vendors this week and they all had similar stories about no supply. Given that I have to wait anyway, the Grizzly deal is darn good so I ordered a G0704. I called first and got what I thought was a reasonable answer on how long it might be. It might take longer, or less, who knows! I have plenty of time to make the mounts and get everything ready for when the big day comes!

We're all in the same boat! At least some of us have smaller mills to keep us busy.

cheers,
    Michael
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

I know there was a post on the speed controller in the G0704, but Ill be darned if I can find it. Ive been searching Google for the past 45 mins trying, with no luck. Anybody remember were its at?

My motor fried, and its gonna be middle of December they said before I get a motor, so Ive got another one Im putting on, and I was debating using the same speed controller, but when it is hooked up, it puts out about 56 volts no matter were the knob is at, and the motor spins like crazy. Im thinking something might be wrong with the speed control, but it was working fine even after the motor was half fried, until I was using it a little longer and then popped the little fuse in the back. Its possible that something else fried along with the fuse.

Any ideas?

Brian =)

+1 on delivery earlier than expected.

Paul, not to ruin this thread with more crap, but... I think alot of people have posted about grizzly's poor customer service based on the fact these mills are backordered and they cant get their order like yesterday (the new ebay driven mentality). I doubt many of these people actually have grizzly machinery or have actually have had to use grizzly customer service. I have several large woodworking and metalworking machines from them, and in fact I have been extremely pleased with grizzly and their customer service.

I'm crying BS, because several posts have equated grizzly with a fly-by-night shlock outfit and nothing could be further from the truth!

Like I said before, I'd sell mine for a premium and re-order and wait 6 months as thats my timetable (financially) right now.
    Brian

Page 24 of 29 142223242526