587,243 active members*
3,309 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 28 of 71 18262728293038
    Anyone can build their own machine, look at how many pipe rails, MDF machines are out there, hundreds, you are more than welcome to build you own 4x4 if you desire to. 80/20, MDF, HDPE, Uni-strut, v-bearings are not new ideas everyone uses them, I just provided an example to use them in harmony if you will, hence the word Hybrid.

There are tons of people on here who build their own machines, I wanted to build a cost effective 4x4. then others showed interest, so i just provided a set of plans to my build and if someone wants to pay me for them that is strictly up to them. I still believe the cost of my plans do save people many hours of time and money in materials that may be waisted.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joecnc2006 View Post
    Anyone can build their own machine, look at how many pipe rails, MDF machines are out there, hundreds, you are more than welcome to build you own 4x4 if you desire to. 80/20, MDF, HDPE, Uni-strut, v-bearings are not new ideas everyone uses them, I just provided an example to use them in harmony if you will, hence the word Hybrid.

There are tons of people on here who build their own machines, I wanted to build a cost effective 4x4. then others showed interest, so i just provided a set of plans to my build and if someone wants to pay me for them that is strictly up to them. I still believe the cost of my plans do save people many hours of time and money in materials that may be waisted.

Joe
    Thanks Joe,

Hope I see some clones crop up soon so we can all share in the fun and different ideas. I am sure you were overwhelmed with the popularity of your machines, and a private forum certainly limits the lookieloos and enables you to focus with that project. :rainfro:

Hager

Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid

Below is the notification that I received today of a new post. By the time I went to read the new threads all that is said is "OOPS" then at the bottom it says that the post was edited a few minutes later. No pictures, No links. Aparently they were removed. Why they were removed I don't know.

If this project is that "Top Secret" then maybe everyone that has bought plans should stick to the new "Private Forum" and let this forum die.

Thats my opinion. Your entitled to yours.

Don

This is the notification

Glidergider has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid - in the Joes CNC Model 2006 forum of CNCzone.com-The Ultimate Machinist Community.

This thread is located at:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...0&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
    Well, I thought I'd post this picture on this forum instead of the 4x4 forum. In the foreground you can see me actively cutting some MDF. As mentioned in other posts, even the JGRO can cut the MDF stuff without fancy shifts.

In the background, on both the right and left side, you can see the base assembly and 8020 rails.

I'm making progress and I do enjoy the process too. You can see in the picture the difference in size.

Joes Me still ur Fan

Don (dsquire),
    Sorry, for removing that post. That was probably an over reaction to Mr. Chips post about developing a competing design. I was very disappointed in reading Mr Chips post and I intended to comment but just pulled my post instead.

It's difficult for me to put into words my reaction to the post, where Mr Chips immediately declares to support a copycat the 4x4. Joe has spent thousands of hours on this forum supporting his designs, and the first time he asks for compensation, he gets a question about cloning. Sort of like, can I steal your design Joe?

So rather then posting a negative comment, I chose to remove my post, which might be construed as supporting a clone. Joe's reaction was much better and again, I'm impressed.

If you look at JoeCNC2006's total volume of work here in the CNCzone, I think most of you would agree that he deserves an award. Yet, there isn't an award suitable for the services he's provided to thousands of zoners. Come on guys, Joe is not going to get rich selling plans. There's just not enough units of sales. He works a regular job, and he won't be quiting because of the money he makes on his plans.

Yes, there are going to be copycats and worst there are going to be guys that just steal/borrow from his design, but I don't want to be a part of that traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by joecnc2006 View Post
    Yes, there are a few people who are building it already and almost up to the gantry area, it is a very fast build in comparison to others i have built. And others are getting the parts needed for their build, not because of lack of interest here, but because they are busy now, Its like during the week you do not have as many post as you do on sunday and monday after people spent the weekend on their machines they post results, its only been a few days so i'm sure you will start seeing more on the machine soon.

I am trying to do a demo video of the machine to post this weekend, hopefully.

Joe
    Maybe not.

Here is the picture I posted previously. In the foreground is the new MDF being cut on my JGRO. I've loved that JGRO but it's time to expand.

In the background, on both the right and left side, you can see the base assembly and 8020 rails.

I'm really having fun with this build.

In the model airplane world, there's an old saying, that building it is half the fun. There's no exception here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First MDF cuts and basestand in the background.jpg  

Looks good so far dave, you will have the gantry on very soon.

Thanks for posting Dave. Some of us have to enjoy this machine through the efforts of others for the time being.

I'm waiting on my bolts and the weekend. I probably could have picked the bolts up locally, but would have paid a lot more. Hopefully I can hit it hard this weekend and make some great progress. Bolts won't be here till Monday, so hopefully I can get all the HDPE & MDF parts cut and get all my holes drilled and tapped so that all I have to do is assemble everything when my bolt depot order gets here. Plus I still have just a little work left on my controller box then it will be ready to go.

Good looking work Dave!! Your way ahead of me there...gotta work again this weekend...still trying to find 4x4 building time...but in the mean time parts are coming in!! I expect my bearings to arrive next week!!

Cheers
    dewalt58

Joe's machine as a Plasma CNC

Anyone building Joe's machine as a CNC Plasma?

What changes would you make if any? Would rack and pinion be better way to drive the gantry?

Thanks,
    Mick

Mick

If you are still going to build the same size table, I would stick with the plans using the screws as Joe suggested, however, if you are going to make the table bigger(say 5x10 or something) you might be better off goin with the rack and pinion at least on the long (10 ft) axis and stick with the screws for the other two.(my screws came in 6' lg)

I plan on keeping the table 4x4, I'm doing this as a hobby so no need for anything bigger.

Thanks!!!

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Mick40 View Post
    Anyone building Joe's machine as a CNC Plasma?
    What changes would you make if any? Would rack and pinion be better way to drive the gantry?
    Thanks,
    Mick
    EDIT:
    I've got to amend this post and say a plasma cutter would not be an appropriate modification for the 4x4 hybrid. Metal raw material and a new suitable plasma bed would change the design so much the value of the hybrid design would be negated.

Hi Mick,
    I run an older ESAB shadow 500 plasma at my day job, very large machine, like 6' x 12' and all I can say is....its messy!!! You'll have to build a replaceable table bed, it eats itself with every cut, fume extractor needs to built...etc. Yes, Joe's design could be used as a Plasma cutter with some mods to the bed. That big ESAB is driven with rack and pinion on one side, I knock it off track now and again...LOL The auto height adjuster is a pain, I normaly run without it. Its an older unit, hopefully the new ESAB's have improved at least the software part of it I hope. Keyboard is not user freindly!!!

Cheers
    AL......................
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Esab.jpg  

hello
    just wondering if someone has a rough cost for the materials and parts for this machine, excluding the electrics and head? wanted to get an idea to see if it would be possible for me.
    thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by Mick40 View Post
    I plan on keeping the table 4x4, I'm doing this as a hobby so no need for anything bigger.
    Thanks!!!
    Mick
    Mick,
    After looking at the response from Dewalt, I have to amend my previous statement about the 4x4 and use as a plasma cutter. At best it would only be acceptable for light weight sheet metal. The Uni-strut base is strong, but not enough for thick steel in the 4x4 foot sizes. There would be too much deflection.

As an example, a 4'x4'x1" plate of steel will weigh 660 lbs. The Joe4x4 would not handle that kind of weight.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Glidergider View Post
    Mick,
    As an example, a 4'x4'x1" plate of steel will weigh 660 lbs. The Joe4x4 would not handle that kind of weight.
    Would they need a 1" thick steel plate, I thought that the material support was a series of curved steel vertical 1/4" strips that look to be about 1 1/2" tall?

This is what I was trying to describe.

This is what I was trying to describe.

It is from Millman 52 at http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...a+table&page=2

Or was the 4' X 4' X 1" another part of the cutter?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plasma.jpg  

Page 28 of 71 18262728293038