588,490 active members*
4,283 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 27 of 40 17252627282937

Re: Any experiences with CNC 6040 ROUTER?

The Gecko is just fantastic, but there are a little cheaper alternatives that also work reliably well. I dont regret getting the Gecko540 at all, but as I know its not the only thing that works, i will be trying a different controller next time.

This machine is really only good for engraving in aluminium. It has rigidity-issues when it comes to milling in anything harder than acrylic. My linear blocks beneath the gantry(x-axis) are now worn out, and the design with unsupported rails on the Y-axis are really flimsy, and Im in the process of rebuilding the entire gantry with linear square rails.

what you buy comes down to where in the world you live

here in Aussie land i can buy 3 6040 base units for the same cost as building one but if your in the USA you could most likely build one for about the same price

as for milling Ali i havent done any yet as i dont know how ;-) but would love to learn

From what it seems like so far, the black box is pretty stable. I upgraded to a gecko. Recently one of the drives failed causing the unit to fault. Luckily the g540 is a 4 axis controller and my 6040 is a 3 axis so I was able to remove it and run it anyways.

As far as milling aluminum its doable but you need coolant ant the right endmills if it more than a one time thing. 1/8" is too deep of a cut for one pass on these machines I don't exceed 1mm doc when machining aluminum.

Firstly, I'd be strongly inclined to purchase the 6040 direct from Carving CNC as you're dealing with the manufacturer, however if that Ebay listing really is in the US, it might be quicker in terms of freight, and maybe cheaper freight too I guess.

For these black box units, the stepper drives really work quite well, so a Gecko doesn't offer any advantage. I ultimately found the parallel interface to be what caused problems, and that was due to my PC's performance, not the unit. The solution to that was adding an Etherstepper.

As for milling aluminium, there's lots of options - I've found methylated spirits (denatured alcohol) to work really well.

One of the first things I machined on my 6040 was a 38mm thick aluminium spindle mount, and it machined it without any issue, although perhaps a bit loudly. My 6040 though has fully supported rails, so maybe that's part of the reason for the difference in capabilities?

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    One of the first things I machined on my 6040 was a 38mm thick aluminium spindle mount, and it machined it without any issue, although perhaps a bit loudly. My 6040 though has fully supported rails, so maybe that's part of the reason for the difference in capabilities?

cheers, Ian
    What do you mean by fully supported rails?

Also, what are you guys using as edge finders? I'm not sure how big of a collet we can use on the er11 spindles but most of the online ones seem to be 1/2" which seems too big.

i just start the spindle and micro step it in till i hear a touch on X and Y and use paper for the Z

Is there a way to adjust micro steps in Mach? You mean like holding down ctrl, right? Idk how much it's supposed to move each time but I don't think mine move at all.

I've tried eyeballing it with a fine tip engraving tool and it work pretty good but when recovering from a crash I've been unsuccessful in getting it back in the right place and it's noticeable when the cut resumes one or both axis will be off.

I've got z covered tho I made a diy touchplate. Is there a way to use the same plate for x and y? Maybe I should be posting these questions in another thread, mods feel free to move.

The attached pic is a fully supported rail, much, much better than plain round rails that just hang.

cheers, Ian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sbr16.jpg  
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

yes a "micro step" is that small you carnt see it its like 1 400th of a rotation of the stepper mother makes itr east to touch off lol

Quote Originally Posted by Alantron View Post
    I've tried eyeballing it with a fine tip engraving tool and it work pretty good but when recovering from a crash I've been unsuccessful in getting it back in the right place and it's noticeable when the cut resumes one or both axis will be off.

I've got z covered tho I made a diy touchplate. Is there a way to use the same plate for x and y? Maybe I should be posting these questions in another thread, mods feel free to move.
    as for re lineing up after a crash 2 things

1:- dont crash
    2:- install limit / home switches and use them

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    The attached pic is a fully supported rail, much, much better than plain round rails that just hang.

cheers, Ian
    I see, so like the rails that come on the x axis? You just converted the y and z to the same style? If you can, post pics of your machine. I have noticed that if you pull on the spindle by hand you can see the flex and have been thinking about how to fix/improve rigidity now that I've been doing more and more aluminum

Thanks, everyone. Lots to consider. I think the supported guide-rails are an outstanding idea. If/when I get one, I'll also try the alcohol as a coolant/lubricant. Still debating the Gecko controller; I may just adopt a wait and see approach. They make 'em everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere630 View Post
    Thanks, everyone. Lots to consider. I think the supported guide-rails are an outstanding idea. If/when I get one, I'll also try the alcohol as a coolant/lubricant. Still debating the Gecko controller; I may just adopt a wait and see approach. They make 'em everyday.
    If you're going to do serious aluminum milling get a mister or some type of coolant set up. At least compressed air to blow the chips away. I've used alcohol in a spray bottle and although it helps with light cuts you'll have issues when slotting in anything 1/4" or more if you can't clear the chips and keep the bit cool

Wow......using alcohol for a coolant is asking to get fried.........when alcohol burns it does so with an almost invisible flame and you only notice it when things start to get singed or turn brown, and that goes for your skin too.....the flash point is low so it can ignite easily.

Mist coolant an/or an air blast work hand in hand......coolant to prevent chips sticking to the cutter and the air blast to clear them out.
    Ian.

I see, so like the rails that come on the x axis? You just converted the y and z to the same style? If you can, post pics of your machine. I have noticed that if you pull on the spindle by hand you can see the flex and have been thinking about how to fix/improve rigidity now that I've been doing more and more aluminum
    I'd be happy to oblige if it wasn't for the fact the machine has been packed away since shortly after I bought it!

After using it for a couple of months I was so badly hooked on CNC I bought a 6090 from China, and just lubed and packed the 6040 away until I get around to selling it, which was some time ago now! But nevertheless, supported rails are far superior to unsupported, and greatly improve accuracy and machining ability.

cheers, Ian

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Wow......using alcohol for a coolant is asking to get fried.........when alcohol burns it does so with an almost invisible flame and you only notice it when things start to get singed or turn brown, and that goes for your skin too.....the flash point is low so it can ignite easily.

Mist coolant an/or an air blast work hand in hand......coolant to prevent chips sticking to the cutter and the air blast to clear them out.
    Ian.
    Noted...what do you recommend? The machine I used oh so many years ago used an air mister and vacuum cup to remove chips and cool/lubricate the bit, but darned if I remember what we used. All I remember was that it was blue and had to be mixed with water.....

Kool-mist seems to be pretty common. An online search will give you plenty of brands/distributors to choose from

If you're going to do serious aluminum milling get a mister or some type of coolant set up. At least compressed air to blow the chips away. I've used alcohol in a spray bottle and although it helps with light cuts you'll have issues when slotting in anything 1/4" or more if you can't clear the chips and keep the bit cool
    Sorry I was unclear. I do intend to use an air mister and vacuum cup to deal with chips. I was just unsure what to use as a fluid.

Page 27 of 40 17252627282937