588,616 active members*
4,645 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 27 of 34 172526272829
    Folded paper towel with a drop of paint thinner on one corner will bridge across the flats without going down the V cuts as much as something like T shirt material will. It can leave sharply defined edge staining.

The oak version always looks best to me. But I'm not impartial about that.

One other thing I do is to set the start depth to 0.010" to insure that there is no polyurethane in the shallowest cuts. Stain wipes out of the grooves during clean-up.
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Well, I sanded with some 200 today. It lightens them up.. still darker in some of the grain, but will be fine. Now I need to pick up some canned air to blow out the dust from the carvings since I don't have a compressor.
    Wood neophyte.

Still some finishing work to do, but pretty much done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2709.jpg  
    Wood neophyte.

I like it a lot just as it is. :cheers:
    CarveOne

I have issues with hinges, or how to figure out how much to chisel out to put hinges on right. And straight. On this one they are just external.

The border will be changed for any future use, as even a 60 degree bit doesn't leave enough material for the thin 'line' that is in the thicker rope.

Now I'm scrounging around finding stuff to make, since I bought v carve, gonna check their site to see if anyone shared files for cool projects.
    Wood neophyte.

There is a monthly project section on vectric.com with files to download free.
    CarveOne

Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    I have issues with hinges, or how to figure out how much to chisel out to put hinges on right. And straight. On this one they are just external.

The border will be changed for any future use, as even a 60 degree bit doesn't leave enough material for the thin 'line' that is in the thicker rope.

Now I'm scrounging around finding stuff to make, since I bought v carve, gonna check their site to see if anyone shared files for cool projects.
    If you install the hinge as I do, measure the folded hinge thickness and the pocket for the hinge needs to be slightly less than half if you pocket both sides, or slightly less than the hinge thickness if only the back panel is pocketed. I use a 12" strip hinge and do the pocketing on the back panel only. My back panel CAD file has been modified to make the cut with a 1/4" end mill. It cuts down into the panel 0.550" deep and over by 0.140" from the rear side of the back panel. It's a profile operation that follows ON an open line vector.

The 0.550" dimension comes from the folded hinge width minus the knuckle. The 0.140" dimension is the knuckle thickness minus a few thousandths. When assembled, the top panel should not have an interference fit with the 0.200" ledge that is left on the rear panel because the profile operation doesn't cut through the board. If it interferes after assembly I just sand the ledge to get a small gap. The ledge isn't necessary but I just like the looks better.
    CarveOne

Ok, I'll have to think about all that next time I make one. I guess I'll go out and price more red oak tomorrow because the wife want's to know how much it costs to make one, I think she is thinking christmas.

Use maple for the first time, cut this out of it:

Was my first cut with v carve.. ended up using mach2/3 arcs ATC inches. Worked fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2713.jpg  
    Wood neophyte.

Ok, I'll have to think about all that next time I make one. I guess I'll go out and price more red oak tomorrow because the wife want's to know how much it costs to make one, I think she is thinking christmas.

Use maple for the first time, cut this out of it:

Was my first cut with v carve.. ended up using mach2/3 arcs ATC inches. Worked fine.

Looks good. There may have been some issues with older revisions of the post processor that is now corrected. Everything works so well (gcode wise) that I never air test any new projects. Things that don't work are always due to my own mess-ups.

The latest Vectric free monthly project is a 4"x4"x4" cube box with carvings on the sides. No reason they can't be made larger.
    CarveOne

My first from scratch project.. a 'toolbox' for a nephew who is into helping his dad out with 'tools' and such. Goes together well. Need 12 3/4" long 1" dowel for handle.

I put the back panel on upside down and had drilled it already, so I may just cut another one of those to put on right side up. Need's some more sanding, then will poly the whole thing, trying not to get it in the v carve areas as best I can then will gel stain that part, then final clear coat.

.crv file attached...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2714.jpg   DSCF2715.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Wood neophyte.

great job Arbo and thank you for sharing!
    This would make a great x-mas gift.
    Thank You.

No problem, I figure I'm not in this to get rich, so sharing would be the norm for just about anything I make.

I made a comment to my wife about needing to put on some weight and grow a big white beard, since I was busy making and thinking up new things to make for christmas stuff.
    Wood neophyte.

No problem, I figure I'm not in this to get rich, so sharing would be the norm for just about anything I make.

I made a comment to my wife about needing to put on some weight and grow a big white beard, since I was busy making and thinking up new things to make for christmas stuff.
    I have three nephews that might like one. One of them is old enough to be dangerous with hand tools. Like me.

Same with me. If I make something you like, ask for it.
    CarveOne

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    One of them is old enough to be dangerous with hand tools. Like me.
    I actually said to my wife today, "my job in life is keeping my phalanges attached, from being cut off in the shed and from being electrocuted off at work."
    Wood neophyte.

Nice tool box. My wife keeps recruiting me to make presents all the time now. I need to make a Santa's workshop sign for my shop lol

Quote Originally Posted by vtx1029 View Post
    Nice tool box. My wife keeps recruiting me to make presents all the time now. I need to make a Santa's workshop sign for my shop lol
    Oh, as I make more things and improve the quality of my work, I'm sure mine will do the same. I guess while I'm waiting for poly to dry in-between running the machine, I should start making sure I have all my tools in the tools databases of each of my programs the same... need to go through and organize my files as well, go through so much clipart and organize it I'm kinda scared to do it... I think I have thousands of eps files .. need a good program that let's you flip through all of them, batch rename, etc. It's gonna be a lot of work.
    Wood neophyte.

I actually said to my wife today, "my job in life is keeping my phalanges attached, from being cut off in the shed and from being electrocuted off at work."
    Working without phalanges can be a real bother sometimes.

I survived working on high power and high voltage shipboard radar and radio transmission equipment during my military service and various civilian jobs over the years. To this day I don't know how I am still here, with everything still intact. There have been some very close calls.
    CarveOne

I saw a nifty little puzzle elsewhere, it's a 3d puzzle inside of a block of wood, so you can't see your ball moving through it.

I put together the attached crv file, the vcarving is set up with a 90 deg bit so as to cut 45's into the top, bottom and sides. I thought it was good thinking, but of course, nothing comes out like you want it to.

I'll throw it up here in case anyone is interested in looking or figuring it out. Mine is gluing up now (some of it), will require further sanding I'm sure..
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Wood neophyte.

The toolbox finished up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2716.jpg   DSCF2717.jpg  
    Wood neophyte.

I saw what they did over on the Vectric forums about your tool box file. Not happy about that.
    CarveOne

Page 27 of 34 172526272829